Xcode asks to install Rosetta

Hi all,

just got my new M1 Macbook Air.
  • installed Xcode

• updated Big Sur

When I start Xcode i get a request with the message:

"To run Intel-based applications, you will need to install Rosetta. Would you like to install it now?"

The options are : Help, Not Now, Install

When I click on any of these buttons nothing happens (i get a sound that tells me i click, but nothing else).

Can't close it, can't get around it ...

Any hints on this issue?

Thank's for your help,

Tom

Replies

Yep the return key works. Weird bug and definitely should be fixed so that you can click either button (Cancel or Install).

Other question I have is why does Xcode want to install Rosetta 2??
Hi,

1. Close XCode (Force Quit if required)

2. Launch Xcode (Do not click or type absoltuely anything after launching)

3. On your keyboard - hit return

That did the trick for me. I had originally clicked all over the place, and I wasn't able to install Rosetta via the pop-up.

Best
Gus
The real question I'd like to get an answer for is "Why does Xcode, a universal app, require Rosetta in the first place?" One would think that Apple put in some effort to make sure their key environment for developers would work on their new ground breaking platform. Did they not expect developers to use any of the new macs?
  • to be fair, it is a year later. I just installed macOS 13 and received the prompt for rosetta which seemed out of place on m1 Mac—which eventually brought me to this thread. I found that by going to Get Info and checking then unchecking the box for rosetta, Xcode starts without installing rosetta. kind of weird that it defaults to opening with rosetta when Get Info seems to indicate that it wouldn't.

Add a Comment
Got my new Mac mini today and had the same Problem. Somewhere in the www I've read, that you can install rosetta from the command line entering:

"softwareupdate --install-rosetta"

Doing so before starting Xcode solved the problem for me.

I am still interested in the question: WHY does Xcode need Rosetta?

But more importantly: I don't want to install Rosetta!
How can I avoid installing Rosetta and run Xcode anyway?
Return worked.

Probably needs rosetta to compile/test code destined for other platforms. Thats why I got my M1 Mac Mini.

Time to get that idiots guide to mac for windows users who can write in visual bacic and C but not x code. So complete newbie to Mac but quick learner.
I guess some component can be used if developer wanna do sth compatible with x86 chips

For those that do not want to install Rosetta, this prompt can easily be disabled. Just use Get Info on Xcode.app, check "Open using Rosetta", and then uncheck it again.

Please ignore my previous comment with a "solution". It apparently didn't work they way it seemed to initially.

It seems that Xcode 14.1 doesn't ask to install Rosetta anymore.