After Installing MacOS Big Sur latest beta update, My mac is showing battery service required warning in battery Icon.

Hi, I installed and update the macOS Big Sur latest available beta and after installation is done, It is showing me battery service required warning in my battery icon, My mac is new and it's been hardly 5-6 months and used casually.
  • Is it the same with macOS Monterey?

Add a Comment

Replies

Please call Apple Customer Service and report this together. Hundreds of similar cases can be found on social media across the world...

Battery replacement may not solve the problem, since some people replaced their keyboards and batteries before upgrading to Big Sur and had the charging issue after upgrading the OS.

It is really annoying....

I have the same problem
Same issue after installing Big Sur 11.1. Battery was working well, I had no issues. But immediately after installing Big Sure 11.1 the battery Is not charging, showing 1% and service needed.
MBP 2016, only 91 charging cycles.
I had a long discussion and “support” with Apple support on phone (only way to get contact I have experienced) They were really trying their best, but...
Their conclusion was that the battery was defect and that I have to get a new battery. No complaint accepted (although in Norway we actually do have a 5 years complaint period according to the Consumer Act).
With the support we did “all” different start/reset and test procedures. A final test gave the status report code PPT006 (“confirming” that the battery is gone and this is not a software issue they claimed).
They claimed that the battery has been defect before the installation, but that the Big Sure software detected that the battery is defect!
Hello!, the battery, when working perfect just before the software update, was then immediately defect afterwards!! I find that illogical.
My conclusion, also after reading all the other comments, it that this seems likely to be a software issue and not a hardware problem!
Based on this, will replacing the battery solve the problem?
Has anyone done that?

Sadly, similar issue to everyone else. Right after a Big Sur installation, battery is now totally dead at 1% (now tell me to service it) and it tells me that it isn't charging.

Some facts about my situation :
  • MacBook Pro 13 2016 (2 thunderbolt port, base config)

• Was successfully updated to Big Sur (Clean install) at OS launch (November). No problem. Was also updated to 11.1 at time of release. No issue.

• I did a clean install, followed the instructions on Apple Support to prepare the computer to be sold. I used my Install Media from november, so it was 11.0 and not 11.1.

• Battery was healthy before, 242 cycles (changed two years ago in the recall for this particular model).

• Battery was at 100% before installation. Then 1% (actually, "0" according to Coconut Battery) on first Big Sur boot.

• In System Report, battery condition was "normal" but at 0 mAh charge, and not charging.

• Did another clean install, this time latest version of Catalina. Same issue, except now it actually tell me that the battery need service (did not tell me that in Big Sur.)

• Tried SMC and PRAM.

• Computer won't turn on, even when plugged in, with the power button. However, if I unplug the charging cable for some seconds and replug it, eventually it automatically boot.

So basically, I highly doubt that Big Sur simply "detected" that my battery was faulty. There is a clear pattern in this thread.
I am based in South Africa and am experiencing the same exact issue.
Macbook Pro 13” late 2017 model with Touchbar.
Battery has only done 300 cycles.
No battery issues at all with MAC OS Mojave and Catalina.
Updated to Big Sur and my battery showed Service Recommended, it says it’s at 1% at all times. Yet my Coconut battery app shows my battery health is good.
Cannot remove the charging cable as the laptop dies instantly.
Updated to Big Sur 11.1 and still no fix.

Spoke to Apple tech and they said I’m the first to tell them this issue which I don’t believe at all, as I’ve been seeing this issue reported all over on here and other places.

A colleague of mine had the same issue - replaced his brand new battery and it did the same. This isn’t a hardware issue - it’s software. Shame on Apple for not even addressing this and fixing it.
I have the same problem, MacBook Pro 2017 15"
New information :

(See my previous post from some hours ago)

Had the same issue : battery won't charge, 1%, status : get battery serviced. When I unplug MBP instantly shut down.

Tried SMC and NVRAM. Didn't work.

Well, turns out now ... it seems I have solved it ! (for me at least)

Basically from what I understand, firmware updates are linked to macOS installers (don't quote me on this, but that's how I understood it)

So my plan : Clean install from the earliest macOS version supported (in my case : Sierra), then upgrade (not clean install) one version after another until I reach Big Sur, using downloads from the App Store (Use this link : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683)

What happened.
  1. Sierra Clean Install (from bootable disk created with CreateInstallMedia command from Terminal) : In the installer, lots of shenanigans in Disk utility and terminal to revert from the multiple volume APFS drive to HFS+ one (Sierra was the last non-APFS mac OS). Eventually I had what really seemed like a simple HFS+ Macintosh HD on my internal SSD. Then installed Sierra.

Partial success, same exact symptoms : Battery won't charge, Instantly shutdown when unplugged from charge. Difference : 100% charge shown instead of 1%. However still unable to charge battery and still showed as "needing service".

