App Review on App Store Connect says Invalid Binary

I am getting an invalid binary when submitting my app for review. I am able to upload the build and run it as a pre-production beta on my device using TestFlight. I was under the assumption invalid binary checks were done when the app was uploaded and you would get an invalid binary for an entitlement or plist issue. However, I did not get any of these errors when uploading. I only get them when submitting to the App Store Review Team for review.

My core problem is that invalid binary is nondescript and there is no way to trouble shoot this problem without knowing what exactly makes my entitlements and/or plist get flagged by production checks as invalid (binary seems entirely inaccurate here but I’ll go with it).

Really, I’m not going to post my code here and it’s not an Xcode specific/versioning issue, like previous posts have mentioned. I’d really like an Apple professional to send me what I’m missing in my entitlements or plist (they do this) or a poster to tell me where I can go to determine, after an upload, where an invalid binary was flagged so I can get the error code and fix it.

I’m also curious (as an aside) if Apple has the ability to reject apps for an invalid binary, bypassing the automated production checks in the backend. I’m sure Apple has the capability to give permissions to do it but I’m curious whether there is technical implementation to allow this to occur. I feel like it’s weird for me to pass checks when uploading (required to upload and TestFlight any app) and fail when going to the review team (no reason to redundantly recheck checks already completed on a local machine in Xcode and during the upload process with another re-re-check). I guess it doesn’t hurt to check your re-check and re-check your re-check but then the question becomes if this is an indication of a deeper problem with code in the backend that an engineer isn’t fixing/maintaining properly.

Any information would be appreciated.

Replies

I am getting an invalid binary when submitting my app for review.

I think your best option here is to engage with the App Store Connect support folks.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• This is a development issue on Apple's end. Hence, I am posting in the developer forums. The goal is to get Apple to fix their system checking so it includes the same system checks when submitting an app to the App Store Review team as it does when you upload a binary from Xcode to TestFlight. This seems like an obvious measure honestly. Also, a plist and/or entitlement issue is a development issue and not an App Store Connect problem, as it invalidates the entire binary. You might have had an argument that it wasn't if you could modify the entitlements after submission (which makes more sense) but because they are included as esoteric code in the code itself, you don't really have an argument. Also, this post was to verify that other posts which state deleting Xcode and reinstalling it was a time-consuming solution and not really a solution at all.

Add a Comment

The goal is to get Apple to fix their system checking so it includes the same system checks

Oh, I misunderstood. In that case the best way to get that request in front of the relevant folks is to file a bug.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"