Transferring an app that uses Sign In with Apple

I have published an app on the App Store using my personal account which I would now like to transfer to a new separate developer account (which I also own). The app does not use iCloud, push notifications, or any in-app purchases. It does, however, use Sign In with Apple for user authentication.

I have read the two Apple documents that pertain to transferring an app, but they go a little over my head, especially the user migration process.

What is the user experience if I do not migrate users and simply transfer the app without handling this? Assuming the app handles expired authentication correctly, will they simply be asked to sign in to the app again and all will be well? Or will the user ID be different, meaning that "signing back in" will actually create a new account?

In other words, is the user migration process only intended to minimize user inconvenience by maintaining logged-in sessions, or is it essential for user accounts to remain tied to their data?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of benpackard Down vote post of benpackard
1.6k views

Replies

Hi Ben,

You wrote:

What is the user experience if I do not migrate users and simply transfer the app without handling this? Assuming the app handles expired authentication correctly, will they simply be asked to sign in to the app again and all will be well? Or will the user ID be different, meaning that "signing back in" will actually create a new account?

If you do not migrate users within the 60-day transfer period, the newly transferred app will be associated with the new developer team account. Since the user identifier and private relay email address are team-scoped, Sign in with Apple will create a new account of the same user. Performing a user migration prevents this discontinuity, and allow for your clients to receive the migrated user ID without explicit user interaction as described in "Confirm the Transferred Credential State" of Bringing New Apps and Users into Your Team.

Then, you wrote:

In other words, is the user migration process only intended to minimize user inconvenience by maintaining logged-in sessions, or is it essential for user accounts to remain tied to their data?

Both. However, the exact answer depends on what data you have associated with the Sign in with Apple user identifier. If you'd like to explain more, please submit a Technical Support Incident via Requesting Technical Support.

Cheers,

Paris