2. Update to High Sierra (using this : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683).

SUCCESS ! Battery condition normal, 100% charge, can run on battery without problem, can reboot on battery, no issue. Like nothing happened. Somehow in the High Sierra Upgrade it did something to the firmware. Now the MacBook Pro is able to use battery as it is supposed to.

Right now I'm moving further, one version after another to get to Big Sur.
  • -

IMPORTANT NOTES : This is what worked for me, but I took many risk playing with drives in Disk Utility. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS A TUTORIAL.

But, I think the basic strategy of going back the version of macOS that shipped with your Mac and moving forward one OS update after another is a good and safe strategy. It worked for me apparently.

Also, one very important thing about this : THIS WAS A SOFTWARE ISSUE. My battery didn't need replacement, it wasn't hardware. Even if my method don't solve your issue, at least it's a sign that Apple should be aware of this problem and work on a way to solve it via software.
Similiar issue after "upgrading" to BigSur some time ago. MacBook Air 2019 with 210 cycles.

Battery drains over night (even when shutdown) by a lot 25-50% and often being at 0% not able to boot/display charging required until plugged in.
Upgraded my 2015 MBP to Big Sur- seemed OK. Then auto updated to 11.1. Then same problem as the others on the thread. Service recommended and the battery will not charge - machine shuts down when the mains power is disconnected. Was fine before upgrade. Tried resetting SMC etc - no effect.

Spoke to support - they have not heard of this issue, which was a surprise given the numerous reports I have seen. Tried to tell me that it looks a hardware issue and the battery might need to be replaced, which of course is nonsense. Suggest we all call Apple support and raise this.
Sort of similar issue here. Difference is my MBP doesn't even recognise that a battery is installed. Went to iStore, they did a health check and it says "Issue Found: No battery module present". However I can run it without the power plugged in. I just cant see any battery stats or no battery bar. And when plugged in it says not charging under the System Report.

Never had any battery issues before the upgrade. It's a MBP 2019 and only 1.5 years old.

Battery Information:

Charge Information:
 Fully Charged: No
 Charging: No
 Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 0
 Health Information:
 Cycle Count: 0

AC Charger Information:
 Connected: Yes

Sort of similar issue here. Difference is my MBP doesn't even recognise that a battery is installed. Went to iStore, they did a health check and it says "Issue Found: No battery module present". However I can run it without the power plugged in. I just cant see any battery stats or no battery bar. And when plugged in it says not charging under the System Report.

Never had any battery issues before the upgrade. It's a MBP 2019 and only 1.5 years old.

Battery Information:

Charge Information:
 Fully Charged: No
 Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 0
 Health Information:
 Cycle Count: 0

AC Charger Information:
 Connected: Yes
Downgrading to Sierra did not solve my problem.

However, in Sierra, the battery showed 92% but still did not charge.

If further upgrading the OS TO High Sierra and higher versions, the battery showed 0% or 1% again.

Same Issue on my macbook pro 13 (2017 model)! Apple should fix this problem as soon as possible!
Same issue. Class action may be in order.

I wonder if ties to type of battery, but I know in my case with my MBA, I do not see an 'Battery Health' button. I was thinking possible I could unselect the option to ensure the battery could fully charge, only to realize that when I unplugged the computer shut off. For awhile it would just charge to 92% and get stuck.

Essentially, it's not charging a completely good new Apple battery. Meh. This is not good at all. Come on Apple.
Speaking from experience after working throughout the day to revert my 2012 Macbook Air from Catalina to El Capitan...

I suppose this all began when I upgraded to Mojave a while back thinking it was the latest and greatest at the time. Ends up it wasn't, but apparently auto updates had gotten enabled, and I'm usually hesitant and heavily delayed in upgrading due to suspicion of higher resource requirement and generally added system slowness with each subsequent update. So to my surprise when I saw my mac rebooting automatically for another upgrade, I was ****** but curious as well.

Long story short, as soon as I got to Catalina, my battery lasted for about 30 minutes full charge (once disconnected) with a new 'Service Recommended' status. There was no behavioral changes or indicators that would suggest the battery was degrading. It was perfect condition for the most part. Obviously it's why I still have a 2012. I was thinking "oh crap, no more portable mba...", and then decided forget this, I'm reverting to a more stable and less resource intensive OS (El Capitan).

Ended up finishing the wipe and re-install successfully and I can already tell the difference with performance. I'm also going to casually throw out there that my battery now reports 'NORMAL' condition and the battery life has increased ten-fold back to its original state.

It is quite the joke honestly as I now have proof my battery is in perfectly working condition along with the MBA itself. It is 100% the OS "upgrades" to blame that are breaking these devices over time. Seems to be a bad company practice, but hey what can we do besides revert to a less demanding OS. I highly recommend it.