IOS 14.4 Continued Bluetooth Issues

Hi all,
My phone has just been updated IOS 14.4. It seems there is no solution for Bluetooth problems.

My Iphone X with IOS 13 works well with the Bluetooth in my Toyota car. It can play music and receive phone call via Bluetooth. Since I got Iphone 12 Pro Max with IOS 14, more issue arises. Bluetooth just constantly disconnected when music is turned on. It is not able to receive phone call from Iphone via Bluetooth even though I did reset its setting as well as iphone settings. This issue is really annoying if somebody call when I am driving.

Does anyone get same frustrating matter?

I am so disappointed with Apple Services since IOS 14 was released . Please fix this as soon as possible.
  • I have Iphone 12 Pro, connecting to a bluetooth car, I can make and answer calls, but phone book and call list is not available.

• I have this same issue with my iPhone 12 mini. I never had any issues with my previous phone (Android). My partner also has no issues with their older model iPhone (running the same iOS version BTW).

The disconnection seems to happen when I switch apps I’m using to listen to audio (Music, Audible, YouTube, Spotify, etc.).

I drive a 2015 Mini Cooper and have been informed by the dealership that there are no updates for the audio system that haven’t already been installed.

Apple…. this sucks.

• Hi, I recently switched from Android to iPhone 12 Pro. My car is Skoda Octavia 2015. Since the very first time my iPhone was connected to the car audio, the sound is stuttering once in 15 - 20 seconds, turning my music experience from pleasant to annoying. How come that I have now almost the best phone in the world, and I have problems in a very basic functionality, where, by the way, Android never let me down. Please help

Accepted Reply

Bluetooth phone worked perfectly with my 2011 Volvo C70 with iPhone SE (2015), after I changed to iPhone 12 mini, bluetooth module in my car freezes and restarts after one phone call. Volvo has updated module to the newest software available but without luck. Checked with other iPhones 12, same story. Can you help in any way? iOS 14.4
  • Is this the accepted answer because Apple wants us to update the software in our cars whenever they perform major and minor version updates to iOS? I have a 2018 Nissan Leaf and Nissan hasn’t released an update for my vehicle, ever. I went to the dealer today, asked again if there are any updates and they assured me there were not. They then proposed ringing it in for service, possibly switching the OEM entertainment system out, to see if that fixes it. Neither options are appealing to me, since this problem only started on my iPhone XR after updating to iOS 14.7.

• I will mention that I can “forget the device” on my phone and car, repair and Bluetooth will work until I turn off the car. Usually within 3 cycles of driving the car (turning the car off and on), the Bluetooth connection will break and I can no longer connect the car and phone. I can listen to podcasts without the cars Bluetooth and speakers, but I no longer have hands free driving capability, as required in many municipalities. I consider the Bluetooth connection between my car and phone a safety feature, please fix!

• I have the same issues, iPhone 7 worked very well with no issues

Replies

I have the same Bluetooth issue with my iPhone 12 Pro and my Volvo xc60 2011my.
They can pair, sometimes I can even make one call and after that they loose each over- they show as connected but they stop interacting.
It worked excellent with my previous iPhone 6s and 7.
I contacted support 3 times and each time they say that it is my car issue, not theirs.
It is ridiculous! I bought one of the most expensive phones and I cannot drive safe!
absolutely unacceptable!
  • Same issue here! XC60 2010, iPhone 12 on iOS 14.6. - head unit freezes after one call, unable to make phone calls via bluetooth, I have to shut down the engine and start again. Sometimes it works for a while but after one call, it stops working. Very frustrating! Apple should really do something about it! I've also heard the issue could be related to exposure notifications (tried to disable it, will see) or the feature introduced with iOS 14.4 where we can choose what type of bluetooth device it is. I hope the fix is coming soon Apple! Because I just need it to work again!

• Exactly the same on my XC60 2009. After pairing to car I can make one call and thats it. Later trying to make the call from phone, it makes a call but no sound comes through car. Trying to initiate call from car menu, phone is not responding. Brough my iPhone 12 PRO MAX back to store for warranty, they did hard reset, nothing changed. Second time it is back now under warranty but they don't have the answer yet, claiming it is my car issue. Asked them to send me detailed report what is different on Iphone 12 PRO MAX from other iPhones as 6s, Xs, 11 PRO, SE works with no issues on the same car. Something is really messed up with Iphone 12 if after so many iOS different version releases they can not fix it.

• Same issue here

Hello All,

I have been working on this issue after IOS update on my old iPhone 7, as well as brand new 12 Pro for a few months. The issue is most definitely not hardware related as we have tested this in multiple vehicles with both devices. I am not an apple developer, but do work IT at a larger company. (User Access Management, Application Support)

Symptoms include: complete de-sync of headsets during music, sound, application sound play; frozen head-units after de-sync or automatic un-pairing. Crashed Applications. The issues persist while the phone is unlocked, locked, applications playing sound open or closed.

Troubleshooting has included the following on BOTH devices:

Reset Application(s)
Forget, re-pair
Turn Bluetooth off, re-pair
Network Reset
Factory Reset of iPhone 7

The vehicles include:
2021 Elantra with Apple Carplay
2020 F-250 with Apple Carplay
2020 Nautilus
2019 Rav 4 (Daily)
2017 F-250
2015 Tacoma (Daily)

Headsets/Paired devices include:
Blackweb HPhone A003
Bose Color Soundlink
Bose SLIII
Bose QC 35II Gaming Headset
TaoTronics TT-BH053
TaoTronics TT-BH07
TaoTronics TT-BH085
Stealth 700 (PS4)
TAOTRONICS Soundliberty 79
TAOTRONICS SoundSurge 77
Pathfinder 3
Uconnect
MIL-PRV21 (Lund Boat)

Summary for our testing has concluded that the iOS 14 updates have (once again) broken functionality with our hardware. The frustration with Apple updates has continued for years with our devices.

