MacOS Big Sur Lagging

Hello! Help please, after updating the system to Big Sur, my MacBook Pro 13 began to slow down, previously there were no such problems.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,7 GHz 2‑core processor Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Seplaz Down vote post of Seplaz
153k views
  • I'm glad it's not just me. Was beginning to think there was something wrong with my Mac. I bought the i9 iMac and really spec'd it out; built to order. But on Big Sur I get stutter animations. If I slowly move my mouse around the cursor is jittery. Almost like it's a bluetooth error but I know it's not. Watching videos and some of them will stutter too. Scrolling stutters. I have to shutdown my computer and restart to clear it up.

And my Apple Wireless Keyboard is not wireless anymore. I have it plugged directly in with a lightning cable because trying to type on it wirelessly would lag and mess up.

This is pretty ridiculous. I hope macOS 12 fixes this.

• It works! mcbkpro 13 late 13 2.4 i5 8G ram BigSur(unfortunately)

• iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

The 11.5.1 update caused video/trackpad stuttering. I also lost my directly-connected Dell monitor (iMac thunderbolt to Dell DisplayPort) video. Turning off the Dell fixed the stuttering. Moving the thunderbolt connection from the iMac to my CalDigit hub fixed the second monitor issue. Is it possible to update or reset the iMac's thunderbolt port? I've reset the PRAM so far...

` Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: iMac

UID: 0x0001001901E3F1E0

Route String: 0

Firmware Version: 28.1

Domain UUID: 3D365C05-5471-5A50-BA61-960AEA98039C

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1

Current Link Width: 0x2

Receptacle: 1

Cable Firmware Version: 0.1.22

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.16.0 `

Replies

Big Sur 11.4 fixed the issue on my MacBook Pro

• Definitely didn't fix it for me, until I did the SMC reset and PRAM reset (I did both so not sure which one is needed)

Add a Comment

I've Imac 21.5 2018

I have a really big problem with BigSur.

1. Opening time come to 3-4min (before 15-20sec)
  2. I'm waiting to import images to Illustrator and waiting for saving the document up to 10min sometimes.
  3. Some of the design tasks inside the design software have always lag and problems, I don't get the results.
  4. Closing the computer is also really slow.
  5. After opening the computer, I'm waiting 10-12 min to capable to open any of the software.

Trying to solve this issue: I reset my mac 2-3 times and set up everything again.. And I didn't get any results..

I faced this problem once when I upgraded to macOS Sierra back in 2017 and found the root cause by running some diagnostics software. This year (2021) I upgraded to macOS Big Sur 11.4 and it suddenly became super laggy again. Same symptoms, so I thought it might be the same issue. I think it is, because the same solution worked.

The solution is to go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts and remove any Google related accounts you have. Then, restart your computer and see if things work fine again. Then re-add your Google related accounts if you need them. I wrote slightly more details in my blog post here: https://www.nickang.com/2017-09-10-macbook-slow-after-upgrading-to-macos-sierra/

• It's work on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) !!

Add a Comment

Apple. I have used your products for over 18 years, for both work and pleasure. Never until now have I had to completely ditch £1400s worth of fairly new kit in order to get some work done on a laptop 2 years older than my imac 2019. (which runs painfully slow thanks to the Big Sur upgrade). I'm sure many people rely on their machines for their income which they then in turn loyally hand over to Apple in the pursuit of machines that keep getting better. I feel let down that Apple has seemingly ignored it's commercial users in favour of hype-boys and girls that just want to send each other animated unicorns really fast. Is this problem going to be addressed or dealt with in order to perhaps give us a few more years out of our current equipment? Or should I start thinking about which flipping colour I want like when I was a kid?

This was driving me crazy for a while my i9 Macbook Pro 16 lagging on keyboard input. ***?

Two things fixed it

1 - Turning off automated graphics switching - then the MBP runs on the dedicated graphics card. No more lag! So it has something to do with video drivers. But, this was using crazy amounts of battery, and since I run on battery quite often, it was not a good solution for me.

