After Installing MacOS Big Sur latest beta update, My mac is showing battery service required warning in battery Icon.

Hi, I installed and update the macOS Big Sur latest available beta and after installation is done, It is showing me battery service required warning in my battery icon, My mac is new and it's been hardly 5-6 months and used casually.
  • Is it the same with macOS Monterey?

Add a Comment

Replies

I recently updated to mac 11.2 and my battery life is reduced to a great extent. I have to charge my mac every 1-2 hours
Same here:

I brought a macbook air m1 (8GB, 8Core 7GPU) 3 weeks back and it default comes with Big Sur 11.0.1 as I remember, and I update this to 11.2 couple of days back. After the update, I notice this "Service Recommended" icon. 

Cycles: 3
Capacity: 100%
Waiting for 11.3 to address the issue

Guys I never checked my battery with coconut and don't know my battery capacity before Big Sur. But after I updated I have 3h sot maximum and coconut says that it's only 68% capacity (210 cycles).
On Big Sur I have "Service Recommended" icon but on Catalina never seen this.
Don't even know should I replace battery or it's Big Sur bug

MacBook Pro 13 2017 non Touch Bar
hey , is there any improvement after 11.2 anyone ?
Hi all, 11.2 and 11.3 Beta did not solve the bug.
I kept tracking this issue but has been kept disappointed by Apple.
Has anyone tried the 11.2.1 update?
Macrumors said, it fixes charging issue
The 11.2.1 seems to have fixed this issue.
And Apple will replace the battery for the affected users.
Check the "Support"-"Macbook Pro" Section of Apple's website
Yes, the update did not fix the battery issues that have already happened. 11.2.1 has been tried and my battery remains at 1%.

It seems a permanent damage to our batteries. I think the update just prevents new cases from happening.

I will send it to Apple to get the battery replaced soon.

Check this:
If the battery in your 2016 or 2017 MacBook Pro won't charge past 1% - Apple Support
Hope they are working on a solution for MBP 2019 as well.. Mine doesn't even show that a battery component exists.
Hey everyone— So I let the computer sit on the desk for the past couple months while I tried different options proposed here and waited to see if the 11.2 update would fix this issue (it didn't)... a few days ago in this thread someone said they had their battery fixed this week... so I called Apple Support again. They escalated it, made me an appointment on Monday, and I picked up my out-of-AppleCare 2017 13" Touch Bar MBPro with a new battery this afternoon. Apple covered the cost and the dude who helped me said there is no official word but they are covering battery replacements right now.

Also interesting... when dropping off my computer on Monday, the dude next to me was bringing his in for the same reason, and I was told I wasn't the first battery replacement drop-off of the day...

Good luck!
Kind of infuriating because the same thing happened to me, but all of the apple stores were closed in CA so I had to go to Unitek to replace the battery for $$$ and it took them 21 days. Really not cool of apple not to say anything about this to their customers.

Now with Big Sur 11.2.1, my MacBook pro won't charge at all, even though my battery health is fine. Going to try and downgrade to Catalina right now.
Updated to 11.2.1 praying it would work. But no. What a waste of 3Gigs.
Still can’t remove the charging cable, 1% battery and Service Recommended.
Have booked my MacBook Pro into the istore on Monday morning for that free replacement battery. I’m based in South Africa. This is just so disgraceful from Apple and how they’ve allowed it, without addressing the problem.
Same problem here with early 2015 MBP. Big Sur killed the battery. Downgraded to Mojave, no effect. Not bothered trying upgrading to 11.2.1, since it is clear this does not fix already affected computers. Shocked to see that my model is not covered by the replacement program, despite having exactly the same issues. Spoke to support - they were no help at all - just kept saying that 'your model is not one of those affected' - total nonsense of course. At a loss of what to do next. Really disappointed by Apple. Expected more from them - really just cannot trust them to do the right thing.
early 2015 MBP bir sur 11.2.1
same problem with
https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/655506?answerId=661960022#661960022
Same here. MBP 13" Retina (Early 2015). 250 battery cycles and working perfectly fine prior to the Big Sur update which bricked the battery. Now shows 'X' through battery icon with a 'Service Recommended' warning. The battery health is now at 0%, maximum capacity of 0mAh, and will not charge. Indicator light on the magsafe plug remains green and as soon as power supply is unplugged the MBP immediately turns off.

I spoke to several Apple advisors who knew about the issue, and they booked me into a Genius Bar. I took my MBP in today and although they knew of the issue, they said my 2015 MBP isn't part of the 2016/2017 eligible models which Apple fix for free due to this issue (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT212163). The release details for Big Sur 11.2.1 state 'addresses an issue that may prevent the battery from charging in some 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro models.' so this is a known issue by Apple, but conveniently older models like my MBP 13" 2015 are not eligible for Apple's free battery repair to resolve this issue.

My MBP and its battery were inspected by Apple and found to be in very good condition with no signs of damage. And since the battery issue happened directly after the update I do not believe this is a hardware issue. I believe this is a firmware issue as part of their recent software update. While the 11.2.1 version addresses the issue for MBP's yet to have had the recent update, it does not rectify MBP's which were updated and are experiencing this battery issue and firmware cannot be downgraded, so reverting to an older OS doesn't fix the problem as others have said.

The proposed solution by Apple was that I the customer should pay $259+tax CAD for an Out of Warranty battery repair. I declined and said that Apple is obligated to include 2015 MBP's as part of eligible models in the battery replacement scheme. I am still waiting to hear back on their response but will keep you all posted.