NFC Tags won't read after iOS 15.4 update

After updating to iOS 15.4 I can no longer read any NFC tags. I believe Apple Pay is working fine.

Replication:
Unlock iPhone, hold NFC tag to top back of phone (without case or other magnetic or metallic materials nearby). Default iOS behaviour should be to read the contents of a known working tag (works perfectly on an Android device) and display a popup to manage the tag information (e.g. Popup would ask permission to open Safari to open a web link programmed on a tag)

3rd Party Tools: Previous versions of iOS 15 beta allowed read and write of NFC tags using apps such as NFC and NFC Tools. I have used "normal" mode, compatibility mode, have attempted to (re)format the tag to no avail. When conducting a read or write using these tools a popup appears, but no tag can be read or written. "Ready to Scan" popup remains open.

Further steps taken: Hard Reset: No effect

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of BruceCalgary Down vote post of BruceCalgary
34k views
  • The same thing happened to me when I updated to 15.4.1. I am so frustrated. I have an iPhone SE 2020 and it's not even two years old yet. I use my phone to scan a continuous glucose sensor. It worked absolutely fine all day until I did the update. Immediately after I did the update NFC no longer worked. I did trouble shooting over the phone. Then went into a store. At the store the rep assured me that my phone was absolutely great and nothing was wrong with it -- despite the fact that it no longer read my CGM. In the process I tried two different expensive sensors to isolate if the issue was the sensor or the phone. Two sensors didn't work. I then used my son's phone to scan the sensor and it did work. Mind you, these sensors are $70 each and due to this issue I had to waste two of them. Since then I've had to carry two phones with me, mine and my son's old crusty iPhone 7 just so I can monitor my medical device.

After I went to the Apple store and was told my phone was fine, I went to the grocery store a couple of days later and attempted to use Apple Pay. It didn't work.

I returned to the Apple store and by the time all was said and done, three factory resets were done on my phone and a dozen other trouble shooting steps. Finally the apple rep tried to make an apple pay transaction on my phone and it didn't work. Only then did they agree that my NFC was not working.

I'm pretty peeved about this. I am barely out of warranty. I can't read my medical device. My only choice is to spend hundreds on a new phone, carry two phones or purchase an expensive dedicated sensor from Abbott pharmaceuticals. Adding a bit more salt to the wound, I see that Apple has a website set up to explicitly promote the usage of apple products to doctors, medical systems and patients.

Apple: If you are going to market wearable medical technologies to us, they have to reliably work. There are people who could actually die from this issue. It is no joking matter.

Please resolve this issue immediately, offer those affected a fix or an immediate free replacement. Our health and well being has been threatened by a buggy iOS update. This is dangerous in addition to being unfair.

• I found that if I turn off cellular, then I can read NFC devices. Not worth it for a silly device, but probably worth it for your GCM.

Add a Comment

Replies

A día de hoy, en el iPhone SE 2020, con la actualización 16.3.1 sigue sin funcionar el NFC. No sirve ni para pagar ni para recargar saldo. No sé si sea un problema aislado o propio de los modelos de este tipo. ¿Alquien encontró una solución?

I have had this problem too for month. IPhone 12 Mini, IOS 16.3.1 MagSafeCover. I have tried for hours to get NFC working again without success. Apple Pay was working all the time but NFC not. I was using an app to read my German ID card, which was working fine on my IPhone SE 2020 in earlier days, but was not working now on my 12 mini. Today I tried it again with no success. For testing I am also using the NFC Tools (free version) app from wakdev. I opened the settings page from the NFC app an found a Modus switch there. It was switched to Compatibility in my case. Then I switched it to Normal and for the firtst time since month the NFC reading worked! I am soo glad that my phone is not broken and i can use the NFC function again! I hope this can help others too.

• UPDATE: It worked for about ten minutes than it failed again. So for me it's pretty sure a software bug.

Add a Comment

1 year later and it hasn’t been fixed? I’ve just updated to the latest iPhone update and still can’t read them I have to nfc readers on my phone and information on cards show on both but my own phone cannot read them

I have a field RFID Detector, decided to try it out on my phone and my friend’s phone. I put the detector to my phone, and it was blinking, so the nfc was trying to find a tag, but the light was very dim. Tried it on my friend’s phone. Light was brighter than ever, meaning a really high field of nfc. Maybe it’s a power issues, and there isn’t enough power going to the nfc chip?

• It's 2023 and I still can't read any NFC tags in any app. I can pay with apple pay and make shortcuts for the NFC's. Because shortcuts scan the NFC without issues.

Add a Comment