Parallels 15 (Mac): Updating macOS Catalina Beta to Big Sur Beta

When I select the main disk to install to, I get the error message: "The operation couldn't be completed. (BIErrorDomain error 3.)"

Has anyone else experienced this? I wanted to try out the Big Sur beta, but didn't want to risk rendering my daily MBP unusable.

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

@paulr9773, I installed from a DMG. Once you have the Big Sur installer, you can create a DMG as follows:

Code Block
cd ~/Downloads/
sudo hdiutil create -o InstallMedia -size 20G -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J -type SPARSE
sudo hdiutil attach InstallMedia.sparseimage -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build
sudo /path/to/install.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/install_build
# The next step might fail. If so, manually eject using finder.
sudo hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ */
sudo hdiutil convert InstallMedia.sparseimage -format UDZO -o InstallMedia.dmg
sudo rm InstallMedia.sparseimage

In VMWare, create a new VM and customise, setting the hard drive to at least 60GB. Boot from the install DMG and run disk utility. Select the hard drive and erase as AFPS, then the drive should go from 40GB capacity to 60GB. Then quit disk utility and install.

Replies

I've just installed 11.0 Beta (20A4299v) on Parallels 15.1.4 without encountering any of the issues above. It did take me a few goes to get it right.
Firstly you need a lot of free disk space. I had 40G free but it complained. I increased the size of the disk to have 60G free and it was then fine.
I then encountered the problem of the login failure with black screen and eventual return to the login screen. After a bit of experimentation I discovered that you need to have the AppleID that you use for developerID signed in on the existing OS running in the VM before you do the update. It's possible there is some authentication going on behind the scenes.
It's now running quite nicely.
So far, the below suggestion (posted by a number of people here) works. Just make sure that the "model" and "boardID" do NOT have the "<" or ">" characters in them and it should work to get past at least the BIErrorDomain issue.

I was able to get past the "BIErrorDomain error 3" issue in Parallels as follows:

On a real, supported Mac, run this command in Terminal:
Code Block
ioreg -l | grep board-id

2. Make a note of the board ID (mine is Mac-551B86E5744E2388, for example)
3. Run this command in Terminal:
Code Block
sysctl hw.model

4. Make a note of the hardware model (mine is MacBookPro14,3)
5. In the VM configuration, under Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced Settings -> Boot flags, enter the following (inserting the information noted above where shown):
Code Block
devices.machwmodel="<model>"
devices.smbios.board_id="<board ID>"

That should be enough to allow the installer to proceed.

"I then encountered the problem of the login failure with black screen and eventual return to the login screen. After a bit of experimentation I discovered that you need to have the AppleID that you use for developerID signed in on the existing OS running in the VM before you do the update."

paulrbarnard - I am not sure what you mean here. Could you explain it a bit more?
I logged into my developer account to download the profile on the VM before upgrading.
The boot options did the trick for me in Parallels (don't forget to remove those angled brackets < >) thanks!

Has anyone been able to install the Parallels graphics driver? 1024 x 768 is going to be a struggle until Parallels release a beta if not.
To summarise:
  1. Create a new Parallels VM by installing a fresh copy of macOS Catalina from Recovery Partition (or use existing VM).

2. DO NOT INSTALL Parallels Tools or uninstall it if it's already installed.

3. Login to iCloud account which have Apple Developer Program membership active (thanks @paulrbarnard).

4. Resize disk drive to be at least 80 GB (see article 112119 in the parallels knowledge base website on how to do that).

5. Download and install your Beta profile (https://developer.apple.com/download/).

6. On a host, supported Mac, run these commands in a terminal (thanks @danfry):
Code Block
sysctl hw.model

this will get you mac_hw_model (something similar to MacBookPro14,3).

Code Block
ioreg -l | grep board-id

this will get you board_id (something similar to Mac-551B86E5744E2388).

