Big Sur update is causing extensive screen flickering

I recently updated to Mac OS BigSur and it was fine, of course a lot of softwares weren't working but it's common right? What's the main problem is that my mac's screen started blinking crazy that I can't use it now. The screen is going bonkers blinking. Is it just me?
  • I'm here trying to figure out the same problem when I'm working in Adobe Photoshop CC. A few times the past couple of days I suddenly get a bunch of empty windows with drop shadows overlaid one another and they flicker like crazy while everything else freezes up on my machine. 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 running OSX 11.4 Big Sur

• I'm having the exact same issues. I also have the 27" 2017 iMac (iMac18,3) with 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, though these problems seem to extend to other models as well. Like many others here, I'm also running multiple Adobe apps including Photoshop, After Effects, and Illustrator, and the issue definitely seems worse while working in those. I've also observed that it gets worse with mouse movements and/or keyboard input (for example, I frequently use Cmd+Tab to switch apps, and I often see intense flicker & drop-shadow-esque artifacts when switching in this way). It seems likely that Adobe is at least partially accountable, but I never saw anything like this before updating to Big Sur.

• I'm really surprised this hasn't been addressed? I'm having the same problem with the bottom inch flickering. The first time this was seen was 11 months ago, yet people have been commenting on this problem the whole time. Come on Apple, I didn't upgrade to Big Sur for this very reason, I wanted to wait out the bugs, and after 11 months, this one is still here.

Replies

That's what brought me here. Are you running Helium App, just curious if it's the source. I do a lot of work in terminal and my screens either disappear for a second and come back or flicker. In Safari the border content disappears for a second and back again.

My other issue is the trackpad becomes non-responsive for up to 15 seconds, most noticeable in Safari.

This is not a hardware because when I boot from an external SSD (Catalina) it runs like a charm with no issues.

Here are my specs if anyone is curious
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
Processor 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Same here
@eyepea I don't use Helium app but I get really bad flickering on Safari
also on the about Mac I get red flickering overlay and at startup, the icons background on the Touch Bar turn flashy green

MacBook Pro 16 inch
Processor 2.3 i9
memory 16gb
graphics radeon pro 5500m + intel uhd
I too have a similar issue on my MBP 2020 13" i5 2.0 GHz. It's usually a flicker in the bottom half of the screen, but sometimes the entire screen appears to "blink" for a fraction of a second. It's quite random, though it tends to happen more frequently if apps like Safari, Chrome, Terminal are running.

I have installed Windows 10 via Boot Camp and it NEVER flickers there, so I'm guessing this is a GPU driver bug that will be fixed soon in a forthcoming update.
I've just updated to the latest beta, build 20A5343i.

From the first beta I've had a flickering menu bar. Initially it was a slow rate of flickering that was only a mild annoyance. With the latest beta the flickering has become really rapid, & that's quite distracting.
PROBLEM REPORT BETA BUG SUR

1.same here I have a brand new MACBOOK PRO 16" 32GB its flickering even when the computer is not touched but it intensifies during TYPING or MOVING the mouse

2. The Systems Preferences are after being opend and clsoed not respoding to changes after a few updates.
Like if I disable battery and say show percentage its not until I close it that it shows.

THe turn off display options does not work at all.

Otherwise I like the feeling of screen feeling much larger and response feels great when using mouse and keyboard.

I've got the same issue . Just the menu bar flickering. Been using Beta 20A5343j for a few days and it just started happening.
Same problem here, menu bar flickering just when I add extra Desktops. No flickering when just with one Desktop. Even if some apps are in full screen - no flickering.

Someone have a solution to this bug?
im having the same issue, I didn't do anything to damage the screen. it started for me 3 days ago and I don't know how to fix it???
Same issue for both Beta 4 and Beta 5 constant flickering in the menu bar located in the top left corner of the display.

macOS Big Sur 11 Beta 5 (20A5354i)
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
Processor 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
I am having the same issue also with Public Beta 5.
same here ! when adding an extra monitors

MBP 15" 2018
running big sur beta 5. top menu bar started blinking. I opened mission control, deleted empty desktops. Blinking stopped.
I am facing the same problem and could not fix it. The screen is going crazy and cant use the mac any more.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of omy Down vote reply of omy
im getting the same thing here
Has there been a fix for this? I just updated to Beta 8 and now my entire screen flickers and the background blinks. It's also extremely slow. It has made my Mac non-functional. Any tips?

Edit: The dock is also missing.