2 - Reset SMC and NVRAM (PRAM). This seems to have fixed it. Now lag-free with automatic graphics switching back on (it's reset to auto anyway when resetting SMC)

I've been having the same problems here since upgrading to Big Sur. Finder freezes, programs freeze and lag (sat on the color wheel for almost 9 minutes the other night before I had to force a shutdown). I've never had an issue with Apple products like this before.

I'm in Adobe programs all day and it's maddening. Hoping this gets fixed soon as I am absolutely losing my mind trying to work.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Since upgrading to Big Sur, I have been experiencing slow reboots, crashes, spinning beach balls of death, lagging applications (mail, Firefox, Chrome, MS Office, Notes, Calendar, etc), and very poor battery life. The battery duration went from 6-7 hours of regular use to less than 2 hours of same use. The battery health reports "Normal", but it's anything but normal.

I installed the latest 11.4 patch with no improvement of battery life or performance. The Big Sur has essentially killed my Mac Air. Please fix both battery and performance to pre-Big Sur.

MacBook Air (13-inch 2017)

1.8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536MB

Thanks!

This problem plagued me with my 16" macbook pro when Big Sur came out. It's pretty clear that Apple only cares about Apple-chipped macs anymore. Intel got the big boot when their M1 chip came out, and apple just doesn't care to support or optimize for it anymore.

I started using windows about a month into Big Sur, and it's just so incredibly snappy and fast in comparison.

I updated to the latest version of Big Sur the other day, and the issue persists.

I have a $3000 intel mac that I can no longer effectively use because of this.

This is greatly insulting as someone who has been a mac apologist for years. I never thought I'd say this, but after getting over to the Windows side and seeing how functional that world is compared to this mess, I'm done with buying new macs. I've also got my next phone picked out, and it won't be an Apple one.

Same problem here.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

It is unbearable! i9 iMac with M2 SSD, 64GB Ram runs slower than a turtle on the Big Sur! Also, now its started to shut down after a few minutes of work. Only way to turn back - unplug from the power! Whats going on???? $4000 Computer that is just eating dust, because does not work? Apple???

I bought the new mac mini M1 and so disspointed too that big sur is lagging so much. I can't even wake up fast enough. Now the 8 Gb ram is not enough for day to day use. What is going on? I am switching to my 10 years old mac now with older OS.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

The 11.5.1 update caused video/trackpad stuttering. I also lost my directly-connected Dell monitor (iMac thunderbolt to Dell DisplayPort) video. Turning off the Dell fixed the stuttering. Moving the thunderbolt connection from the iMac to my CalDigit hub fixed the second monitor issue. Is it possible to update or reset the iMac's thunderbolt port? I've reset the PRAM so far... 

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.   Device Name: iMac   UID: 0x0001001901E3F1E0   Route String: 0   Firmware Version: 28.1   Domain UUID: 3D365C05-5471-5A50-BA61-960AEA98039C   Port:   Status: Device connected   Link Status: 0x2   Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1   Current Link Width: 0x2   Receptacle: 1   Cable Firmware Version: 0.1.22   Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.16.0

• "The 11.5.1 update caused video/trackpad stuttering" - this was my experience too. If I watch a YouTube video and use the trackpad to increase/decrease the volume, the YouTube video lags/skips/stutters and there is about a half second delay before the volume changes.

Typing sometimes has a lag too, e.g. into a text editor or into slack.

Add a Comment

My Macbook Pro 15" 2019 became very laggy after update to Big Sur, and now with update to 11.5, it is getting WORSE, not better. This is completely absurd! Please do something about this Apple, it is unacceptable to offer users this experience.

Yes, Mac M1 has slowed down after BigSur update

Same problem here. Since updating to BigSur (Macbok Pro 2018) everything is so much lagging! Even typing in! There seems to be a delay all the time. It's really dissapointing that OSX is turning to a nightmare.