TextEdit Behaving Odd on Big Sur Update

Hi,

I'm an avid user of TextEdit to keep track of my thoughts and To-Do's through my work day. The result is, I end up with a fairly long text file, but not big on size in terms of storage.

After updating to Big Sur 11.0.1, I'm noticing an odd behaviour.

When every I press [Delete] more than thrice, the scroll bar jumps to the top of the text, i.e. the first line in the text file. This is very frustrating, especially, when you have lot of text and it scrolls all the way to the top.

The only solution I have found is to press [Delete] slowly (may be one character per second) to avoid the scroll bar jumping to the first line of the text file.

Also noticed, it does not happen in a full sentence, but only when when there's a short word and a line break [Enter] above and below the word.

I'm continuing with the same file I had saved on Catalina and never had this issue.

Looks like a bug to me.

[PS: I am a user experience designer, not a developer and only have minimal knowledge of coding. ]

Thanks,
Anish
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Anish81 Down vote post of Anish81
14k views
  • The cursor position is sometimes reset elsewhere in the file after a paste. Typically, and hopefully by spec, the cursor or insertion point would be positioned at the end of the paste. When the jump happens, 70--80% of the time the cursor jumps to the very start, or to very end of the file. Hypothesizing here---some memory is not being re/initialized, and random data is used for the cursor position. When the value is out of bounds, it is interpreted as fail-safe low: go to position zero, or fail-safe high: go to EOF. Sometimes the value is just some random place within the file! Woe to s/he who was already typing post-paste, thinking s/he knew where s/he was in the file!

Next, a paste will often create an inviolable amount of white space above the paste. The cursor cannot be positioned into this space, click as you might. When an insertion is made prior to the beginning of the new paste, the Inviolate White Space disappears (and the lower part of the file scrolls up).  The vertical height of the IWS seems to be about 7 lines for me, and is independent of the length of the pasted selection. Before you type to remove the IWS, scroll the page: sometimes the window acts as if an opaque empty frame overlays there and lines of text disappear behind it! (And try to scroll up, i.e. backwards, in a long file after such a paste: the window fights you every inch of way! It does not obey my mouse! It does not obey the arrow keys!) OSX 11.6, TextEdit Version 1.16 (365.2).

This bug can be triggered pasting from one plain text file to another. It may be more frequent when the paste starts or/and ends at the left and right margins respectively. That is, triple-click to grab a whole paragraph as the selection, then copy.

• I get the same on Monterey 12.4. Copy/paste from a terminal also causes issues reliably, with a large chunk of whitespace above what you paste in, which seems like maybe a vertical tab or something. deleting this sometimes jumps you to the bottom of the file. Also there are often problems with lines of text actually being displayed over the top of other lines of text.

Add a Comment

Replies

Also having this issue. I was beginning to think my keyboard was malfunctioning!
I too have this same weird problem. My text files can be 100k and it is totally annoying to be bouncing all over the file because I hit the delete button. There are many other text editors out there. We don't have to stick with TextEdit.
I also have weird problems with the "photos" app, but then, "photos" has always been weird!!
Same problem after upgrading my mbp16... please fix this bug!!!, I use it everyday and almost all day and it's driving me crazy. It also happen when you do a copy at the end of the file.
Same exact issue with me.
this is super annoying. can we please see a fix asap. it's been like this for weeks now ;(
I also have trouble with using the right arrow now on my keyboard in textedit in addition to the error noted above. If I am on a line and use the right arrow to move over textedit exits and asks me if I want to reopen...EVERY. TIME. It is basically unusable like this. Please fix!
I debated whether or not to post this, but since, tonight, I was told I was the only one to put in an official report via Apple Support, I decided to share this in case someone else has contacted Apple Support, as well ... or was considering contacting them. I contacted Apple Chat last night, but was told it was something only handled via phone support. I completed the satisfaction survey and gave the rep a good report. But, tonight, phone support told me that most of what the chat rep had told me wasn't true. Phone Support also advised no ticket would be open unless more trouble shooting is done because, looking at this thread, only 21 people have reported this issue. I was told I would have to do a video screen capture with my cell phone to show what was happening. It has been a very rough day for me, and I admit I lost my temper, opting to not waste more time to do more troubleshooting than I already have. I tried to maintain patience because I know, as a former customer service rep myself in other industries, reps are generally limited in what they can do. HOWEVER ... to be told the chat rep didn't really know what he was talking about since he wasn't a certain-level manager ... is frustrating. I'm NOT happy: with TextEdit, my 3-month old computer is performing worse than the computer it replaced. & I need TextEdit to work since that is my chosen program to put all sorts of notes & such in. I shouldn't have to change my processes due to an update-upgrade to Big Sur. Hope everyone is well, given covid19.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Troc Down vote reply of Troc
This happens to me too. In fact, unless I delete characters very slowly, as soon as I hit backspace on the first (most left) character/digit on the textline, textEdit scrolls to the top. It does so consistently.
I use TextEdit for several hours each day and this is driving me crazy.

Please fix this super annoying bug!
Still a major problem, as someone constantly using TextEdit for formatting removal and brain log keeping, looking forward to a solution soon!
Same problem, extremely frustrating for a regular TextEdit user. Please fix fast!
The same here folks, so I'm going to look for alternative text editor. As I'm not sure when Apple will fix that let see what is out there. Maybe gvim or something similar (I have vim on the shell bit I suppose we all need GUI those days)
It is a history on my MAC, running Atom instead
Completely crazy. To think hundreds of us who have the same obvious error, hasn't been noticed at all in Cupertino. Not one single dev. who has used TextEdit for more than 2 minutes, hasn't mentioned anything about it? Shocking, unexplainable.

Thinking in the most favorable light, it may have been fixed, but the bug is too minor warranting a software update. Now, if this persists in 11.0.2...
I'm having the same issue, its getting unbearable with my daily task. it was one of my best tool to take notes!!!!