Unfortunately, we can not safely use our phones and drive, even with the connection functionalities of brand new/older phones. Reversion to a previous iOS version temporarily fixed the issue. Unfortunately, we will need to upgrade the phones to a newer version of iOS at some point. Because of this, we have liquidated our Apple Products and purchased Android-based phones.

Good Luck Everyone,
Ryan
Just adding my problem to the list. No problems at all with my iPhone 10 and my Volvo XC60 until upgrading to an iPhone 12 Pro two weeks ago. Same problem with streamed music “skipping”. First world problem, we know, but it still needs to be fixed Apple. We’re paying a lot of money for these phones and you’re the first to charge a fortune is we want something fixed that’s deemed to be our fault.
  • Same exact issue here, the skipping! Just got an IPhone 12 Pro, drive a 2016 Volvo XC60, and the skipping started immediately after my phone upgrade from an IPhone 8 that worked perfectly when I use the Bluetooth to connect (haven’t tried using USB). Thank god my calls aren’t dropping like some of the others, I have had some of my call recipients complain of an echo on their end though.

Add a Comment
Same problem here with iPhone 12 Pro and Peugeot 508. playing music works well but a phone call using car speakers is not possible. Is there any solution to get a basic feature out of a 1000 € cell phone? Any 150 € cell phone is able to handle a Bluetooth call with any car.

shame on Apple!

BR
chris
Same problem here with the BMW e60. Works perfectly with iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, iPhone 8 running iOS 13. iPhone 12 pro running iOS 14 and it keeps disconnecting when using Siri or after a phone call.
  • exactly same problem with my E60/2009. iPhone 12 pro / 14.5.1

a nightmare.

1000,- Euro for a cellphone which cannot connect stable with the hands-free phone system in the car.

APPLE please….

• same problem with e60. also can't receive a call...

Add a Comment

I have had Bluetooth problems with my beloved iPhone for years. I think I may have found the solution.

Go to Settings, then Bluetooth, then look at the info for the paired device, and you’ll see something I never saw before, an option to define the kind of device it is; i.e., headset, speaker, etc.

Once I did this my Bluetooth problems appear to have been solved.

BTW if my info is stale, my apologies.

I unfortunately have the exact same problem. I have a 2011 Volvo XC70, and my iPhone XS worked flawlessly with the handsfree integration in that car (Bluetooth).

But after I bought the iPhone 12 Pro (iOS 14.x) at the end of 2020, I have severe connection issues with the car. I find it very strange that there seems to be no updates from Apple on this matter, since it seems to affect a LOT of iOS 14.x users.

Running Version 14.6 and still no resolution. Constantly skips music on Bose head phones and Eskin receiver. Never had an issue before version 14. Apple needs to fix this - unless they are just trying to sell their headset as those seem to work fine with 14.6

I have this problem too.

When I updated to iOS 14.4 and more, my iPhone 11 has some bluetooth issues. Apple didn't fix that with any updates or something. I tried everything. Literally everything.

Interesting thing, there is no bug or something while connecting bluetooth. It appears mostly while playing music or video.

Apple, please solve this problem. It's really disturbing and sometimes I want to break my phone.

I have the same issue with Volvo XC60 and iPhone 12 on iOS 14.6. - car dashbord freezes (needs to shutdown the engine and start again), unable to make calls/accept calls really wanted to throw the iPhone out of the car's window!!

My solution: Switched back to my old iPhone XS Max also on iOS 14.6 and the problem is gone.

It's sad that I had to give up my new iPhone 12 and go back to the XS Max. I hope it's software related only issue, but starts to seems like a HW issue with the newer iPhones!

Problem fixed in ios15

• Just updated to IOS 15 and problems still exists

Add a Comment

This has GOT to be a joke! A £1,200 iPhone 12 Pro Max with so much Bluetooth bugs it’s unreal! Music playback on my Mercedes S Class keeps dropping every few seconds, AirPods struggles to connect, most times it’s a lottery when it connects. All round car connectivity problems, too much to list. This is so FRUSTRATING APPLE! I feel robbed. Am done, back to Android once my contract runs out. Apple no longer cares about its customers clearly.

Have the same issue with my bmw e60 just after switching from XR to 12 pro max. iPhone connected to car audio, contact list available, all looking fine. BUT! I can't receive a call, pressing to receive button - nothing. Try make a call - after 5-10 second connection lost. With Xr everything is fine....

I have similar issues with my new highlander. iPhone 12 connects using Bluetooth but when I play music, it drops after a few seconds for any reason. Such as hitting a bump or a message arriving on the phone. It didn’t have an issue the other day with a call. The song shows as playing on both device and head unit. I mess with it, press play and pause repeatedly and sometimes it will start playing again. Or start over with a new list. Or just switch to the radio 🙄 or Sirius free trial.

Check which version of Bluetooth the device has. It seems Apple has restricted the new phones from connecting to older versions of Bluetooth. I have a Bluetooth speaker bathroom fan which has Bluetooth 4.0. I had no issue connecting to it with my iPhone XS Max. But my iPhone 12 Pro Max will not connect. Not a huge deal as I still have my old phone and I can use that. Just a little inconvenient. Hope this helps.