Tap to click many times not working in Monterey...

Since I upgraded my MBP 2020 M1 to Monterey, the 'Tap to click' is almost unusable. This issue is still not resolved in the 12.1 beta 3.

Its almost impossible to do my work on my MBP... Please revert any Trackpad changes ! The very good 'Tap to click' was one of the reasons to buy a MBP.

See also: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/qfzhrv/tap_to_click_sometimes_not_working_in_monterey/

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Rocrail Down vote post of Rocrail
10k views
  • I have the same problem. I just returned my brand new MacbookPro today.

I am worried that as of 2022/04/17, seventeen hundred people are experiencing the same issue and there is no official reply from Apple. In one of the posts from other people, one customer went to the Apple Store and was able to reproduce the issue in every laptop. In another post, a customer ordered a replacement unit and the new laptop had the same defect. This is a YouTube video that demonstrates the problem: https://youtu.be/l4daQQeuzNw

To me, it feels unfair to pay for a laptop where the Track-Pad is not working as intended.

There are similar reports dating back to 2020, and there is still no answer from Apple:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253382140https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252211114

I wonder whether Apple is able to fix the problem.

Add a Comment

Replies

Sure, i very tired with tap to click on trackpad problem since i bought pro M1 on june 2021. First problem is: command + tap, or shift + tap, tap missed 3 times, it's mean you need action with command + tap, you need press command + tap tap tap (3times tap) Spent 4 months with all the ways, i found and fixed the issue by hold down caps lock key by a stic, see image attached.

The second one issues when i upgrade to Monterey: sometimes, tap to click is not working effectly. I try to use beta version, the missed tap is same as on version 12.0.1, 12.1 beta 1, beta 2, it increase on 12.1 beta 3, it's make me felt so bad, angry and finally must back to Big Sure 11.6.1

Same behavior here. Even with 12.1 Beta (21C5045a) it is not fixed. I've noticed it in Lightroom Classic the first time and when you use finder to mark several files (tap on one file, press shift key, tap on 2nd file) it requires 3 taps to get the 2nd file (and files in between) marked.

Using MacBook Pro 14".

I discovered a solution to CMD + tap (and SHIFT + tap) being missed:

On the built-in trackpad, there's a central rectangle area a bit smaller than the size of the smaller trackpads older macbooks had before they started putting these massive ones in. The 3-taps required to get CMD + tap to register can be avoided by clicking in this central region instead of more toward the edges. Also note that the first tap must be in this central region. If you first click more toward the outside and it misses it, the trackpad will also reject a followup central tap.

Before that, CMD + tap routinely took 3 taps to multi-select files in Finder. And of course, if I forget and do CMD + tap more toward the edges, 3 it is again. So this required a bit of retraining for me to use the smaller central rectangle region for tap to click, but it's comfortable now.

Now I only use the larger area outside that smaller central rectangle area for continuing long drags. Some might say this is more of a workaround than a solution, but it saved my sanity.

It's almost as if the driver that rejects trackpad input while a key is pressed is working off the dimensions of the older model macbooks' trackpad dimensions.

All this is on:

• 2019 16" MacBook Pro
  • built-in trackpad
  • Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey 12.1

Peter

• This is a workaround for me. Thanks.

Add a Comment

Not sure this is definitely the same issue but I found this thread while looking for any insight into why my trackpad might be having problems... thought about it, and said problems did start right after the 12.1 update... so, for whatever it's worth:

I'm using a mid-2015 MacBook Pro 15", so quite a bit older than the other models mentioned in this thread (that said, it has no other issues). The problem seems to mainly afflict the center region of the built-in trackpad, though it's not always super consistent (as far as I've discerned, anyway). Tap to click simply will not work in the center, no matter how many times I try it. If I use the perimeter of the trackpad exclusively, it seems fine. Mixed results with two-finger-tap secondary clicks. Motions that cross larger portions of the trackpad seem to be hit or miss; frequently, single-finger movement started at the perimeter may continue into the center smoothly but in other instances it sort of skips a bit in the middle and picks up at the perimeter again.

I've checked everything available in System Preferences. And it's been on the "Light" sensitivity all throughout. The whole thing has been driving me crazy. I just installed the 12.2 beta update to see if that might help; unfortunately, it has not.

I have the same issue (newest 2021 mbp with M1pro). But had it also in previous mbp (2016) - thus I believe it is software thing. In the past it was working as expected. Started to happening after some OS upgrade (already thought it is only my issue, but it is reproducible on few 2021 mbpros with M1pro and OS 12.1). It is annoying, reproducible with COMMAND or SHIFT.

I've just upgraded to monterey 12.2 on my 2021 macbook pro 14" and I'm still having issues with tap to click. This problem has been present since day 1 of owning the laptop. Command + tap takes several tries for it to register -- this is commonly used to open a new tab in Chrome for instance. Additionally every now and then simply tapping to click fails to register.

Same here - now Pro 14 M1 Pro and CMD-CLICK in browser is my no.1 action when searching to open links in a new tab. If this will not be fixed I can not use this flawed peace of hardware. This is so annoying apple.

Same here as well. MBpro 14 M1... even after Monterey 12.3 Update nothing has changed. I still need to hit cmd+tap (to click) 3 times before a link in a new browser tab will open. If I keep holding down the cmd key, every other tap will register. Super annoying!!

• Same here! M1 MBP 14 and complete disaster with the trackpad... Just bought it and will try to return during weekend, because I'll be better using MB Air with properly working trackpad or get the same MBP replaced, since this clearly is a guarantee invoking bug.

Add a Comment

MBPro 14 M1 receveived yesterday so it came preinstalled with Monterey. This is absolutely heartbreaking since they don't come cheap and I must use my MB pro 2013 for work instead. So hopefullyl there's a fix within a few weeks but it seems this has been going on for months for people so it seems a return is imminent. :/

MBPro 14 m1 Monterey 12.3.1 (21E258) tap-to-click not working properly. Please fix.

this issue happens to me also, MacBook pro m1 Monterey

I have the same issue and am in trouble.

Have the same issue on a brand new Macbook M1 Pro, macOS 12.3.1.

Having been using it for weeks, it's VERY bad for my RSI, would be forced to return to dell XPS.

CMD+tap only works after tapping three times or sometimes randomly.

Same problem here, persisting on a Macbook 14" through all OS updates. I can confirm the annoyance, and the impact on my workflow. Is there any online registry or petition? We have to encourage as many people as possible to report this, so that Apple can judge the scope of the problem and propose a solution.

I found the solution to fix this problem on this page https://www-howtoisolve-com.translate.goog/double-click-on-folder-not-working-in-os-x-yosemite-mavericks-and-lion/?_x_tr_sl=en&_x_tr_tl=pt&_x_tr_hl=pt-BR&_x_tr_pto=op,sc