MAC address spoofing not working in macOS 12 Monterey

sudo ifconfig en0 ether [MAC address]

Now results in

ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Can't assign requested address

• I have also noticed that with Big Sur.... It does not work even after disabling system protection (csruilt) I guess apple is removing that feature from Mac OS.

ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Can't assign requested address

Add a Comment

Replies

Same here, I am on macOS 12 Monterey Beta 5 build 21A5304g.

macOS 12 Monterey public Beta 10, still same issue ;(

This works in Monterey final release.

brew install macchanger

And then (with your network disconnected):

macchanger -m xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx en0

Replacing the xx with your required MAC address and en0 with the appropriate network device.

• Not work for me

• It works for me only for en0, but when I try on en7, it doesn't work. ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Can't assign requested address

Add a Comment

It's ridiculous. I'm a network engineer and mac spoofing it's one of the basics things at my work. How am I supposed to work now?

• This message board is for Developers/Engineers, not complainers.

Add a Comment

You can't change the lladdr (ether/macaddr) while the interface is associated with an SSID.

First, disassociate from any network:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -z

Then change your lladdr:

sudo ifconfig <intf> lladdr 00:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff 

Then rejoin the WLAN normally.

• Thanks its working

• good job 👍

• After struggling with the ether command, lladdr worked, thank you!

Thanks Squeeby! It worked perfectly.

2021 MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.3.1.

• Please what password do y’all keep input? I can’t seem to type anything after it requests for password

Add a Comment

Hi Squeeby,

Still not working...

I first command: sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -z

Add password, and then:

sudo ifconfig lladdr XXXXXXXX ( X = MAC address) ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Invalid argument

sudo ifconfig en0 ether XXXXXXXX ( X = MAC address) ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Invalid argument

sudo ifconfig en0 ether/macaddr XXXXXXXX ( X = MAC address) ifconfig: ether/macaddr: bad value

Can you help change MAC address on macOS Monterey?

• you should key the cmd as sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr e0:eb:ee:ea:6c:93, intf is en0, en1 ......

Add a Comment

Hi Squeeby,

I first disconnected from the network.

Then I ran: sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -z

After this I added password and ran: sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

I restarted my computer and then rejoined the network.

The MAC address did not change from what it was previously.

Can you help me change my MAC address?

• Do not restart the computer, or the mac addr will reset back

Add a Comment

Hi please help

after command sudo /System/Library … after click on password sudo ifconfig en0 lladdrr (MAC address) and it shows invalid argument