Developer APIs for AirTag integration in our apps and games?

I'm very excited about the new AirTag product and am wondering if there will be any new APIs introduced in iOS 14.5+ to allow developers to build apps around them outside the context of the Find My network?

The contexts in which I am most excited about using AirTags are:
  • Gaming

• Health / Fitness-focused apps

• Accessibility features

• Musical and other creative interactions within apps

I haven't been able to find any mention of APIs. Thanks in advance for any information that is shared here.

Alexander
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of alexander Down vote post of alexander
26k views
  • Just following the subject. I'm interested in such API as well.

• Hopefully the Nearby Interaction Framework will support Air-tags soon. 

• Following.....lots of possibilities here if access to API with geo location info (keeping in mind privacy laws).

Replies

Has anyone tried pulling data from Find My on a Mac ?

Following. NEED this

Needed and hence following the thread

following. Much needed feature

Privacy and iPiggyback Network are the two shortcomings. I suspect itag apps will be registered and reviewed and maybe geofenced. Apple will also cut a deal with wireless carriers or somehow benefit user for being part of their mesh network and not paying for our cell plans.

Also interested in this API

Following

Looking for the API too.

Please give us this API ;(

Following. Would love to play around with any API for the tags

With iOS15 Apple has enabled "Nearby Interactions API" to range and obtain inch-level distance and orientation (similar to AirTags) between Apple U1-enabled devices and third-party UWB-enabled devices compatible with FiRa and U1.

On this website https://developer.apple.com/nearby-interaction/ Apple has published in the FAQ section a list of UWB chip manufacturers that are interoperable with U1 chip.

On the market there are already UWB devices (e.g. beacons, tags) integrated with these recommended UWB chipsets.

Try to google "UWB beacons" and get one of these Dev Kits. They typically comes with SDK full of code samples and demo apps. It will take minutes to integrate it with your mobile app that can finally be spatially aware.

• Yeah, that's cool and all, but it still doesn't allow to access the location of the tracker without an iOS device.

• I guess most of us want the API because already own a AirTag

Add a Comment

Need this also

Also interested in this. I was also looking at the UWB beacons suggested by @estimote a few months ago, but I can't believe the real AirTag does not have APIs yet?

This is a fairly old thread so not sure if any new info but I did manage to create a nice app for what you are suggesting. Message me for a demo if you like. Rob

• That would be so amazing! I found no message options in this forum, so could you please elaborate in bullet points what you did?

• As I found no message option or way to put my mail in a comment, could you elaborate here shortly how you did it?

• Please elaborate on how you did it

I have a good use case for this. If Rob, or someone else, has made some progress, I would like to chat.