Big Sur Problem?: "You do not have permission to open the application"

With the new update off MacOS I have encountered an issue with opening quite a few off my applications as it says within the title I do not have the permission to open the application. Has anyone had any similar problems to this if so what have you done to resolve this and why does this occur.
  • Use this. It worked for me - codesign --force --deep --sign - /Applications/SpringToolSuite4.app

It will try to force sign the app and give you permission to run it.

• Thanks @SridharRaj this fix worked for me. I had been digging for a fix for about 3 hours. Watched YouTube videos, ran utilities, changed permissions, enabled apps from anywhere et al but nothing worked. I am so very grateful. Thanks again.

• Thanks @SridharRaj this worked for me too... You saved my time :-)

Replies

This worked for me:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64842819/cant-run-app-because-of-permission-in-big-sur/64895860#64895860
I have tried with all option . Please need help. Given the error bellow

Ultimate Packer for eXecutables
             Copyright (C) 1996 - 2020
UPX 3.96    Markus Oberhumer, Laszlo Molnar & John Reiser  Jan 23rd 2020

File size     Ratio   Format   Name
  --------------------  ------  -----------  
upx: /Applications/Textastic.app/Contents/MacOS/Textastic: CantUnpackException: file corrupted

Unpacked 0 files.
Same here. Our users on Intel macs are reporting that they can no longer install our app / updates as they get this prompt. I've been unable to figure out what's going on. One user said re-installing Big sur fixed it for them but others have had no luck doing that.
This worked for me on 11.1 Beta (20C5048k):
Make sure that Rosetta is installed and working, using Safari as a known, working Universal app.
  1. Quit Safari

2. In the Finder, Get Info on /Applications/Safari.app

3. Select "Open using Rosetta" (you'll want to change this back later)

4. Launch Safari

5. If you see "To open Safari you need to install Rosetta. Do you want to install it now?", click Install. (If you do see this message, you likely have had the same problem as me.)

After installation, try opening the Intel app that you couldn't open before.

I encountered this problem on an Apple Silicon DTK Mac mini after updating to a newer version of Big Sur. Before the update, I had been able to run non-Universal apps that had been compiled only for Intel. After the update, I encountered the same permission problems as reported in this thread; I tried several of the solutions below, but they did not help. I noticed that along with the permission messages, I was also seeing "Bad CPU type in executable" in system.log at each attempt to run.
Looks like somewhere among the last couple of OS updates to my current version, 11.1 Beta (20C5048k), Rosetta was un-installed, moved, or somehow de-configured.
Same issue here. I've tried all the troubleshooting options and no luck
I have this problem too ,and do many thing to solve but again show this message to me for some application in mac os big sur
any one can help us????

Now i am downgrade to catalina :(
the below info worked for me.

open terminal.
enter sudo chmod -R 755
then drag and drop the application you are trying to open.
click enter
then enter your password
  • this worked, thanks!

• chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-a | +a | =a  [i][# [ n]]] mode|entry file ...

chmod [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-E | -C | -N | -i | -I] file ...

Its should me this after using the above command

• Yes. worked for me, thanks! 

I'm also having this issue - has there been a standard fix yet?? Tried a few of the solutions posted in this thread and no dice.
Open terminal | Command+Space and type Terminal and press enter/return key.
Paste following code

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL http s://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" < /dev/null 2> /dev/null

Wait for the command to finish. After completion run following code :
brew install upx

now run this command:

sudo upx -d /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp

Then run the application normally.
Open terminal | Command+Space and type Terminal and press enter/return key.
Paste following code
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL h ttps://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" < /dev/null 2> /dev/null
Wait for the command to finish. After completion run following code :
brew install upx
now run this command:
sudo upx -d /Applications/myapp.app/Contents/MacOS/myapp
Then run the application normally.
I'm having the same problem. I get the "you don't have permission" error and then the application crashes. I send the report in to Apple and then reopen the application. It usually opens on the second or third attempt. Annoying, not fatal.

I get the "you don't have permission" error and then the application
crashes.

Is this an app that you’re building? Or an app built by some other developer?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
Same problem, and nothing works. :(
same here. this is really making it hard to develop anything on my brand new device... This new chip just doest have that "apple finish" i was hoping for, but i guess some of these issues could be attributed to the new OS. hopefully they will have it ironed out soon, and i can appreciate the pull away from intel, but it kinda defeats the point, if Im forced into just as much, or more compromises.
you cant even open it from the terminal. i tried a basic

Code Block
sudo open -a "Rosetta Terminal"

and couldn't get it to open either just a bunch of permission errors.

I am having this issue right now trying to open MS Word!!! I am trying to complete my study guide for my final exam and cannot do this without word!!!!!