MAC address spoofing not working in macOS 12 Monterey

sudo ifconfig en0 ether [MAC address]

Now results in

ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Can't assign requested address

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Dynjo Down vote post of Dynjo
19k views
  • I have also noticed that with Big Sur.... It does not work even after disabling system protection (csruilt) I guess apple is removing that feature from Mac OS.

ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Can't assign requested address

Add a Comment

Replies

Just wanted to add to this chaos. I can also confirm mac address changing of ethernet adapters does not work on OSX Ventura as newts pointed out. I even ordered the Apple Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Ethernet adapter thinking it would work but it does not. The newer M1 Macbooks do not have the older thunderbolt ports. Does anybody have a list of USB-C to Ethernet adapters that is known to work like newts mentioned?

• What continues to work for me in macOS Ventura 13.5 (but also including Sonoma Dev. Beta 1 last time I tried) is this:

Apple TB3 (USB C) <-> TB1/2 adapter + Apple TB1/2 <-> GbE adapter

It's pretty expensive if you don't have either, but it does seem to work quite well. It uses the same chipset as in the older Thunderbolt (non-USB-C) display, which also seems to work. (You may even be able to find some used hardware)

I started a new thread but it hasn't been approved yet - I'll link it soon.

Add a Comment

Hi guys,

after trying to solve this on Ventura 13.4.1. I came to conclusion that macOS won't accept any mac address - you need to be careful to generate a mac address with apple vendor prefix. You can use this tool to generate a new mac address https://dnschecker.org/mac-address-generator.php and for apple mac address prefixes you can use this link http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/?string=apple to find them out or just google for them.

You would first need to run this to disassociate from all networks

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -z

and then run the following command

sudo ifconfig en0 ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (generated mac from dnschecker tool)

I hope this helps! I can finally use my hotel's wifi again! Yaay!

Cheers

• Hey guys! I've been looking through all these comments and I've tried a few things but no avail. The most recent one I've tried is the tutorial posted by @gugugaga, but this is what I got in return

"en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 options=400<CHANNEL_IO> ether 3c:22:fb:08:7c:25 nat64 prefix 2607:7700:0:28:0:1:: prefixlen 96 zsh: command not found: 1C-EC-3B-ED-35-03"

Does anyone know what I did wrong and what I can do to fix it? I'm running 13.5.1,

Add a Comment

Why do you need to change the MAC address? If it's to test routes, below probably won't work.

On the other hand, there are situations where it does work, as I verified on Sonoma.

Change the MAC address in a virtual machine. It might get you what you need.