Unable to install xcode command line developer tools

I recently did a factory reset on my Macbook Pro and I'm trying to get the xcode command line developer tools back.

When I run xcode-select --version I get the following:

xcode-select version 2373.

Even though I have a version number for xcode-select (2373) I don't seem to have access to basic developer tools. For example, here is what happens when I try to use git.

xcode-select: note: no developer tools were found at '/Applications/Xcode.app', requesting install. Choose an option in the dialog to download the command line developer tools.

This prompts me to install the command line developer tools. When I click install I get the following error.

Can’t install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server.

I also run into the exact same issue when I run xcode-select --install.

Note: I'm currently running macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6

Accepted Reply

I managed to fix the issue... I didn't have Xcode installed. I downloaded it through the App Store and everything went back to normal.

If you run into this problem, check to make sure you have Xcode installed first 🤦‍♂️
  • Yes, this solved the problem. Thank you.

• bonjour j'utilise un mac high sierra c'est a dire la version 10.13 et je travaille sur un projet flutter j'ai du donc installé la version anterieur de xcode qui est 9.4.1 sur mon mac, le repertoire s'affiche bien ainsi que le build qui me montre la version de xcode installé mais je n'arrive pas a installé la commande developper tools. comment m'y prendre ? est ce possible de developper en flutter avec ce mac ?

• For me I got this message "xcode-select: note: install requested for command line developer tools" and there is a prompt in UI to confirm the installation.

Add a Comment

Replies

I think I fixed it by downloading the tools manually at https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?=command%20line%20tools

Got the same problem, and this fixed it. Thanks,
Downloadserver are down too.
I had Xcode installed but still was getting below error from Unreal Engine:

Can't find Xcode install for Metal compiler. Please install Xcode and run Xcode.app to accept license or ensure active developer directory is set to current Xcode installation using xcode-select.

All I had to do to fix this was to open terminal and run below command:

Code Block
sudo xcode-select --reset

I hope this helps.
Add a Comment
This is on a new Air M1.

I followed instructions made here to download Command_Line_Tools.12.4.dmg, execute and install.
xcode-select --version says 2384

Still, Software Update claims that CLT for Xcode 12.4 need to be updated. It goes through the process,
but fails to acknowledge the update.

I'm trying to install Qt via mactools: "sudo port install qt4-mac", the error continues to say:
"The macOS 11.2 SDK does not appear to be installed. Ports may not build correctly."
Here is what I got when I run git
Code Block
xcrun: error: active developer path ("/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer") does not exist
Use `sudo xcode-select --switch path/to/Xcode.app` to specify the Xcode that you wish to use for command line developer tools, or use `xcode-select --install` to install the standalone command line developer tools.
See `man Xcode-select` for more details.

As you can see, the command can not locate git correctly.
I just fix it by:
Code Block
sudo xcode-select --switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/ is where my CLT located.
You should:
  1. fix your connection problem

2. install standalone command-line tools

3. switch its location store by xcode-select

I've been automating this stuff for years. There is a new (something?) in play during the homebrew install.

I had the same error as above, I filed the issue and got a response that fixed my problem:

CI=1 /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

I'm not sure what prefixing with CI=1 does but all of my automation issues went away.

I hope this helps.

Came here for the same issue. New version of Xcode was released. Git/version control, node, and several other developer dependencies all stopped working and throwing errors in my IDE and VS Code. Tried following the tips in this thread and a dozen others. What worked for me: I opened Xcode, and it pops a new dialog window to install macOS and iOS. After proceeding through this initialization, Developer Tools started working again.

• Thank you Spinnaker, this also worked for me!

Add a Comment