NFC Tags won't read after iOS 15.4 update

After updating to iOS 15.4 I can no longer read any NFC tags. I believe Apple Pay is working fine.

Replication:
Unlock iPhone, hold NFC tag to top back of phone (without case or other magnetic or metallic materials nearby). Default iOS behaviour should be to read the contents of a known working tag (works perfectly on an Android device) and display a popup to manage the tag information (e.g. Popup would ask permission to open Safari to open a web link programmed on a tag)

3rd Party Tools: Previous versions of iOS 15 beta allowed read and write of NFC tags using apps such as NFC and NFC Tools. I have used "normal" mode, compatibility mode, have attempted to (re)format the tag to no avail. When conducting a read or write using these tools a popup appears, but no tag can be read or written. "Ready to Scan" popup remains open.

Further steps taken: Hard Reset: No effect

No change after an upgrate to IOS 16.1. iPhone 13 mini. iPhone is not able to read any payment terminal nor nfc tag. Apple Pay working just fine (in Apps or Web). Mine Apple Watch synced with the same phone working ok, able to read payment terminals just fine...

Hi All,

if it helps anyone, I have somewhat the same issue. When scanning NFC tags in automation app or NFC tools, it never fails. If I try then to read the NFC tag with the my phone, it doesn’t work. One solution I found is to lock the phone, and with the screen off, position the iPhone over the nfc tag, and press the side “wake” button. It reads 100% of the time for me.

hope it helps.

I found that if I turn off cellular, then I can read NFC devices. Not worth it for a silly device, but probably worth it for your GCM.

Forward to now....I have not had this issue until my iPhone 11 pro max upgraded to 16.1.1. It worked fine until the last update, and now I am without my blood sugar readings. I bricked two sensors (not cheap) trying to figure this out. The sensor works on my wife's 2020 SE Iphone, which has not been updated to the .1.1. Anyone had any luck with this? Did anyone else have this happen with the latest IOS update? Is there a way to downgrade IOS to the last version?

guys! I just updated to ios 16.3.1, and it worked! Still not sure if this is a one-time thing or if the bug is completely fixed, I will update on further conditions.

16.3.1 en Iphone Xs sigue sin funcionar, directamente no detecta ni escanea NFC.

Apple really needs to do something about this. Hundreds if not thousands probably have this issue and nothing has been done, instead we are told that we have to get new phones because of NFC Issues when really it's probably a software issue and not a hardware issue. Also for people like me who wear a glucose monitor when NFC is an absolute need for day to day life, it's a shame I have to buy a new phone just to be able to scan myself for my own health.

A día de hoy, en el iPhone SE 2020, con la actualización 16.3.1 sigue sin funcionar el NFC. No sirve ni para pagar ni para recargar saldo. No sé si sea un problema aislado o propio de los modelos de este tipo. ¿Alquien encontró una solución?

I have had this problem too for month. IPhone 12 Mini, IOS 16.3.1 MagSafeCover. I have tried for hours to get NFC working again without success. Apple Pay was working all the time but NFC not. I was using an app to read my German ID card, which was working fine on my IPhone SE 2020 in earlier days, but was not working now on my 12 mini. Today I tried it again with no success. For testing I am also using the NFC Tools (free version) app from wakdev. I opened the settings page from the NFC app an found a Modus switch there. It was switched to Compatibility in my case. Then I switched it to Normal and for the firtst time since month the NFC reading worked! I am soo glad that my phone is not broken and i can use the NFC function again! I hope this can help others too.

1 year later and it hasn’t been fixed? I’ve just updated to the latest iPhone update and still can’t read them I have to nfc readers on my phone and information on cards show on both but my own phone cannot read them

I have a field RFID Detector, decided to try it out on my phone and my friend’s phone. I put the detector to my phone, and it was blinking, so the nfc was trying to find a tag, but the light was very dim. Tried it on my friend’s phone. Light was brighter than ever, meaning a really high field of nfc. Maybe it’s a power issues, and there isn’t enough power going to the nfc chip?

NFC Tags won't read after iOS 15.4 update

Q