Request failed with Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=28 "No space left on device"

Lately numerous network requests made from our iOS device fail with the following error:

Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=28 "No space left on device" UserInfo={_NSURLErrorFailingURLSessionTaskErrorKey=LocalDataTask <CF70E0F0-40BB-4796-B15B-3B4CCB483EE1>.<3>, _kCFStreamErrorDomainKey=1, _NSURLErrorRelatedURLSessionTaskErrorKey=( "LocalDataTask <CF70E0F0-40BB-4796-B15B-3B4CCB483EE1>.<3>" ), _kCFStreamErrorCodeKey=28}

The message implies the error has to do with available disk/memory space on the device. However, after checking both there is no link to be found since there is plenty of space available. Also, the error occurs on multiple devices, all running iOS 14.4 or higher.

Is there information available regarding error code 28 and what could be the culprit on iOS devices? Even better; how can this error be prevented?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Julian
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of TechnoThresh Down vote post of TechnoThresh
11k views
  • Hello, have you solved this problem?

• I am getting the same issue with Safari on a basically empty device. I only use cloud storage so I know for sure it is something to do with the new updates

I really hope this gets fixed soon because I am now going to be using Edge until this is fixed.

Add a Comment

Replies

what could be the culprit on iOS devices? Even better; how can this error be prevented?

I would first check all of the usual places. For example:
  1. Make sure that you app is only using 1 URLSession object for running network requests.

2. Make sure that if you are using urlCache on URLSessionConfiguration that you are managing this cache properly.

If you are unable to make progress in both of the previous items I would advise creating a reproducible sample with URLSession, recreating the issue, and triggering a sysdiagnose. - (Note that you need to login to your Developer Account to see those instructions)

The logarchive file in the sysdiagnose may give you some clues as to what is happening here. If you cannot make progress with the sysdiagnose, open a bug report and add the Feedback ID here.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com

I am getting this error even with the desktop version of safari. Closing and re-opening safari is a workaround:

apple privacy relay safari can't open the page. The error is: "The operation couldn't' be completed. No space left on device" (NSPOSIXErrorDomain:28)

• I have the exact same problem. I have deleted ALL THE COOKIES. something I did not want to do, in case that had something to do with it. have plenty of physical and memory space. They really need to fix this, it comes at terrible times and only fix is to close SAFARI. It only happens on desktop browser for me.

NSPOSIXErrorDomain:28

Add a Comment

I have the same problem since I installed MacOS 12.1. When it happens, I am not able to open anything anymore. I guess, this is a major bug as it happens everywhere for a lot of people. And NO: no problems with the network. And NO: no additional extensions for anything.

this is very annoying.

Private Relay was deactivated, by now. No changes.

Having same problem many times a day... Safari is almost unusable at this point... Constant POSIX errors and page load fails...

Please Fix. I hate using Chrome.

Safari is almost unusable at this point... Constant POSIX errors and page load fails...

This thread started out as an issue being experience by a specific developer within their app. If you’re seeing it in Safari, and presuming that your device is configured like a normal user device, then that’s a clearly a problem with the OS itself. In that case I encourage you to file a bug about this. Make sure to attach a sysdiagnose log, which is critical for debugging such problems.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• I have the same issue. Desktop Mac, Monterey 12.1, M1 chip. I can open Safari, but when I click on a link within it, I get this message in the new window that opens. Safari, and therefore this computer, is almost unusable at this point. Something needs to be done! I don't know how to attach a sysdiagnose log, but I am about to send this computer back!!!

Add a Comment

I tried unchecking "Hide IP address from trackers" in Safari Preferences on macOS 12.1 and haven't had the issue since.

Original credit: xesvul on https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/qna5js/safari_issue_in_monterey/

Cheers.