Mac OS Big Sur Preference error when trying to launch security preferences to Allow System Extension or Kernel extension

Hello,

We are seeing an issue with security preferences that it is has an error when trying launch security preferences to allow system extension or kext .

We have tried deleting these plists
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences*
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systempreferences*
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.systempreferences*
But didn't help.

This is happening on beta7 on Intel systems and also on Developer Transition Kit too.

Accepted Reply

Looks like it's fixed in Beta 9! Google Drive File Stream installs and Security & Privacy doesn't crash allowing me to allow it.

Replies

Hey i found i fix that worked for me!

Turn off your computer entirely, wait until the screen is black then turn it back on. While you press the power button hold down command, control, "P" and "R", until you are back in your desktop. Then it should work.

I'm on beta 8 so I don't know if it will work for everyone.

hope this helps
So I've had this problem since Beta 6. It does seem to be an issue with Gatekeeper, but it very well may have started with VMWare Fusion 12 for me as well. Let's get crazy now. This only happens on my two 2019 Mac mini's. Not my 2019 MacBook Air. I use one Mini for work and need a Windows VM so I did install VMWare Fusion 12 to test that. I don't remember if that was when this all started or not. But I did install it on both Mini's. That may not be a coincidence. I have had some limited success, however. Here's what I do (So far about 75% success rate):

Wait for Gatekeeper to time out and just LET. IT. GO. (I usually go do my grocery shopping or watch a movie.)
Reboot the machine and log in with my admin account.
Open System Preferences >> Security & Privacy and unlock it immediately. (Leave it open. Once that PrefPane locks you'll need to find another movie to watch or you'll stress eat all your groceries.)
Re-run the installer or application that will request access to something.

At this point I've noticed something different. The dialog box I get still has the Open System Preference button, but the Cancel button has now been replaced with OK. I assume because the PrefPane is open and unlocked. I click OK and it gives the application the access it needs and I can verify in Security & Privacy that it is in fact there. Now my application runs as expected.

I haven't had time to do any in depth detective work. I will get to in the next day or so. I'll be sure to come back and let you all know what I find out.
Still, issue exists with Big Sur Beta 8(20A5374i), verified today...!
Reported Bug Id : 8736010

Same problem

Mac OS Big Sur Preference error when trying to launch security
preferences to Allow System Extension or Kernel extension

This looks like the known bug discussed in this thread.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
This happened with me when i installed Parallels Desktop. After I Uninstalled it, The problem went away.
Looks like it's fixed in Beta 9! Google Drive File Stream installs and Security & Privacy doesn't crash allowing me to allow it.
Seems to be fixed in Beta 9.
This is happening to me still.
I'm running 11.2.3 (20D91) .
It started with Little Snitch, I believe. It attempted to install a kext but was not able to.
From then on, I got kernel panics in the first few seconds of booting up.
I learned that I could permit the kext through terminal and I did so, which fixed the kernel panic.
After doing this, though, I have found that the Security & Privacy pane crashes System Preferences.

My error log appears to be too big to paste in an attachment here.

Can anyone help me?

Really trying to avoid a complete wipe and reinstall, as I have TONS of preferences set for various apps stored deep in Application Support & preference folders that will not survive that.

I did a number of these things, but there's only one thing that seemed to fixed it. I ran a first aid on the external hard drive that I am using for the startup disk. After I did that, system preferences opened.