AX88179 Drivers for Big Sur 11.0

Well it seems that the drivers for the ethernet adapters are probably going to need updating. Does anyone know where I can find the updated driver for Big Sur? I had this issue with the last beta and just remembered it now that I'm without an ethernet adapter to use. I use the 3 Gig adapter from Amazon Basics and it's worked excellent.

Replies

ASIX released a Beta Driver for macOS 11 today.
The beta drivers for Big Sur from ASIX require users to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP). That is not a very good workaround. It's actually a very bad idea as SIP provides a much needed layer of security.

I can confirm that the steps I took below can get the previous drivers working without having to disable SIP. Also, it works with the newer driver v2.18.0. I'm going to stick with this approach for now.
Got it working on Big Sur Public release...

You need the older version, I got v2.16.0 installed and working with this steps.

The newer beta release from ASIX (v2.19.0) did not have the pop up from the system privacy and would need you to disable kext.

Code Block

Resolved:
Download new driver from asix revision v2.18.0 and install
Boot MacBook in recovery mode
In Terminal: /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 5RHFAZ9D4P
Start MacOs X and accept pop up in system preferences/security and privacy. All works.

Code Block

I tried V2.19.0 Beta2 in Big Sur Public Release(11.0.1) Still is not working :(

What exactly is the root cause of this problem? Why is it so hard to release a driver?
I tried AX88179178Av2.19.0 and when I checked on System Report, Notarized - "Yes" but Load - "No". MacBook Pro 15inch 2016 with Ethernet Adapter from Ugreen.
I have a Ugreen adapter and these steps worked for me (copied from ASIX guide):

Note: If your OS is macOS11 above, please follow below step1 to disable System Integrity Protection firstly, before install the driver.

Step 1: Disable System Integrity Protection.
  •  From the Apple menu select Restart.

•  As your Mac restarts, press and hold down the Command + R keys immediately upon hearing the startup chime. Hold the keys until the Apple logo appears to get the computer in Recovery mode. The computer is now in Recovery mode.

•  From the Apple menu select Utilities -> Terminal

•  Run the command: csrutil disable

•  From the Apple menu, select Restart.

I have a solution for those who tried to re-enabled System Integration Security (SIP) after successful driver installation.
(my OS version is: macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1)

1- Unplug your USB-Ethernet device.
2- Get the latest version and discard all advices about using older versions. Get version 2.19 (beta2) which is currently available. Do NOT install driver now !
3- Uninstall old driver first using the uninstaller that comes with the latest driver. You will have to restart.
4- Wait your screen to be off due to Restart, then directly... (next point)
5- Keep holding Command+R wile your PC is booting. Keep holding until the Apple logo appears. (If you fail to enter recovery mode, shut down and repeat this point).
6- Select your account and enter password.
7- Choose Utilities > Terminal.
8- csrutil disable
9- /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent list
10- If 5RHFAZ9D4P is not in the list, enter: /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 5RHFAZ9D4P . Otherwise, skip this point.
11- Restart you mac.
12- This is the critical point which you might miss from all other instructions available: Remove Allow permission you provided earlier to asix team (5RHFAZ9D4P). This is important to let your OS accept the device again. Follow these steps carefully:
sudo su
(enter your password if prompted), then...
sqlite3 /var/db/SystemPolicyConfiguration/KextPolicy
delete from kextloadhistoryv3 where teamid='5RHFAZ9D4P';
delete from kextpolicy where teamid='5RHFAZ9D4P';
.quit
13- Install driver.
14- Now you will be prompt to Allow this driver in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy.
15- Connect your USB-Ethernet device.
16- Your USB-Ethernet device should work by now. Ensure you have ethernet connected to router/Switch to verify.
17- If it does not yet work, try running this in terminal: sudo kextload -b com.asix.driver.ax88179-178a

Thanks  IbrahimMD1!
It started to show popup and work.

On 12th step were provided wrong table name and field due to message formatting.
Should be like this:

Code Block language
delete from kext_load_history_v3 where team_id='5RHFAZ9D4P';
delete from kext_policy where team_id='5RHFAZ9D4P';

I'm sorry, but disabling SIP for a device driver is a hard no. It makes no sense to me that you can't write a driver for a USB Ethernet dongle that requires this. ASIX had all summer long to get their s__t together and failed miserably.
It works, thanks IbrahimMD1 and volodymyrk!
Thanks IbrahimMD1, it works on a clean Install and after re-enable csrutil. Also, thanks volodymyrk for the correction.
Thanks to IbrahimMD1 and volodymyrk :)

it works, what a relief !
@IbrahimMD1 putting on 12th point:

delete from kextloadhistoryv3 where teamid='5RHFAZ9D4P';
delete from kextpolicy where teamid='5RHFAZ9D4P';

it says: sh: delete: command not found

Revised instructions to install AX88179-179A USB-Ethernet driver on Mac OS 11 (Big Sur)
Thanks for all who confirmed these instructions actually works even with scenarios that one find himself stuck like after re-enabling SIP using csrutil enable in recovery mode. Point 12 solves this particular issue. However, everybody should follow all these instructions including point 12. Thanks volodymyrk for correction.

Follow these instructions carefully:
1- Unplug your USB-Ethernet device.
2- Get the latest version and discard all advices about using older versions. Get version 2.19 (beta2) which is currently available. Do NOT install driver now !
3- Uninstall old driver first using the uninstaller that comes with the latest driver. You will have to restart.
4- Wait your screen to be off due to Restart, then directly... (next point)
5- Keep holding Command+R wile your PC is booting. Keep holding until the Apple logo appears. (If you fail to enter recovery mode, shut down and repeat this point).
6- Select your account and enter password.
7- Choose Utilities > Terminal.
8- csrutil disable
9- /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent list
10- If 5RHFAZ9D4P is not in the list, enter: /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 5RHFAZ9D4P . Otherwise, skip this point.
11- Restart you mac.
12- This is the critical point which you might miss from all other instructions available: Remove Allow permission you provided earlier to asix team (5RHFAZ9D4P). This is important to let your OS accept the device again. Follow these steps carefully:
sudo su
(enter your password if prompted), then enter these four lines by sequence:
Code Block
sqlite3 /var/db/SystemPolicyConfiguration/KextPolicy
delete from kext_load_history_v3 where team_id='5RHFAZ9D4P';
delete from kext_policy where team_id='5RHFAZ9D4P';
.quit

13- Install driver.
14- Now you will be prompt to Allow this driver in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy.
15- Connect your USB-Ethernet device.
16- Your USB-Ethernet device should work by now. Ensure you have ethernet connected to router/Switch to verify.
17- If it does not yet work, try running this in terminal: sudo kextload -b com.asix.driver.ax88179-178a
Hi IbrahimMD1,

Do we have to keep the SIP disabled? Or we can enable it after successful installation?

Thanks.