M1 Xcode 13.3 without Rosetta, PO in debug doesn't work

Hi, I have error messages when I try to print some values in debug like "po varname" or "po expression"

I have messages: error: expression failed to parse: error: Couldn't realize type of self.

I use Xcode without rosetta, 13.3

I tried to clear derived data and clean project, it helps but after relaunch Xcode I have the same problem again

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of AlbertChb Down vote post of AlbertChb
10k views
  • issue is solved after updating to new xcode version Version 13.4.1 (13F100)

•   po self error: expression failed to parse: error: Couldn't realize type of self.

Add a Comment

Replies

When adding manually -add_ast_path and using -Wl on app target, I have an explicit message:

building for iOS Simulator-arm64 but attempting to link with file built for unknown-unsupported file format ( 0xE2 0x9C 0xA8 0x0E 0x01 0x08 0x00 0x00 0x5D 0x0B 0x00 0x00 0x07 0x01 0xB2 0xC0 )

But it works fine without this on Xcode 13.2.1 and Xcode 14.0 beta. It fails only with Xcode 13.3.1 and Xcode 13.4.1. (not tested with Xcode 13.3.0 or Xcode 13.4.0)

+1 Xcode 13.4.1, Monterey 12.4, 14" M1 Pro

This bug can also be reproduced with CocoaPods, with use_frameworks! linkage: :static in Podfile.

I shared a sample code on GitHub if someone is ready to help...

https://github.com/florentmorin/Xcode13LLDBBug

Same problem with macOS 12.5 + Xcode 13.4.1.

Feedback FB10426841 from end of June, taken in consideration since beginning of July.

Shared sample code: https://github.com/florentmorin/Xcode13LLDBBug

Issue opened to CocoaPods repository: https://github.com/CocoaPods/CocoaPods/issues/11470

Seems to be difficult to solve. If anyone has a solution, don't hesitate. 😅

Forever the same problem.

Sample code has been updated with a default static library included to project: https://github.com/florentmorin/Xcode13LLDBBug

The same problem occurred with static pods and command line (in sample code)

I found a potential answer. The sample source code (see above) has been updated.

In fact, -add_ast_path with module is not required with Xcode < 13.3 and Xcode >= 14. But .swiftmodule path changed between Xcode versions.

Is this a bug from Xcode or Swift 5.6? That's the question.

Solution that works fine 😁

OK, it works fine now, thanks to Xcode team! Successfully tested with Xcode 13.2.1, 13.3.1, 13.4.1 and 14 beta 5.

Here is the sample code.

Technical explanation is detailed in the WWDC22 session Debug Swift debugging with LLDB.

Short solution, in many cases.

Static framework

Use a Debug.xcconfig file dedicated to DEBUG configuration.

// Xcode 13.3+
OTHER_LDFLAGS = -Wl,-add_ast_path,$(TARGET_BUILD_DIR)/InternalFramework.framework/Modules/InternalFramework.swiftmodule/$(NATIVE_ARCH_ACTUAL)-apple-$(SHALLOW_BUNDLE_TRIPLE).swiftmodule

// Xcode 13.2
OTHER_LDFLAGS[sdk=iphoneos15.2] = -Wl,-add_ast_path,$(TARGET_BUILD_DIR)/InternalFramework.framework/Modules/InternalFramework.swiftmodule/$(NATIVE_ARCH_ACTUAL)-apple-ios.swiftmodule
OTHER_LDFLAGS[sdk=iphonesimulator15.2] = -Wl,-add_ast_path,$(TARGET_BUILD_DIR)/InternalFramework.framework/Modules/InternalFramework.swiftmodule/$(NATIVE_ARCH_ACTUAL)-apple-simulator.swiftmodule

Static library

Use a Debug.xcconfig file dedicated to DEBUG configuration.

// Xcode 13.3+
OTHER_LDFLAGS = -Wl,-add_ast_path,$(TARGET_BUILD_DIR)/InternalStaticLibrary.swiftmodule/$(NATIVE_ARCH_ACTUAL)-apple-$(SHALLOW_BUNDLE_TRIPLE).swiftmodule

// Xcode 13.2
OTHER_LDFLAGS[sdk=iphoneos15.2] = -Wl,-add_ast_path,$(TARGET_BUILD_DIR)/InternalStaticLibrary.swiftmodule/$(NATIVE_ARCH_ACTUAL)-apple-ios.swiftmodule
OTHER_LDFLAGS[sdk=iphonesimulator15.2] = -Wl,-add_ast_path,$(TARGET_BUILD_DIR)/InternalStaticLibrary.swiftmodule/$(NATIVE_ARCH_ACTUAL)-apple-simulator.swiftmodule

CocoaPods with static linkage

Update Podfile with this code.

post_integrate do |installer|
    xcconfig_path = installer.sandbox.target_support_files_root.to_s + '/Pods-App/Pods-App.debug.xcconfig'

xcconfig_content = File.read xcconfig_path
    xcconfig_original_ld_flags = xcconfig_content.match(/OTHER_LDFLAGS = ([^\n]+)\n/)[1]

xcconfig_new_ld_flags = <<~CONTENT

// Xcode 13.3+
    OTHER_LDFLAGS = #{xcconfig_original_ld_flags} -Wl,-add_ast_path,$(TARGET_BUILD_DIR)/InternalPod/InternalPod.framework/Modules/InternalPod.swiftmodule/$(NATIVE_ARCH_ACTUAL)-apple-$(SHALLOW_BUNDLE_TRIPLE).swiftmodule

// Xcode 13.2
    OTHER_LDFLAGS[sdk=iphoneos15.2] = #{xcconfig_original_ld_flags} -Wl,-add_ast_path,$(TARGET_BUILD_DIR)/InternalPod/InternalPod.framework/Modules/InternalPod.swiftmodule/$(NATIVE_ARCH_ACTUAL)-apple-ios.swiftmodule
    OTHER_LDFLAGS[sdk=iphonesimulator15.2] = #{xcconfig_original_ld_flags} -Wl,-add_ast_path,$(TARGET_BUILD_DIR)/InternalPod/InternalPod.framework/Modules/InternalPod.swiftmodule/$(NATIVE_ARCH_ACTUAL)-apple-simulator.swiftmodule

CONTENT

xcconfig_content.gsub! /OTHER_LDFLAGS = ([^\n]+)\n/, xcconfig_new_ld_flags

File.open(xcconfig_path, 'w') do |f|
      f.puts xcconfig_content
    end

end

Still happening on Xcode 14.2