com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 0 on external drive

com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 0 on external drive

anyone know how to get to the hard drive?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of cycleduck Down vote post of cycleduck
73k views
  • My external ssd (Apple 251GB, APFS formatted) doesn't show up on the desktop. It is visible in Disk Utility but I can't repair, erase or split it. Does anyone have advise for this issue?

• Hi, I fixed this issue.

Some older MACs wont mount if the allocation size is larger than 1024. So to resolve this, go to a Windows or Linux machine (if you have one) and reformat the **** in ExFAT and select 1024 as the allocation size. Worked for me, hope this helps :)

• I tried the above with no luck. Terminal is asking for a password but it's not giving the area to input the password, it just shows a lock/key icon.

Replies

First, thanks for this fix - I've been having issues with my ExFAT-formatted 5tb external drive on Catalina and this has been super helpful!

This time, though, even after running First Aid in Disk Utility, the drive is still registering as Read-Only, which I'm not sure how to fix! Anyone have any suggestions or have experience with this? The drive does have about 1.5 TB of data on it, and it hasn't completely backed up to my cloud storage yet, so ideally not anything that requires reformatting (fingers crossed)

The quickest way to sort out problematic exfat drives I've found is to mount them in a windows environment (either in a virtual machine or on actual windows computer) and repair them from there. Disk first aid takes a loooong time on larger drives.

• For my case on macOS Sonona, with a USB-C external storage formatted in ExFAT, this way solved my problem. On a Windows laptop, I did first aid things, and I can access my external disk drive again on macOS Sonoma.

Add a Comment

Thankyou @jkrosado and @calif94577. It worked out but without hitting the enter button, magic! Also the exfat formatted LA CIE 5GB drive worked on BigSur before then after upgrading to Monterrey it didn't show up.

I tried that command on the Terminal, the 'First Aid' option on Disk Utility said everything was OK and then same Could not mount drive error, I restarted , tried it few times, same error. Dont ask me why but what worked was Logging Out my Mac user and logging again with the same user, super weird. There's defo some bug on Monterey and the external drives / Time Capsule Mac application...

• Incredible... this worked for me too.

• Omg, this worked for me too! hahah

Add a Comment

Hi everyone! I have followed the steps and Disk Utility is running first AID. I have got a SEAGATE 2TB ExFat formatted...but first AID is running "Checking file system hierarchy." and it has done so for 24 hours...is that normal for a 2TB? I am tempted to quit it....

"Restoring the original state found as unmounted" is the last line I get after running a successful First Aid in Disk Utility after doing the Mount / sudo pkill -f fsc combination. I feel like I'm in an endless loop. Trying to remount a 9TB Raid5 OWD FireWire External Physical Volume • Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on my 27" iMac (2019) after it was mistakenly shut down w/o ejecting. Have gotten errors 0, 49153 and 49244 after various attempts. I haven't lost hope due to the successful First Aid reports but getting tired of seeing the drive put back unmounted after every attempt. This is a critical drive for my biz.Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi there, My external HDD (LaCie Rugged 4 TB, MacOS Extended (Journaled) formatted) doesn't show up on the desktop. It is visible in Disk Utility but I can't repair it. The system returns «com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49244.».

Multiline

Running First Aid on “DISKNAME_1” (disk6s2)

Checking file system and repairing if necessary and if possible. Volume is already unmounted. Performing fsck_hfs -fy -x /dev/rdisk6s2 Executing fsck_hfs (version hfs-583.100.10). Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume. Invalid B-tree node size The volume could not be verified completely. File system check exit code is 8. Restoring the original state found as unmounted. File system verify or repair failed. : (-69845)

Operation failed…

BlockQuote

I ran «sudo pkill -f fsck» with no recognizable effect yet. Is there anything to add ahead of this prompt in order to address the non-visible Drive ? Does anyone have any hints how to fix this issue ?

@calif94577 : «sudo pkill -f fsc» or «sudo pkill -f fsck» ? (I entered the k-version and didn’t get the «2 error pop ups». Am I missing anything ? Thanks to all contributors and to you @jkrosado as well

I’m on MacOS Monterey 12.5.

• Sorry for the late response. sudo pkill -f fsck not fsc sorry.

Add a Comment

Worked perfectly for me @jkrosado Thanks!!!

thanks so much @jkrosado for saving my wedding photos, i am so appreciative

I’ve pressed mount then in terminal typed in sudo pkill-f fsck. once I press enter I get underneath password: with a key in a box. Still won’t mount the usb 😩 Any help would be appreciated

• Same for me. Once I press enter, I get request for password in terminal. I enter my password, and it repeats. After 3 tries it gives error. Thanks for any help.

Add a Comment

Thank you so much @jkrosado, you saved 4TB of photos and a lot of head aches :)

I had the same issue and eventualy after a couple of "repair" tries, the disk mounted.

Thank you very much for everyone here, fortunately I didn't need to try some other solution.

BUT I WAS WONDERING, should I be worried for the future of this drive? Could this be an indication of imminent permanent failure?

Thank you very much!!!

none of those work for me.....I got that WD drive - 1TB..

To remedy the issue I simply hit 'repair disc' about four times it still wouldn't amount, so I ejected the unmounted disk and it showed a mounted icon before it finally ejected. I power cycled the machine and it was mounted.

Non of these worked for me :-/ Was hoping  calif94577 way would work, but no...