Big Sur update is causing extensive screen flickering

I recently updated to Mac OS BigSur and it was fine, of course a lot of softwares weren't working but it's common right? What's the main problem is that my mac's screen started blinking crazy that I can't use it now. The screen is going bonkers blinking. Is it just me?
  • I'm here trying to figure out the same problem when I'm working in Adobe Photoshop CC. A few times the past couple of days I suddenly get a bunch of empty windows with drop shadows overlaid one another and they flicker like crazy while everything else freezes up on my machine. 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 running OSX 11.4 Big Sur

• I'm having the exact same issues. I also have the 27" 2017 iMac (iMac18,3) with 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, though these problems seem to extend to other models as well. Like many others here, I'm also running multiple Adobe apps including Photoshop, After Effects, and Illustrator, and the issue definitely seems worse while working in those. I've also observed that it gets worse with mouse movements and/or keyboard input (for example, I frequently use Cmd+Tab to switch apps, and I often see intense flicker & drop-shadow-esque artifacts when switching in this way). It seems likely that Adobe is at least partially accountable, but I never saw anything like this before updating to Big Sur.

• I'm really surprised this hasn't been addressed? I'm having the same problem with the bottom inch flickering. The first time this was seen was 11 months ago, yet people have been commenting on this problem the whole time. Come on Apple, I didn't upgrade to Big Sur for this very reason, I wanted to wait out the bugs, and after 11 months, this one is still here.

Replies

I've been looking at this on a MBP 2020 (13 inch) - the flickering is unbearable, and I want a fix for it. I tried updating MacOS but it did not work. Some report it as flexgate but that makes no sense when it appears the flickering of the backlight stops temporarily when the mouse cursor moves on screen. What I have noticed, and wanted to report on the off-chance it helps Apple figure out a fix for this issue, is that when I play videos on youtube or even via the opening "trackpad" settings (which also play videos to demonstrate the gesture controls) is that the flickering stops completely. Opening the mouse menu to setup a bluetooth mouse starts a spinning animation that appears to override whatever it is that is causing the flickering and stops it. If others can comment whether they're seeing the same results, perhaps it helps apple narrow down the cause of the bug causing this... its definitely software related my end rather than "flexgate".

• I would boot into safe mode to see if it persists there. For me it did not, which allowed me to know for certain I was not dealing with a hardware issue and seek further assistance without needing to change the screen.

Add a Comment

I have a HyperDrive GEN2 I think and it was working in an older MacBook Pro. Got the 2019 16" one and with a thunderbolt cable the screen was flickering.

My monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G7 and changing thunderbolt version in the monitor setting from 1.4 to 1.2 did the trick.

I've been experiencing screen issues on my 2016 MBP since upgrading to Big Sur, and Monterrey did not resolve them. For me, the issue appears in the web browser, both Safari and Chrome. Not all pages cause a flicker or static, but certain sites are terrible. (I read somewhere that this might be related to javascript on the page.) After reading a lot of potential fixes for this issue, like making the cursor bigger in Accessibility and running a javascript animation in the background, I still had some web content giving me fits.

I first had luck by boosting my screen brightness to the maximum setting, but that seems unsustainable, batterywise. Poking around in Display settings, I decided to change the color profile, and I found one—SMPTE RP 431-2-2007 DCI (P3)—that made the flicker disappear completely, no matter what my brightness settings were. Then I decided to tinker with the default color profile—Color LCD—and found that adjusting the white point in Display Calibrator Assistant made a huge impact on my screen flicker levels. Some settings made it worse, some better. Find the one that works for your display and save it as a new color profile called Reduced Flicker.

**Problem solved by: @ BrooksPMA

there is a bug with the cursor size - make the cursor bigger ("Settings - Accessibility - Cursor size) - solved the problem...**