[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
  • I solved this issue by uninstalling the Watch app from my iphone and reloading it. After reloading the app I paired the watch to the phone and the update started loading.

• I will say one thing today was a frustrating day trying to get the watch to pair for a few hours. Finally I have success. My fix is the same as many but it took only one try when I changed the Country and Language. I decided to use language Portuguese, and country Afghanistan. It worked. so mad I could not see straight. But success, hope it works for you. It will.

• Apple Watch 3, iPhone 11Pro w/ iOS 14.6 - nothing works to update the watch and make it a usable device, it's basically a dud now. I've tried resetting the iPhone and trying to update the watch in different language. No dice!

Accepted Reply

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
  • This didn't work for me.

• Same issue here. Reset series 3 Apple Watch to factory settings and tried to pair with iPhone X on iOS 14.6 and no matter what I do, I get the not connected to internet error when I am most definitely online.

restart, reset, reinstalling watch, changing languages, changing region- none of that worked. Very frustrating!

• @Patcwin thanks, that worked for me

Replies

Funny how they are still offering the Series 3 watch for purchase on their website considering you can’t pair it.

https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-3/

• I have a series 3 watch and after spending hours trying to update the darn thing, read that someone suggested turning phone to Low Power mode, and voila! Now it’s working fine, new update and all!

• Concur - the accepted solution may not work for most. The approach that works for my particular form of this problem (failure to pair Watch 3 with iPhone X) is to disable Bluetooth once you have started the pairing process. Low power mode also works (it should, it disables Bluetooth).

Add a Comment

This worked for me. Make sure youre connected to WiFi.

1. Manually pair Apple Watch
  2. When iPhone prompts for an update to Apple Watch, go to settings (do not close apple watch app!)
  3. Turn off bluetooth
  4. Go back into Apple Watch app
  5. The update should then proceed
  • Combined all the previous answers about hard/soft resets and signing out/in low power mode 2.4GHz language/region on chargers but this was the series that eventually led to the update working! Thank you @Carbon85!

• This is the correct answer. Everything else (WiFi 2.4Ghz, changing Country, Language, signing out of iCloud, hard resets etc.) did not.

• This is the winner!!! The accepted solution may not work for most. The approach that works for my particular form of this problem (failure to pair Watch 3 with iPhone X) is to disable Bluetooth once you have started the pairing process. Others have posted that low power mode also works (it should, it disables Bluetooth).

Add a Comment

I literally tried EVERYTHING listed in this forum and others as well, nothing worked! Spent a few hours today just trying to update my stupid watch! FINALLY, read that someone posted here to try setting your phone to Low Power mode, and boom! It worked perfectly! Hope this helps!

I was having the same issue.. I tried it all and the ONLY thing that worked for me was changing the language to Portuguese and country to Afghanistan on my watch. Now it’s finally updating after hours of being frustrated.

The same thing is happening to me, i have an iphone 11 and i can’t pair it with my series 3 because unable to check for updates. this is so frustrating

Thanks bro. Just change the country on your iphone eg. US and reset your apple watch and change the country to united state as well. Now try paring again. you good to go. thanks

BE AWARE! The watch needs to be 50% charged or it will not work. I dove deep into all of these suggestions before I knew it needed to be at 50% or more and then it worked right away.

Short answer-:- Many or most of the suggestions here will work to get past the update error. With one critical modification. The instructions to place your watch on its charger should not be taken lightly. What they mean is that you should place your Apple Watch on an Apple watch charger, not a generic watch charger. It does not matter the brand. And for insurance purposes, also connect your iPhone to an Apple charger. So, if you have already encountered the error, here is my long answer and suggested method. Long answer-:- I, like many people reporting here, went through the frustration of attempting to pair an Apple Watch to an iPhone. For the record, I am in IT and I think I am semi-capable of pairing a watch to a phone. In my case, an Apple Watch 5 to an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I have done this with 3 other Apple watches, and several iPhones. The iPhone was pre-updated to the latest iOS. As per instructions, both the iPhone and the watch were charged past 50%. On my first attempt to pair the two, the error was encountered. I verified that I was connected to the internet on my PC and my iPhone. My wi-fi is not the best but not terrible (as per WiFiman, 187 Down and 19 Up Mbps) on my iPhone. Found information on resetting the watch and the Watch app, and my iPhone. Tried it again, and again, and again, and nothing. Finally, this professional IT person, with his pride hurt, had to call Apple support. After 3 calls with no success, I was sent to the Apple Store. On the first try, the agent was able to get past the error. Unfortunately, my wife and our dog had accompanied me and waited outside the store. My dog develop a bad nervous crisis because of people with masks, and started vomiting, etc. Anyway, I had to walk out of the store with the update only about 25% complete. The pairing process got interrupted in our way home. Next day I tried again. Nothing. Two calls to Apple Support, and nothing. Back to the Apple Store. On the first try, it worked. What???? Then it downed on me. They were using an Apple watch charger, and I was using a generic watch charger because I like the design and convenience of it. So here is my suggested method:

