No calls on Apple Watch after using CarPlay

Good evening everyone!

After using CarPlay, my Apple Watch (5) no longer rings when someone calls.

My iPhone 📱 11 Pro Max rings normally.

Other devices (iPad and MacBook) do not ring either.

After a restart, it works again on all devices or, alternatively, when I manually disconnect CarPlay.

I use Wireless CarPlay.

Does anyone else have the problem?

Replies

Same problem for me (Czech Republic). Wireless Carplay + Apple Watch (S4). After leaving the car -> no watch notifications for incoming calls. I have to manually restart the phone to make it work again. Very annoying!
Same problem in Chile, Iphone 12 Pro 256Gb ios 14.3, apple Watch 6 watchos 7.2, Carplay in a BMW M235i 2021. It's been happening since ios 14 was released.
Only works if a restart iphone.
It's true its fixed with ios 14.4 beta?
Same problem.
After many unparing, restarts and resets I understood that issue was related to BMW Apple Car Play.

I am on 14.4 public beta now but it does not fix the issue. I will get 7.3 beta for my watch later at home cause don’t have any charger here for the watch.
Tried iOS 14.4 beta 1 and the problem it’s not fixed :(
Just let you guys know I updated my watch to 7.3 beta and 14.4 beta for my iphone that fixed the issue. So Far so good after using bmw wireless carplay.
Just finished chatting with apple support and they are aware of the issue. This is their response:

”Okay, looks like our engineers are aware of this issue, and are working on it. Which tells me it may be fixed in the next update as the beta people had commented.”
Sorry. It does not work again at home. It worked fine at work place lol.
I have iOS 14.4 beta and WatchOS 7.3 beta, and the problem it's not fixed yet.
i just updated to the beta on both 12Promax and Apple Watch series 6 and still have the problem
I am having the same problem with Apple Watch 6 and iPhone 12 ProMax.
I use a cable to connect to Car Play on a Volvo.
After the first occurrence I called Apple Support. They were absolutely no help. Their "solution" was to unpair the watch & then pair it again. That didn't work.
After it happened again today, I re-started the phone and the issue resolved. The call appears on my watch and my MacBook.

This was not an issue with my Apple Watch 4 & my iPhone 8 Plus using a cable to connect to Car Play on the Volvo.

I have found a pattern for this. It is a WIRELESS CarPlay issue only. Wired CarPlay is just fine from what I've experienced. Yes, Wireless CarPlay needs WiFi to work, but it establishes a bluetooth connection to the radio to let it know it's there. I have a 2020 Tundra with a 10.1 DMX1057XR unit in my truck which has wireless CarPlay, and my wife has a 2019 Honda Pilot with wired CarPlay only. I was able to break hers when I plugged into my truck, but was unable to break mine plugging it into her vehicle. I do not use Wireless CarPlay in my truck, but the fact it has wifi in the radio, is what causes the issue. I disabled Bluetooth on my unit, and it no longer breaks my connection. I am able to receive calls on my watch after leaving CarPlay. I'm not a huge fan of wireless anything, so using it wired works great for me. I hope this helps others.
I'd like to update again that just disabling Bluetooth does not fix the issue. Wi-Fi would need to be disabled on the radio and use wired CarPlay only. I went back and forth a few times with Wi-Fi turned off on my 12 Pro, and it didn't break the connection. I however can't disable Wi-Fi on my Kenwood DMX1057xr, so I will be looking at other units.
I found solution.
Just turn WIFI on your Apple Watch off and keep it always off and thats it.
That didn't work for me. The real test is, the watch and your phone have to go in your vehicle and leave the current wifi wherever you're at. If the watch stays at the house, it will continue to ring.