Python3 - Install Command Line Developer Tools, Does It Work?

Now that it seems that Python3 is no longer bundled with macOS ( yet Py2, still is, seriously? ), the answer is to autolaunch the Install Command Line Developer Tools, which is fine, however, the launched app doesn't appear to find Python to install. Has anyone else encountered this?

Replies

Python3 has never been bundled with macOS. We are now providing shims in /usr/bin which allow you to install it with the Command Line Tools.

Can you explain what you mean by "the launched app doesn't appear to find Python to install"?
@jeremyhu, sorry, yes, my bad, I mis-recalled python3 being bundled with Catalina. The issue I'm seeing, is that CLDT never actually does anything, it just shows a progress bar that doesn't move beyond an initial colouring, and the app doesn't finish. This is on a clean install of Big Sur on a 2018 MBA.
I have the same issue.
Whenever I try to install python3 with the Command Line Developer Tool, it stucks early and never finishes.
Sorted, upgraded to the new version of the CLDT, and Py3.8.2 was installed! :)
The versions of Python that Apple ships with its tools are for Apple's use only. There is no guarantee they will work on any random projects you use them with. If you want to use a scripting tool in the future, it is your responsible to install one.