Big Sur Beta 7 breaks SMB?

After the upgrade from Beta 6 to Beta 7 I am not able to connect to any smb-shares any more. I tried it with a Windows Server, Synology DriveStation and a Debian implementation. I'm directly getting the message Error with connection.

Accepted Reply

Unredacting the logs reveals the issue, insufficient permissions to load the kernel extension. Just run this (once):
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext

Edit: filed as FB8628919

Replies

Thank you TyngJJ!!! Was getting worried I couldn't utilize my iMac with Big Sur because of this same issue
Since updating the latest public beta today, I cannot see my external thunderbolt drives on Finder. sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext doesn't work either.

Any solutions, as I'm pretty much stuck now with a lot of important files on the external drives.
It's really helpful!
Run sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
Thanks, TyngJJ!
very helpful. the code worked.
Thanks for the workaround!

The issue affects Parallels Desktop too as it uses SMB to share in-VM files with macOS.
Thank you TyngJJ, your code worked here..
This command will work until you restart, but after the restart the command needs to be executed again.
Is there a permanent solution to it?
This command will work until you restart, but after the restart the command needs to be executed again.
Is there a permanent solution to it?
/usr/bin/kmutil load -p /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
  • command brings smb back to life!

Thank you!
I also have a problem with Parallels 16, having installed the code suggested (sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext.) ever time I open the app its crashes the Mac back to start up, any ideas for as fix?
Apple Devs: So no SMB in Beta 7
Apple: Run this.
Apple Devs: um....
Apple: yeaaa.
Big Sur Beta 7?
i have always the same problem. MacOS BigSur Beta 20A5364e and my RaspberryPi Samba Server didn't connected. VNC and Appache are running well. I have the latest updates from RaspIO 32 Bit and RaspIO 64 Bit.

OK => open terminal tipe su for the root and password
copy -> sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
and type password.. it runs
thank you. my smb is back.
This solution seems to be renewed every time you restart. Is there any fix solution to that problem ?