After Installing MacOS Big Sur latest beta update, My mac is showing battery service required warning in battery Icon.

Hi, I installed and update the macOS Big Sur latest available beta and after installation is done, It is showing me battery service required warning in my battery icon, My mac is new and it's been hardly 5-6 months and used casually.
  • Is it the same with macOS Monterey?

Add a Comment

Replies

We use three MBPs in our home office... the only one working right is the one we didn't allow to upgrade to Big Sur.

The Early 2017 15" model was fine on Catalina. It had never once missed a beat. Coconut Battery said 94% and 325 cycles BEFORE upgrading to Big Sur. Four days after upgrading to Big Sur that machine got the red battery of death and sat at 1%. Dies as soon as you remove the power cable, and demands battery service. Curious thing is that Coconut Battery now says 83% battery but still 325 cycles.

The 2018 15" model lasted slightly longer. It showed the red battery, 1% and Service Recommended two days after the 2017 unit. Coconut battery says 96% battery and only 128 cycles - so this machine is like new.

Both machines are now desktops rather than laptops because they do not function without a power cable at all times.

I am absolutely disgusted with this. So much so that when my office asked if I wanted a replacement machine sent out so that I at least had a laptop, I asked for a Razer Pro 17 instead. Shame on you Apple - fix your damn software
I'm having the same issues. It was fine before I upgraded to Big Sur, now the battery dies really fast and is saying the battery capacity is significantly reduced. Chatted with apple support this morning they want me to bring it in saying the battery is bad. 

MacBook Pro 2017

Update: After apple told me to bring my laptop in, I downgraded to Catalina and all is well. I hate that Apple is not being honest about Big Sur, its killing batteries. These MacBooks are not cheap!!!
Please, fix this ASAP. I need to work and this is annoying.Apple follow the steps of Windows? Damm!
Same issue here. Had a fully functional laptop with great battery life until I made the HORRIBLE decision to upgrade to Big Sur. Immediately my battery would drain extremely fast and now it says my battery requires service. I contacted apple support. They told me to run diagnostics and if no problems were found to sign out of icloud and restart to fix the issue. But you can guess what happened? No issues were found, signed out, restarted - problem remains!

So they ask me to bring it in for a tech to look at. First appoint is in three days but I know what they are going to say - buy a new battery. NO!

I have three days to wait so I guess I should wipe my mac and downgrade it to catalina, seems like some people have had luck with that. Unfortunately I don't have a backup to restore to. This has been a frustrating massive waste of my time.

Macbook Air 13" 2015 i7
Cycle Count 648
Same issue with my macbook pro 2016 four thunderbolt

a few days after upgrade to macOS Big Sur 11.1, it showed the red battery, 1% and Service Recommended
I've tried following ways to fix it , and all didn't work
  • Refresh Install of macOS Big Sur with usb

• Downgrade to macOS Catalina with cmd + R

• Try macOS Big Sur beta 2 version

So I went to the apple store for help , they said that the battery is dead and I need to get a new battery with around $200, damn
Same problem here

Macbook Pro 2017

Never had any battery problems, was holding very good charge, always kept on the optimised battery charging & manage longevity settings, never plugged in for long periods etc.

...a few days after Big Sur update, now my laptop is stuck on 1% battery, won't charge and says it needs a service. Totally useless as a laptop.

Apple, this is criminal.
After Christmas, I found that I could not turn on my MacBook Pro 2017 with BigSur 11.1. Battery shows 1% and not charging.
I am not sure when I upgraded my OS to 11.1 but absolutely it was my worst decision in 2020.
Now I can not work without a charge and I am even afraid to shut down my laptop.
Come on, Apple. You ended up 2020 with such a big bug...
Same issue here. Exactly after Christmas. Before that I had no issues with my battery, it had even a good performance after three years. I had a chat with Apple, they recommend to make een battery check at a service point. Meanwhile I still believe it is software related.
same issue, MBP 2016, after upgrading to bigSur, the battery shows service needed and not charging. Please fix ASAP!
I went to a Chinese forum (called Zhihu.com) and found more than 50 similar cases there that happened after upgrading to Big Sur.

This is not a rare case and let us see how Apple will deal with it.
Same issue here in Korea. I had a good battery till upgrade to Big Sur.
My MacBook Pro 2017 13" is now stuck on 1% and she is saying it is not charging.
I asked to apple store the they asked me to buy new battery!!!!!

hope new update will be released very very soon!!

Same here with 2014 MacBook Pro. Cycle count was below 300 and battery lasted for hours.
After Big Sur update battery capacity dropped to 38% and MacBook is shutting down randomly if not connected to power outlet.
Brought this issue up today on a meeting and turned out 2 other MacBook owners have the same issue. One of them has 2019 MacBook.

I had a great 9 hrs battery life with catalina on MacBook Pro 2015. As soon I upgraded it to macOS BigSur , battery is draining way fast and the laptop can hardly stay 4 hrs. I am depressed. What to do . Will there be a fix for this soon ?
Same issue after installing Big Sur, battery 1% and not charging: service needed. MBP 2017, only 93 charging cycles. Support says that I have to buy a new battery without any compensation. I tried to do a clean install, after formatting the HD the battery suddenly was 98% charged, but after re-installing the software (Catalina) it was again 1%. So, it is definitely a software issue and not a hardware problem!

I have the same problem