7. In the Parallels VM configuration, under Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced Settings -> Boot flags, enter the following (inserting the information noted above where shown):
Code Block
devices.mac_hw_model="mac_hw_model"
devices.smbios.board_id="board_id"

where mac_hw_model and board_id inside the quotes should be substituted to your values.

7. Proceed with downloading and installation of macOS Big Sur via System Preferences.
I got it past the "BIErrorDomain Error 3" using:

devices.machwmodel="iMac19,1"
devices.smbios.boardid="default"

The board
id value was suggest by Maria in the Parallels Forums.

However, after watching the white line advance for 30 or so minutes, I am at the "Black Screen".
I followed what schrodinger_cat suggested and was able to install it. However I still see the issue where it would not let me login. It brings me back to the login screen after entering my password.
After getting the login -> black screen -> login loop I created a new macOS 10.5.5 VM. This time I created a second standard user account that does not have an apple id associated. After upgrading I am still getting the login loop on my main-appleid tied account but I can login into that standard account just fine. Could it be something with looking up appleid information on login? I'm looking through the log files from the other account and have not found anything yet.
I can confirm that KeithRRRRRRRR's solution works.

Starting from Catalina
  1. Make sure you have no Parallels Toolbox installed

2. Add a second account to your Mac. Don't log in.

3. Install Big Sur

4. Login with the second account

Here are the solutions for all problems,
  • Before creating Catalina VM don't forget to resize disk size to 80 GB (at least)

• Format 80 GB disc with using APF format before starting Catalina installation (otherwise you cant use 80 GB)

• After Catalina VM installation start necessary update from Software Update, version will be 10.15.5

• Copy "Install macOS Beta" (9 GB SUR installation file) to the Applications

• Create 2nd Admin user and leave password blank (you will use it while login to SUR)

• Don't install Parallels Tools

• Copy current Catalina VM to external disk as a backup

• Complete below process (run Terminal on the real MAC not VM)

a. On a real, supported Mac, run this command in Terminal:
Code Block
ioreg -l | grep board-id

b. Make a note of the board ID (mine is Mac-551B86E5744E2388, for example)
c. Run this command in Terminal:
Code Block
sysctl hw.model

d. Make a note of the hardware model (mine is MacBookPro14,3)
e. In the VM configuration, under Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced Settings -> Boot flags, enter the following (inserting the information noted above where shown):
Code Block
devices.machwmodel="<model>"devices.smbios.boardid="<board ID>"

at the end of this process,
You will get two lines like below,

devices.mac
hwmodel=MacBookPro13,4

devices.smbios.board
id=Mac-53FDB3D8DB9CA971
  • Shotdown the Catalina VM and put above two lines to the In the VM configuration, under Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced Settings -> Boot flags

• Start Catalina VM again login with standart user (not login with the new created account)

• Run "Install macOS Beta" from applications (copied SUR Installation file)

• Wait approximately 45 mins. login with new account

• Thats all

Note: In this method you don't need to login apple developer site for verification etc.
I just finished updating my article with the latest info. Please let me know if I have left anything out.

https://mrmacintosh.com/how-to-install-macos-big-sur-beta-on-vmware-fusion-parallels-desktop/

I enter my password, login, the system spins for a little while, the screen goes black and then it is back to the login prompt

yea that is happening to me as well. I did go Mojave-> Catalina -> Big Sur and I'm running my VM in VMWare ESXi on a Mac Mini 2018. Nothing seems to work.

I was able to run Big Sur Beta in Parallels VM in the following way:
  1. Create USB install media: createinstallmedia --volume <path to usb>

2. Create New VM from USB drive and customize before install: set Boot flags as suggested above (devices.machwmodel AND devices.smbios.board_id). Disable Parallels Tools autoinstall.

3. Complete the install process

Still having an issue with logging in after upgrading successfully. Anyone has a solution for that yet?
Hi all, I read somewhere in the net that by temporarilly disabling SIP in Recovery mode will solve the problem, but for me this didn't;t work as well. We hope that Parallels and VMWare will fix the problem.