Xcode 12 is slow when launching apps (even sample projects)

Running a project from Xcode 12 seems to be very slow during launch. Even the example projects from Apple.

Basically it feels as if the app is stuck on the launch screen?

However, if I unplug from my Mac and just launch via tapping on the App icon, it's super fast.

Anyone is having the same issue?

Accepted Reply

This isn't Xcode 12 specific.

Deleting the contents of ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/iOS DeviceSupport seems to be the fix (worked for me just now):
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/123068?answerId=420683022#420683022
  • It does help only after restarting xCode, then on the next run it'll take a while to rebuild the content of this folder (what will delay the run on the device), and after that it does work much faster.

Add a Comment

Replies

I've been having the same issue since updating to Xcode12 and Xcode12.0.1 didn't fix it. It takes more than a minute from build successful to the app finally completing the launch because it's always stuck on this white screen.
Still a problem. Xcode Version 12.0 (12A7209)

Per advice here, I deleted the iOS 14 folder inside ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/iOS DeviceSupport.  
(My iPhone is now on 14.0.1, so I left the 13.7 folder alone.)

It took a long time for Xcode to "copy cache files" from the iPhone but once that finally got done, normal build-and-run behavior is back. Nice and snappy.
for me, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63929122/slow-app-launch-time-after-updating-to-ios-14-and-xcode-12
  1. In the XCode menu, Go to Product > Scheme > Edit Scheme

2. Open the Info tab

3. Uncheck the Debug executables checkbox

has given.
This worked for xcode - 12.2 beta and IOS 14.2

Untick "Debug executable" from below paths worked for me.
  1. Product -> Scheme -> Edit scheme -> Select Run (left column) -> untick "Debug executable"

2. Product -> Scheme -> Edit scheme -> Select Test (left column) -> untick "Debug executable"

Then close and run again.
its also could be instruments cache problems
Still an issue.
In my case removing all exceptions break point works fine
Xcode 12.3 causes this problem for me. Unpairing devices does not resolve the problem.
Following exactly these instructions worked for me:

1) Unpair your phone from xcode
Launch xcode with your phone not plugged in
Plug your phone in
Under devices in xcode, unpair your phone
2) stop xcode
3) run these
rm -rf ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/iOS\ DeviceSupport
rm -rf ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/iOS\ Device\ Logs
rm -rf ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData
4) start xcode
5) plug phone in
None of the solutions seems to be working, might be wise to wait for an update from Apple.
If any of the solutions provided by other answers seem to be working, you can always try restarting your devices, it might help... Restarting your device will reboot your software and might get the speed of Xcode back to normal...
Deleting the contents of iOS Device support folder did not work for me, although it freed almost 10GB+ of precious storage.

What did work for me, is unticking the "debug executable" option in Scheme settings. I greatly thank the person who instructed to do so, he saved me a lot of time.
j'ai le même problème
Go to Window/Devices and Simulators/uncheck Connect Via Network
Hi i have found there is a Malware in xcode projects that is XCSSET that causing many issue to mac and xcode project you can see a question for this issue solution check this : https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/651012