[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
  • I solved this issue by uninstalling the Watch app from my iphone and reloading it. After reloading the app I paired the watch to the phone and the update started loading.

• I will say one thing today was a frustrating day trying to get the watch to pair for a few hours. Finally I have success. My fix is the same as many but it took only one try when I changed the Country and Language. I decided to use language Portuguese, and country Afghanistan. It worked. so mad I could not see straight. But success, hope it works for you. It will.

• Apple Watch 3, iPhone 11Pro w/ iOS 14.6 - nothing works to update the watch and make it a usable device, it's basically a dud now. I've tried resetting the iPhone and trying to update the watch in different language. No dice!

Accepted Reply

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
  • This didn't work for me.

• Same issue here. Reset series 3 Apple Watch to factory settings and tried to pair with iPhone X on iOS 14.6 and no matter what I do, I get the not connected to internet error when I am most definitely online.

restart, reset, reinstalling watch, changing languages, changing region- none of that worked. Very frustrating!

• @Patcwin thanks, that worked for me

Replies

I have a iPhone 11 with iOS 14.7 and I have my Apple Watch series 4 that’s not setup and I keeps saying not connected to internet. I tried a bunch of ways to get passed it and nothing. I even factory reset my phone. I found out that my Apple Watch right now is on 6.2.8. Someone help.

• Switch phone to low battery mode and try to pair again.

Add a Comment

It seems a bug in the watch app is to blame. I ran the update on mine as my watch was effected with the bug ( series 1 on 12 pro max iOS 15 beta 3 ). The watch app is telling you your phone is out of date on every device ive tried. My iPhone 6s on 14.7 reports in the app the phone is out of date , iPhone 11 Pro Max on iOS reports out of date and iPhone 12 Pro Max does the same. 

The later phones you get a very fast and can't read grey pop up square with ' YOUR PHONE IS OUT OF DATE AND REQUIRES AN UPDATE - CANCEL - UPDATE ' This is far too fast to read on later phones however on my iPhone 6 it pops up and stays up.

I got around the by borrowing an iPhone 6 on 12.x.x which was fully updated to whet is finally supported , I paired it with the 6 which then gave phone out of date message in watch app. While the 6 was doing this nonsense again like other phones I paired the watch simultaneously to the iPhone 12 and stated the update and it worked , updated , synced etc.... I then unpaired it from the 12 and the watch then paired with all devices I own. 

The issue is the App reporting the phone is out of date even on phones in date for the series of watch at the same period in time ie. old iPhone 6 and series 1 should just work as both released around the same time give or take.

Switched phone to low battery mode and now it worked. I tried everything else!

So I got my Apple Watch to take my iCloud but still say it not connected to internet. Does anyone know what to do from that point.

I have the same problem with a Watch Series 3. Here's what worked for me. At the watch screen that shows apple watch and iPhone saying move watch close to your iPhone, I tapped the i in the bottom right corner. This took me to a screen to select language and region. I selected English and United States which is where I am. I don't know why, but it worked after that.

I think when I got the watch it was set to Japanese.

Hi, I solved this problem after repeated incorrect attempts by unlocking my watch, which was not on my wrist at the time. I hope this helps, because it is lousy when things that should work, don't.

Wes

Has there actually been an update from @apple yet on how to fix this? My sons Apple Watch just will not connect and we are getting the same error as everyone else. I’ve been trying for HOURS to fix it and tried everything listed here. Much like others my patience is wearing very thin now.

Does anyone else have any ideas on how to fix this problem 😞

Same problem here, tried every tip in this thread. Chatted with Apple 2x and was told I could send it in for repair for $250. Watch is currently completely unusable. Hoping that Apple will solve this unacceptable issue.

The fix for me was going to General>Reset>Reset Network Settings> once I signed back into WiFi the download started immediately. Took around 2 hours to download and install. Hope this helps. I tried every other method here and this was the only one that did it.

I was literally trying to figure this thing out for about 4hours now and i stumbled upon this thread. Tried everything as well but this worked for me! For all of you who are still trying, please give this a shot!

What i did was: Reset to factory settings the apple watch (mine was series 3) On iphone - uninstall watch app > reset network settings > connect to internet > reinstalled app> followed thread instruction > paired the watch then update started working!

Or maybe you can just skip all of what I did and jump to threads instructions!

Here's the thread but to save you time I will try to upload a photo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/ix5pg9/series_4_unable_to_check_for_update_because_not/g6y1kaq?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Upvote so everyone can see! Wishing everyone a good day!

The problem MAY be related to being connected to 5GHz Wi-Fi. I was stuck in the reported loop and tried several of the suggestions to no avail. After resetting Network Settings on the phone, the problem persisted on the 5GHz connection (which I tried first), but on the 2.5GHz connection, the update download proceeded.

iPhone 11, watch series 4.

disable 5G on ur phone!!!

I solved the problem by just simply unpair and pair the apple watch again. It shouldn’t take too long to do that ….

All you need to do is install the update via the watch. Place the watch on the charger, make sure you have at least 50% charge, press the button below the crown, then on the screen, swipe up and enter your passcode. Click the crown and open the settings App, click General and then 'software update' and it should update successfully. If the update stalls, go back to Settings and click Wifi, disconnect and reconnect. Make sure both the phone and the watch are on the same Wifi connection. Bare in mind that if it's a big update it may take a while to complete.

Nothing is working for me and the only thing I haven’t tried is the hard reset of the iPhone itself.. I don’t want to end up erasing everything and not everything is saved to my I cloud. I don’t want to end up with a $300 watch that doesn’t even tell time.. any one have any other ideas on what I could do?