Xcode 13: Active breakpoint turns to an outline when app is run.

I'm working on several apps that were developed on Xcode 12.5. Using Xcode 13.1, I set a breakpoint, which correctly appears as the blue marker in the left-hand column of the editor. When I run the apps (in a simulator), the breakpoint turns to an outline of a breakpoint marker, with a dotted blue outline and a white interior. The apps do not stop at the breakpoint.

Breakpoints work as expected on an app started in Xcode 13.1.

I've dug through the docs but find nothing that describes what the outline breakpoint means or how to make it work. I've done all the standard stuff: cleaned the build folder, deleted derived data.

What does the outline breakpoint marker mean, and how do I get breakpoints working in Xcode 13.1 when debugging code developed originally on Xcode 12.5?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

• A clarifying note (I hope); when I wrote "Breakpoints work as expected on an app started in Xcode 13.1." I meant apps that I started development on Xcode 13.1. Breakpoint work normally in this case; it's only debugging apps written on earlier versions of Xcode that give me this problem.

• I'm working on several projects which were created with Xcode 12.x (or older), but have never experienced the behavior as you described. Can you share the screen shots?

• Changed my comment to an answer

Accepted Reply

I just saw this happening too, then I realized that the code wasn't being called. Meaning once the app compiled and the compiler realized it was not possible for the breakpoint to ever hit it would turn to the dotted outline. At least that was the case for me.

• I think your answer is correct but, honestly, I'm not sure. I set a breakpoint at another line that I know is executed and got the proper behavior. However, I also got the proper behavior on the breakpoint that is shown in my example - it did not turn into an outline breakpoint and the app stopped there. I'm going to mark your response as the answer, and I thank you for pointing out what you'd encountered. I appreciate your help!

• Alas this didn't fix it for me.

In my case the breakpoint worked fine in November 2021, but has now stopped working in February 2022. No change to the code, or to the project.

Add a Comment

Replies

I think I can add screenshots only by answering (I'm no expert at these forums), so here goes: Screenshot of the code before starting the app in a simulator:

Once the app is running in the simulator:

• Thanks for showing the screen shots. You can include images both for questions and answers, but the editing feature of this site is very limited and you many need to use Your Answer to post an additional info including images. Anyway, I have never seen the second shot of yours. I will post something here when I find possibly useful info.

• Thanks for taking an interest in this; it's got me baffled, for sure.

Add a Comment

I just saw this happening too, then I realized that the code wasn't being called. Meaning once the app compiled and the compiler realized it was not possible for the breakpoint to ever hit it would turn to the dotted outline. At least that was the case for me.

• I think your answer is correct but, honestly, I'm not sure. I set a breakpoint at another line that I know is executed and got the proper behavior. However, I also got the proper behavior on the breakpoint that is shown in my example - it did not turn into an outline breakpoint and the app stopped there. I'm going to mark your response as the answer, and I thank you for pointing out what you'd encountered. I appreciate your help!

• Alas this didn't fix it for me.

In my case the breakpoint worked fine in November 2021, but has now stopped working in February 2022. No change to the code, or to the project.

Add a Comment

I'm also having a same issue. I have not found any solution to this issue for a month. Please let me know if there are any updates.

• You should clone your project to "another" path and try "clean-build" again. This resolved the problem for me.

Weird but work.

• change "another" path works! thanks @Akring

Add a Comment

In my case cleaning the build folder and erasing derived data fixed the problem

What is the solution Apple.. It is killing me

I'm the original poster on this question. I wish I could give you an answer, but I cannot. The situation I originally described corrected itself; I can't tell you what was wrong or what fixed it. I have seen the same behavior a couple times since, but again, it seemed to resolve itself. Apple tech support was of no help. I wish you luck in finding a solution and please post it if you find one.

Make sure your source file compile into your running target. And symbol name is correct.

Check target -> build Phases -> Compile Sources ...

I’m having the same problem in a C program. I just tried compiling for testing iso running and am now able to run my program with functioning breakpoints. I’m not technically sophisticated enough to understand the implications or how to use this information to resolve the issue when compiling for running though. FWIW.

I encountered the same problem, but luckily was able to hit a different breakpoint at a later point in the same flow. I moused over the outlined breakpoint and saw the following tool tip:

Xcode won't pause at this breakpoint because it has not been resolved.

Resolving it requires that:

• The line at the breakpoint is compiled.
  • The compiler generates debug information that is not stripped out (check the Build Settings).
  • The library for the breakpoint is loaded.

I was stuck with this issue for a year - I had scoured the forums and the rest of the internet for any clues and just recently finally was able to get past this issue. The solution for me was to simply reclone my repository in a new directory. Once I created a new local repo at a different path the debugger magically worked again! I hope this helps someone in the future!

Rebooting the machine fixed the problem for my case

I had the same issue with a breakpoint that wouldn't fire in viewDidAppear, even after calling super viewDidAppear. Xcode 15 15A240d

Cleaning the build, and rebuilding from scratch fixed it for me. I didn't have to delete derived data from settings.

• Fixed this issue by doing below things
    1. I have changed the simulator
    2. I have closed the file where the breakpoints are not working and did the search for the file and opened the file and then applied the breakpoints and worked for me

Strange thing i have observed is when i have searched and open the same file opened twice. Thats means its kind of cahhse issue

Xcode 15 and still happening @eskimo

• Xcode 15, is still happening, it is frustrating. What is the solution?

Add a Comment