Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Since the last update (21A5534d), my MacBook doesn't detect my 2nd display. I've tried swapping the display with a new one and trying different connection methods. My MacBook's built-in display goes black for a moment when I attach the cable, but nothing else happens.

I seem to remember that the System Preferences > Displays used to have an option for manually detecting a display, but it doesn't appear to be there any more.

I hope I'm not the only person experiencing this.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of shark72 Down vote post of shark72
99k views
  • I have the exact same issue. I am a photographer and my livelihood depends on my editing which I do on the external monitor. Now suddenly after the update I can no longer use my external monitor. This makes me switch to windows right away. This is purely a case of cheating.

• I have the same exact issue too. The button for manually detecting an external display in the display settings window doesn’t appear when I hold down the option key. I tried connecting the same HDMI cable and monitor to another MacBook Pro with Monterey and the second display worked. I also tried putting my iMac to sleep and waking it up. I also disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable while my iMac was powered up. I also reset the NVRAM and PRAM on my iMac, but still no good. I tried entering safe mode on my iMac, still no good. None of the methods suggested on YouTube or online seem to work. Finally, I downgraded to OS X Mavericks and the second monitor did work on my iMac. This proves that it’s not a hardware issue with my iMac and must be a driver issue. Monterey is trash!

• Same issues here. After a couple of weeks with Monterey, my 2nd monitor will not work. Everything else on the hub works. Every other port has been tried and the monitor connected directly. Nothing works. And, holding down OPTION to toggle the "detect external monitors" button is also not available since Monterey.

Replies

Solved for me... I tried several of the methods below. I'm running two LG 5k displays from my iMac and for months only one would work. I tried upgraded to thunderbolt 4 chords and they came on after restart. I read in another forum that this worked for them and it worked for me. Some sort of software update I guess.

the cables I ordered ... hope this helps

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KTB326W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It has been more than a year since the first post. This issue has been inherited from Monterey to Ventura, yet absolutely no reaction from @apple. I am so flabbergasted by the snobbishness of the apple in general. I'm sure they know how much we've invested.

Setup: two Dell P2412H monitors and Dell D6000 docking station.

I've experienced this issue intermittently, on MacOS Monterrey and Ventura, but also when using the same gear on a Windows laptop.

I tried disconnecting and reconnecting power cables and USB-C connectors in different orders with no luck.

What worked to my surprise was starting the Display Link Manager application (https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/macos). That's it. Only starting this app brought my 2nd monitor back to life.

• You are a hero boss. Fixed my issue, was annoying me for months.

Add a Comment

I'm also having this problem. My setup is Mac Studio 2022, OSX 12.6.2, 2x LG 4k displays connected via USB-C. Tried different cables, monitor settings, display settings and no luck. Do a reboot or a shut down, power on, my second screen doesn't power up, stays asleep. When the computer powers back up, to get second screen back, I unplug it from power, and plug back in and it works again. VERY frustrating, as doing a reboot remotely means I can't get my second monitor up and running. Will try the above software.

• 🎉. Thanks, this worked for me. After installing 13.3.1 I've tried unplugging my Displayport-USB C cable, powering on/off monitor, and nothing worked. Unplugging power cable worked on first attempt.

Add a Comment

This situation is absolutely outrageous! The ability to connect an external monitor to a computer is core functionality; if a computer can't connect to an external monitor, it is a faulty product. Apple have therefore rendered thousands of Macs faulty by way of their buggy software. Tens of thousands of Mac users – designers, video editors, gamers etc. – are now unable to do their work properly because Apple have broken their Macs.

As Apple, in their breathtaking arrogance and disregard for their consumers, have utterly ignored this issue for well over a year, this should now be escalated to a class action lawsuit. I wonder how many users affected by this issue would agree?

I can only get my two new LG displays to show up as one. There is no "Extend Display" option, it automatically mirrors. Any ideas? OS Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400) 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

My solution for the problem:

• Connect a USB-C hub w/HDMI port, connect to a monitor, make sure it's up and displaying
  • Connect the 2nd USB-C to HDMI to the 3rd monitor, you will see all three displays
  • Disconnect the 2nd monitor
  • Now you have the 3rd monitor working
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of gcl Down vote reply of gcl
  • @gcl you're a life saver. I had this issue for over 6 months. I am using ThinkPad 4 dock and just settled for using my MacBook Pro M1 max in mirror mode on my monitors the extender wasn't working well. I have MOKIN type-C hub which I use for connecting USBs to my MacBook. After reading your post today, my screen is now working as extender not mirroring anymore. I wish I have seen this post earlier because I have already paid for a new DisplayLink Plugable USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Docking station

Add a Comment

I had a 2017 (might a little older) MacBook pro used for work, bought a 3rd party adapter to have 2 monitors up and my MacBook closed and plugged into its charger. got a new MacBook pro 2020, tried to use the same adapter to extend the display but it would only recognize one of the monitors. i bought another adapter but that one would only mirror the display. technically close enough for what I wanted to do with it but not quite what I was going for. i wanted to extend the displays not mirror it. worst of all I cant even use a HDMI dock to charge and extend the display and use a usb-c to hdmi. old way was better for multiple displays. i would think having the pro model would of made this easier.

Me too. This is frustrating. I cannot do anything to get this computer to detect displays. The button should be there BEFORE displays are detected. What a weird glitch. I restarted everything in different orders. I use Display Link manager and restarted this program (this usually works but not always). Today.... nothing.

I have the same issue here, MacOS Monterey, 12.6.4 - as a pro user this is a total nightmare ! Help !

In my case with a LG 27UL850-W display, only the un- and replugging of the POWER CORD on the back of the display itself could solve the issue. Software power on / off button of the display did NOT help solving the issue.

Strange behaviour.

Similar situation here. I can only work with the internal MacBook Pro M1 display and one of the external monitors. Any of them. I can switch between them by switching them of or removing the cables, but only one comes up at a time.

Same issue here: mac book pro 2019 - now is Ventura 13.3.1 (22E261), few weeks ago shutdown and reser SMC helped - still was pain in the *** to do it everyday.. but now even this trick did not help - cannot see external LG monitor. Before Monterey was working like charm!

Same problem. I'm running Mojave on a Mac Pro 6,1 and I wanted to give Monterey a try. I have two Apple Thunderbolt displays and a Dell monitor running it via HDMI. All three work fine, but when Monterey is installed, one of the Thunderbolt displays will not work, even though it shows up and is marked 'active' when I check the Systems Report. Anyone have any work arounds?

GUYS we cannot use one dongle to connect two monitors; since the upgrade, I suppose. I just used two different dongles because my Macbook only has the usb-c connectors. It worked! Both monitors were detected.

Here is where I found the solution: https://setapp.com/how-to/troubleshoot-multiple-monitors "Don’t chain connections together. Some monitors with older connections require adapters for use with Macs, sometimes more than one. Chaining adapters together can cause your monitor to not be recognized."