Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Since the last update (21A5534d), my MacBook doesn't detect my 2nd display. I've tried swapping the display with a new one and trying different connection methods. My MacBook's built-in display goes black for a moment when I attach the cable, but nothing else happens.

I seem to remember that the System Preferences > Displays used to have an option for manually detecting a display, but it doesn't appear to be there any more.

I hope I'm not the only person experiencing this.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of shark72 Down vote post of shark72
99k views
  • I have the exact same issue. I am a photographer and my livelihood depends on my editing which I do on the external monitor. Now suddenly after the update I can no longer use my external monitor. This makes me switch to windows right away. This is purely a case of cheating.

• I have the same exact issue too. The button for manually detecting an external display in the display settings window doesn’t appear when I hold down the option key. I tried connecting the same HDMI cable and monitor to another MacBook Pro with Monterey and the second display worked. I also tried putting my iMac to sleep and waking it up. I also disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable while my iMac was powered up. I also reset the NVRAM and PRAM on my iMac, but still no good. I tried entering safe mode on my iMac, still no good. None of the methods suggested on YouTube or online seem to work. Finally, I downgraded to OS X Mavericks and the second monitor did work on my iMac. This proves that it’s not a hardware issue with my iMac and must be a driver issue. Monterey is trash!

• Same issues here. After a couple of weeks with Monterey, my 2nd monitor will not work. Everything else on the hub works. Every other port has been tried and the monitor connected directly. Nothing works. And, holding down OPTION to toggle the "detect external monitors" button is also not available since Monterey.

Replies

Same problem here with LG monitors, connectet via USB-C and MacOS 13.4 (22F66)

Is this seriously still an issue?? Is the only way to downgrade from Monterey??

macOS Ventura 13.5.1, Mac Studio M1 Max

Waking from sleep or restarting never detects 2nd monitor, Samsung 27" connected via USB-C. Works as soon as I unplug and reconnect connection cable.

Such a hassle and makes no sense. Have tried all fixes I can find on the forums. Stll broke, Tim. Still broke.

I know this post is over 2 years old, but I found it while searching for a similar problem. The monitor showed in display settings but the screen was black. Toggled around with the different settings and when I changed the refresh rate from 155 Herts to 120 Hertz the monitor worked.

Hope this helps someone :)

As of the Feb 6th, trying to connect 2nd monitor over USB C, it still an issue even with a Macbook Pro M2 Pro running on Sonoma 14.3 (23D56). Apple, this is a big issue, please fix it!!!!

I can't believe the problem can't be solved. This is ridiculous. Apple is a regret.

So I just got another monitor to setup next to my first so I can have a faster process for my editing. I have been recking by brain as an IT nerd of 30 plus years, as to why I could not get this monitor to work on my MacBook Air! Now I see it is not just me! I hope this is resolved soon, I do not want to go back to my Lenvo!