• Update your iPhone iOS to the latest version available
  • Charge both the iPhone and Apple Watch on their respective Apple chargers until at least 60% charge
  • Leave them on their chargers as much as possible for the rest of the process. If you need to remove either from their chargers for easier manipulation, put them back on the chargers immediately after
  • Hard Reset the Apple Watch to factory settings - Let it return to the pairing mode.
  • Turn off the Apple Watch
  • Delete the Watch application from your iPhone, and delete all the data
  • Close all open applications on your iPhone
  • Turn off your iPhone, wait about 30 seconds
  • Restart your phone. Ensure that you are fully connected to your wi-fi (turn off your cell signal, and your bluetooth, search for something on the internet)
  • Re-install the Watch application from the Apple Store on your iPhone
  • Turn on your Apple Watch
  • Your iPhone should detect the Apple Watch
  • Follow the pairing instructions
  • Do not use your iPhone while the update and pairing are still in process to reduce the chance of error
  • Happy pairing

NOTE: The software update and pairing takes about 2 hours on a good wi-fi connection. Your total time may vary depending on your connection.

• Did it ever work on your WiFi at home? My question is that maybe using their WiFi to update worked. I’ve been through all these steps multiple times with no luck. The only thing I haven’t tried is another WiFi other than mine.

• GUYS! I did all the above still no luck..THEN I went and made a mobile hotspot with my laptop and set it to broadcast 2.4ghz. I connected to that hoptspot on my phone, went back into my watch app. hit try again and it started downloading!!! I did have to turn off Bluetooth after it was paired..hope this helps someone

Add a Comment

EVERYONE I HAVE FINALY SOLVED THIS ISSUE I found no solution after scouring the internet for days but after trying every option possible to mankind I found out that hard resetting the watch by holding the digital crown and side button until the logo pops up and then continue to hold the side button and release the crown you get the option to factory reset the watch. This was the absolute only solution hence trying everything vpns, mobile data, multiple wifi networks, full battery you name it but if this does not work then your only solution is to return your watch for a refund or exchange as it is faulty.

Have the same problem with an iPhone 8 Plus (14.7) and a brand new Watch 5. Tried everything from this topic, nothing worked. I don't understand why it has to be so dificult.

• Same here. The only thing I haven’t done is try another WiFi other than mine? Have you got it working yet?

Add a Comment

Its the same issue with me. I have series 3 watch and iphone 11. First the watch app asks for the update and then it can not be updated. If this is the trick of the apple to force us to buy new watch then I am not going to do that. Better I will buy a different brand smart watch. Sorry Apple this is not done. Things should not be made so complicated that people can not use your products.

• I have tried all what is mentioned here on this forum. But it really does not work. Nothing works.

Add a Comment

None of the above worked for me! Did anyone find any real solution!!! I have Apple Watch Series 3 and iPhone 11 Pro Max. Every sync stuck at "Unable to Check for Update"!!!!

I did it!!! I did it!!! like everyone I was also stuck with a hard reset watch Series 3 and iPhone 11 (my IT ego really hurt!!) scourging the internet and trying everything, I came to a realisation that the issue for me was not of region or backup failure or anything rather a direct connection to internet!!

I normally use a wife mesh at home and after getting very desperate and some comments from internet talking about strong Wifi connection I removed the Wifi Mesh and connected by phone directly to the base router Wifi and used the below manual DNS 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 which seems that Apple server was able to respond in time that my iPhone App accepted the update!!!! So the issue seems to be the Wifi or network lag in response from the Apple server!!! I faced a similar problem when I was setting up my macbook pro for the first time and the macOS download kept failing but after many attempts it finally completed the download from the internet.

Hope this works for others!!! Reduce internet hops in your wifi and use manual DNS for faster response times. Oh Yes make sure your watch is on a Apple Watch charger not a third party charger.

I tried everything - all the resets, doing it manually, doing it in low power mode, changing the language and location, wearing it, not wearing it, updating for a family member, phone is updated.. EVERYTHING. Nothing works. I'm over it.

• I. Tried everything too. What finally worked was making a mobile hotspot with my laptop and making sure it broadcasts 2.4ghz. It’s pretty easy and takes about 2 minutes. Give that a try. Also make sure your Bluetooth is turned off after you pair your phone. Idk if that’s necessary but I did? Hopefully that will work for you. I spent too many hours working on this thing lol

Add a Comment

Check to see for the latest IOS updates for your phone. Also app updates. Once updated go back to the iWatch app and it should work.