Could not disable Game Center in my App ID for macOS

Hi everyone,

My app was rejected for containing Game Center entitlement, here is what review team respond:

Your app contains the Game Center entitlement, but it does not link against the GameKit framework.

And they suggest a solution:

If you do not intend to use Game Center, please remove the Game Center entitlement.

My app does not have Game Center entitlement enabled, but App Identifier do have it enabled by default.

The App Identifier was created years ago, and by then the Game Center was enabled mandatory, I can't deselect it since the disable button was grayed out.

I thought Apple may has changed this behavior when received rejection, so I tried to disable Game Center again, but after I deselect Game Center for macOS and try to save it on developer portal, it warns me:

There is a problem with the request entity
Please select at least one configuration for Game Center.

Is there anything I missed?

Thank you in advance for any possible help.

Regards,
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of yang.y Down vote post of yang.y
10k views

Replies

My macOS App also got rejected with the reason "Your app links against the GameKit framework but does not appear to include Game Center functionality." because the Game Center was added in the development process and removed directly afterwards by clicking on the trash button. After the delete action it gets not completely removed.

You have to do the following workaround:

1. Remove "Game Center" from your capabilites in Xcode in your "Signing & Capabilities" by clicking on the trash button (if not already done).
  2. Rename your bundle identifier to get a new provisioning profile
  3. Delete the App ID or remove the Game Center select box of your app: https://developer.apple.com/account/resources/identifiers/list
  4. Remove the provisioning profile of your App under '~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles' or simply remove all. (To find out the path of your provisioning click on the i-button (information button) beside "Xcode Managed Profile". Drag and drop the logo of the opened dialog to the Terminal and the path gets shown. Hint: Don't get confused by the naming 'MobileDevice'. Also for macOS Apps the provisioning profile is saved there.)
  5. Rename your bundle identifier back to your original name
  6. Verification in Xcode: On clicking on the i-button the capabilities will shown. Now there should be no Game Center anymore.
  7. Verification after deployment: After deploying your App and made it available in TestFlight, open your Terminal go to the Applications folder (/Applications) and input "codesign -d --entitlements - YourApp.app". The key "com.apple.developer.game-center" should not occur anymore. Neither with the value 'true' nor with 'false'.
  • Doesn't work. Step 3: After I have unchecked the box in the developer portal and click Save, the value is restored when reopening the page.

• This did the trick for me. I was afraid to delete the App ID (because my app was already in the app store AND it was transfered to another developer account). But I could uncheck the Game Center select box in the app identifier under "Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles".

I had unchecked this box previously but it was auto-enabled again after trying to upload my build!

Changing the bundle ID temporarily made it possible to uncheck Game Center and it would no longer be auto-enabled again.

Add a Comment

I just had the very same issue: my app got rejected with "Your app contains the Game Center entitlement, but it does not link against the GameKit framework." I never (deliberately) enabled Game Center: it was neither checked in Member Center, nor in XCode's Signing & Capabilities, and Game Center did not show up in .entitlements. But once I uploaded or exported the app, the summary displayed that Game center was enabled.

I followed all suggestions mentioned above, but without success.

What worked in my case was to delet all provisioning profiles from ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles, restart XCode and rebuild the app. The profiles were automatically downloaded again, and now the Game Center entitlement is gone, even when distributing the package. So maybe the issue was with one of the old profiles...

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of asj Down vote reply of asj
  • This worked for me.

• Thanks so much. This worked for me as well.

Add a Comment

Oh, hey, look at that. According to the Xcode 15 Beta Release Notes, we’ve made some progress here. Search that doc for 106596235.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"