After Installing MacOS Big Sur latest beta update, My mac is showing battery service required warning in battery Icon.

Hi, I installed and update the macOS Big Sur latest available beta and after installation is done, It is showing me battery service required warning in my battery icon, My mac is new and it's been hardly 5-6 months and used casually.
  • Is it the same with macOS Monterey?

Add a Comment

Replies

I have exactly the same issue. My battery had 16 cycles on a day I did upgrade to Big Sur. Following the upgrade it ran an optimalization for battery and lo an behold - battery needs servicing.

Tried resetting all of the settings and PV and SMC but nothing so far helped. Even clean install didn't help.

Clearly there is something wrong with software side of things or this is a very unlucky coincidence.
Additional observation - due to battery issue my CPU is limited to 1,5GHz....
Hi all, same here Macbook pro 2018 13" . I had Big Sur for a couple of months without issue. The warning appeared suddenly a few days ago. I think after a small update. I run apple diagnostics and everything is fine. Also o resete SMC but nothing. Hope to get an answer from the support.
It's outrageous to think that Apple has not responded to this issue. Clearly Big Sur is doing this. I have the same issue re: battery health and am unable to reinstall Catalina because my systems is too old apparently (even though I was using Catalina before the upgrade). I am a published writer, and will be writing up a piece on this frustrating issue to pitch to CNET and other tech outlets. Please send me your experiences and I would like to gather quotes and get this issue out there in public. Why should we spend thousands of dollars only to upgrade our equipment with sub par software affecting our batteries, with no assistance from Apple? This shouldn't be hush hush, this needs to be known if Apple can't step up to the plate....
same issue here. Apple do something, ha.
Having the same issue here. 2018 Mac book pro... only 250 battery cycles. Battery lasts no time now and computer goes to sleep when battery gets to 50% and can't wake up without being plugged in. Disaster!
I faced the same issue after Big Sur upgrade.
I re-installed catalina via USB key & erased the entire disk in the process including removing all partitions and the battery issues are gone. No more warning and battery is working fine.
I am not going to upgrade to Big Sur anytime soon due to this bug.

I have a MacBook Pro 16 2018 with 176 battery cycles.
I also had the `battery service recommendation' after upgrading to Big Sur. I downgraded back to Catalina, and the warning sign is gone! The battery works just fine.
So it seems like we have at least identified one walk-around. Downgrade (fresh install) of Catalina. I will do this today and confirm if it worked for me.

Regardless, this further indicates we have an issue with Big Sur rather than hardware. Keeping in mind some people might in fact need their batteries replaced.

I just wonder why Apple is not recognizing this nor issued a patch. I strongly believe Apple has much better knowlegde about the root cause than we. So either this is limited to too small number of cases or it is not that trivial to fix.
Update from my side. No bueno. Downgraded to Catalina and still the same issue. Battery with 19 cycles is considered broken.
Same issue here. MacBook Air 2015 11"

The battery was fine before the update, it used to last the entire day.

Since updating it lasts 2 hours max. I've tried everything: deleted Chrome, disabled some of the Spotlight Search categories, tried resetting NVRAM and PRAM, resetting the SMC, doing a reboot and booting into safe mode...

Nothing works. Still get the "service recommendation" message and the battery doesn't last at all.

Extremely disappointed. Hope Apple comes up with a solution...

my macbook air 2017. I had the same problem so I returned to the initial system and the computer apparently returned to normal.
It only works if you already have macOS High Sierra installed.
Shut down your Mac and turn it on while pressing CMD + R. This will start your Mac in Recovery Mode.
Access Disk Utility, select on the right tab “Macintosh HD”, the location where OS X is installed, choose the Delete tab and the Delete button there.

Close Disk Utility.
And choose Install macOS High Sierra.
It will be downloaded and the installation will proceed normally.
Some friends are lucky enough to get the battery recovered by downgrading the OS, but I used to try this and failed.
Just back-up your data using Time Machine if you want to have a try, and leave your info here for others' reference.

My friends in China told me that the genius bars there have already stopped suggesting customers replacing batteries to solve this. Hundreds of similar cases were reported there. Thus, there is a possibility that Apple has already noticed this and taken actions. However, not sure when Apple will finally solve it.

I tried the lastest Big Sur 11.2 RC, but the problem still exists. FYI.
Had this bad experience on my MBP 2017 non Touchbar
  • when battery under 60% its automatically turn off / sleep

• battery only last 1 hour

• suddenly always overheat

Trying to NVRAM or PRAM reset not working
trying to downgrade the MacOS into Mojave again its working normally 100%
its totally Big Sur failed

Now that I've installed Big Sur 11.1 on my 2017 Macbook air, I'm experiencing an issue when on battery power of my instantly shutting down. I cannot restart it unless I plug the AC power back in. I've noticed it seems to occur right at the 50% battery left mark. I removed a third party Sophis app after reading 3rd party apps may be the culprit on another forum. Still is happening. Seems to be a bug in Big Sur. Anyone experiencing this?