tvOS14 Audio Output Sources Missing

tvOS14 has no option to choose an output source so No Airplay to homepods. Has the Option moved or been removed from this version? I see nothing about it in the release notes

Replies

Thank you Pablovi77 for your reply. Much appreciated. I've now understood the work-around ... and it works!

However, the default audio option (which used to be there) has completely disappeared from my system, with the result that the Apple TV 4K that used to play quite happily through my Homepods stereo pair had lost the ability to do so. And all my Apple stuff is always kept bang up to date.

That’s strange. It should be there. You can also find the option on the Home app on your iPhone or iPad under your AppleTV.

have you find you homepod on appletv ? I have the same problem with my apple tv with Apple OS 14.2.

In the menu there isn't the option that I had in the old version.

Bye Paolo
The workaround using the home button works only for that session. If you put the device in stand by the configuration is loosed
Just bought a pair of AirPlay 2 compatible speakers to use with my AppleTV since I know I could choose to always have them connected. When I found out it's possible anymore, they don't feel that compatible.
I have same issue. After upgrading to 14.2 can no longer see Settings -> Video and Audio -> Default Audio Output as a menu item, so by default I can no longer set my homepod as the default audio output.

I CAN select it via control center.

PLEASE FIX THIS as it's annoying to select every time.

They are both in same room under home app. I can not select Default Audio Output in hope app either. It's gone.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of jj_k Down vote reply of jj_k
Having the same issue on my Apple TV which worked quite well with Sonos as speakers; after the update the default audio option only shows “TV Speakers”. Why, Apple? You don’t like people playing audio on non-Apple speakers? Seems you want to make it as difficult as possible to do so... super disappointed in Apple.
Super annoyed Apple, why change this functionality? Not happy!
I own 3 Apple TV's.
The selection of Audio Output works on 2 of them ... but I can't even get it to show up on the 3rd. One of the ATV's actually asked me to select a audio output speaker (selected HomePod and worked just fine). The second one did not ask, but I was able to select it in the menu. The 3rd never asked and it doesn't even show up as an option.

NOTE: All 3 ATV's and HomePods are setup in the "Home App" and each speaker is in the correct room. I did a complete factory re-set and made sure all hardware is on the latest ATV OS and firmware. I find it very strange that it works fine on 2 units ... but not on the 3rd (all the same versions of hardware).

Hmmmm - What's going on?

Tim
Same issue. I just updated one of my Apple TV’s and there is now no option to select my audio output - I have to use the phone apP
to select my HomePod as my audio output. This is a serious usability issue, I would expect more from a company that prides itself for user experience.
Same issue here... since 14.1 unable to select anything but HDMI output 😒
I changed room for both apple tv and home pod from home app in iphone and it WORKED!!!
I think I have figured out what is working and what is not. The one combination that works is ATV4K + HomePod + same room. And that’s it. If you don’t have that combination, the “Default Audio Output” option does not appear anywhere.

In the Home app, if you change the room of a HomePod to a room that has an ATV4K in it, it asks you if you want to set it as the default output. If you later try to move the HomePod back to its original room, it asks you if you want to move the entire stereo system to that room, or just the HomePod.

This does not work for non-4K Apple TV’s, and it does not work for the HomePod mini. Nor does it work for any other AirPlay outputs.

This is deeply disappointing to me, as I have speakers in the ceiling of my kitchen connected to a cheap amp connected to an old Airport Express that plays the audio from the modest TV on the wall just beautifully. I have a HomePod in a room that needs a HomePod. And I have the 4K Apple TV in the room that needs that. But the kitchen needs neither.

This is a puzzling omission, because the only thing required here is that a default output be remembered, instead of users having to set the audio output by hand every single time. I think there’s enough room in the memory of my non-4K Apple TV to remember that.

I am not one who is prone to suggest that Apple creates these kind of restrictions to force us to buy new products. But I am having difficulty seeing the technical reason why my Apple TV 4 cannot reliably remember to output its audio to a certain set of AirPlay 2 speakers in the same room.
Same issue here. Seriously, this is just criminal.
The Apple TV HD model doesnt have this option by default, the 4k should have it. All documentation backs up this information.
Why this doesnt show in some Apple TVs 4k? don't know, the option should be there.