After Installing MacOS Big Sur latest beta update, My mac is showing battery service required warning in battery Icon.

Hi, I installed and update the macOS Big Sur latest available beta and after installation is done, It is showing me battery service required warning in my battery icon, My mac is new and it's been hardly 5-6 months and used casually.
  • Is it the same with macOS Monterey?

Add a Comment

Replies

Update to above:

Apple are not taking liability for their software update which turned a perfectly healthy and fully functioning 2015 MBP into a ‘desktop’ which now needs to be permanently plugged in due to the battery bricked and not charging past 1%. However they are repairing the same issue with all the same symptoms for 2016/2017 models.

To add insult to injury they recommend I not only pay $259 for battery replacement but I also pay $500+ for a new logic board since it didn’t ‘respond’ to their diagnostics.
Hardware recommendations for software/firmware bugs? I declined

Sorry Apple but you have lost a once loyal customer as this is no way to get consumers to upgrade from older devices. Devices which were working perfectly prior to an update.
Hello , is there any improvement after 11.2.1 ? they finally accept their mistake and wrote down what update will try to heal but it doesn't work for my MBP ...
I have MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Big Sur 11.2.1 helped with battery life and after spotlight finished in some point it even showed 6 hours, also tried NVRAM and SMC reset. At least when MacBook was closed battery hold the charge state. But at some point it was back to 1.5 hours... Installed Big Sur 11.2.2 now, and getting around 4.5 hours currently (depending on tasks), but still not the best.

And Service Recommended is still there! Big "bug" Sur is the current right name. But for some reason it's not the case with laptops which already come with Big Sur installed. And Apple came up with battery replacement for MacBooks that will not charge past 1%... If 2016 and 2017...

But they should replace for everyone who have the issue or at least lower the price for battery replacement service. Around $200 for their own mistake... Maybe it all gonna change with Big Sur feature Big Sur. As I've read they rebuild the Big Sur OS.

I don't get it... how no one did not saw the problem with beta testing....
I had the same issue, I updated my Macbook Pro from Catalina to Big Sur, and the battery life was terrible and my computer would get boiling hot. I got a message saying that "battery capacity is significantly reduced" and I powered off my computer and start it up while holding "Command + Option + P + R", which reset the PRAM and solve the message but my battery life was still trash, I then check my CPU usage and there was an app called "Google Chrom Helper" which took up 95% of my CPU usage. I force quit it then immediately notice a cooler Mac and faster response times. I would try looking at CPU usage first.
I have the same problem, I installed Big Sur and the battery dropped drastically. And I just updated the new Big Sur 11.2.2 and now my MacBook cannot ON without a power adapter. I have tried to reset PRAM and it did not work. is the only solution to change a battery? It is expensive to do that. Please help if there is another way to solve this. Thank you!

I am having the same problem after big sur, but not just battery also technical service said there is a motherboard issue too.
i have same problem
Hello everyone , apple release a recall for 2016 and 2017 mbp for the battery issue February 9th 2021. You can get the service all around the world and replace the battery for free of charge , it does not matter where did you purchase your mbp. I wish to hear that the recall will cover all mbp without any year selection !! may they can understand lather on it is important not to loose their reliable customers that loosing some money.. Regards
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212163
Exact same issue, charge cannot pass 1%, 2020 macbook air with M1 chip. Reset PRAM didn't work for me
"Fix" I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with 358 cycles mine did the same after update-

Here is a Fix that has so far worked

Reboot

hold

Option Command P and R
wait for the second chime and you should be good to go
@Jonmoni Thank you so much! Thank God you posted the solution exactly when I need it. Admins please mark it as solution. It really works!
Big Sur Battery Service Reccomended Fix
This is a bug, I have fixed it 3 times with the SMC and PRAM reset- Ill post how to do it on my YT channel at my name in the bio.
  • What is the name of your channel?

Add a Comment

I have the same issue, mine is 2016 MacBook Air, after updated macOS Big Sur, battery is significantly reduced. Will contact Apple now.

Same here

Model: MBP 2015 13" What: battery died after installing Big Sir, service recommended. Unplugging shuts off computer. Returning to older OS doesn't fix it.

Did anyone try replacing the battery and keeping it on Catalina? I don't want to waste money on a battery if the problem might lie in the circuitry or if it will just die again.

Already tried SMC and PRAM and all the other standard fixes of course.