Big Sur Beta 7 breaks SMB?

After the upgrade from Beta 6 to Beta 7 I am not able to connect to any smb-shares any more. I tried it with a Windows Server, Synology DriveStation and a Debian implementation. I'm directly getting the message Error with connection.

Accepted Reply

Unredacting the logs reveals the issue, insufficient permissions to load the kernel extension. Just run this (once):
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext

Edit: filed as FB8628919

Replies

Thank you! Worked perfectly!!
Even i too had the same issue with my SMB CIFS share running in my raspberry pi.

I had added my SMB share as part of user login process. and also having a file share discoverable by my mac time machine for backup.

After Mac Big sur update it fails saying cannot connect.

But i had a different workaround, on time machine if i initiate a backup then trying to connect to SMB works for me. but again this goes away after restart.

is the Mac Big sure team working on to fix this issue? i had sent a feed back too.
This saved me big time. Thanks y'all!
Thank you, this fix worked for me
It does work for me as well, thank you!
Thanks. This worked for me!
Amazing, given we're only on Beta 6 and 7 hasn't been released?
Thanks for the workaround..... As of Beta 7, the bug still exists, and it's boot to boot.

Adding this AppleScript to your Login Items will fix it at login until Apple fixes it:

Code Block
do shell script "kextload /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext" user name “name” password “pass” with administrator privileges

Thanks! Worked with sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/smbfs.kext
It seemed that it was fixed on beta 7.
Thanks!!!
worked for me thanks !
My SMB-not-connecting issue got fixed with the latest beta: 11.0 Beta (20A5395g) (the same issue that was previously fixed with the command-line string that another user posted)
I am experiencing the same issue (11.0.1) and the proposed solution doesn't work for me.