Camera not working on iOS16

I installed the iOS16 beta to test the new features and everything works well except the camera, which when I access it the screen is completely black. Initially I upgraded from iOS15, after restarting, turning off/on, I tried to restore the iPhone in different ways (from the Mac and from the iPhone) without solving the problem.

I also tried to restore to iOS15 to rule out a hardware problem and here the camera worked correctly, so I upgraded back to iOS16 and it stopped working.

The camera does not work in any application, in the Camera, in iMessage, Halide, Instagram, WhatsApp,... The controls and buttons of the camera app do work, but it doesn't take the photo or see anything.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of xtianp87 Down vote post of xtianp87
24k views
  • does anyone know how to fix it yet?

• when my Updated my dad’s iphone X to ios 16 the camera doesn’t work at all at 1x zoom. flash light also doesn’t work.

camera only works at 2x zoom front facing camera works

• same here. i updated ios16.2 and till now i can’t access my x0.5 in my camera

Replies

Same here. It's so annoying.

• Same here on iOS 16.2. Camera works from camera app but shows up black screen when try to take pic from with imessage

• Same issues as stated above — Can use IMessage a few times with pictures and then it just stops — I mean take a photo by switching to camera mode and then send IMessage with image — But can NOT add to an existing IMESSAGE image while in IMESSAGE ——Very irritating non working feature /? I have done the reset. , restarted , blah blah —. I can restart my phone and it will work a few times and then out of the blue it just stops — I USE MY CAMERA ON MY PHONE A LOT SO PLEASE FIX

Add a Comment

I have the same problem on my iPhone XS Max. What an idea to release a beta version with such a critical bug. Especially since no communication from Apple suggests that they are aware of this bug.

Same issue here with my 12 pm, perfect on ios 15ish and pretty laggy, slow on ios 16.

• Same problem iPhone 11 pro Max iOS 16.0.2. Restart phone and then it lets me take one video. Tries to mail viseo. Mail freezes.

Add a Comment

I got the same issue and after restarting the phone I got a warning message saying the camera is not genuine. It is a IPhone 12 pro that has never been repaired. Attempting to go back to IOS 15. Hope this solves the issue.

• I have this same issue after upgrading to the latest public beta on the 26th of Aug. Randomly later in the day, the camera stopped working and after rebooting my iPhone 12 Pro, it gave me a message about not being able to verify the part. Are you still getting this message?

• Same here unfortunately seems there is no fix yet

• @werth74 I am facing same issue as yours. I also own Iphone 12 pro and after updating to iOS 16 randomly two days later my camera stopped working and iphone doesn’t determine the camera calling it unknown part. Did any fix work for you

i have the exact same issue on iphone 12. camera worked with beta 1 but not on beta 2. face ID works to unlock my phone but everything else to do with camera doesnt. needs a fix fast.

• In my case, with the update to DB2 the error has been solved, I couldn't do anything during those 2 weeks. Sorry for not being able to help you or tell you anything more

Add a Comment

I just want to know if Apple is planning on fixing this up or if I should jus run back to android because this is disappointing… I have downgraded but still have the same ish Camera won’t work Face ID not working and my torch light also doesn’t work … is Apple going to fix this issue ?

I have just downloaded it today and noticed my cameras stopped working. Pretty sad to say that there is been nothing from Apple NZ to see if they would release a beta with such a big bug

I’m having the same issue. Oddly it didn’t happen with the first public beta and is only happening with public beta 2

• Seems to only affect rear camera. Also, I need more testing but seems to happen more when the battery is low

Add a Comment

same problem, my flashlight also doesnt work. Does anyone have this problem still?

• I still have the camera issue. Was anyone able to fix this?

Add a Comment

I’ve had the same issue ever since ios16 dev beta 2. I can get the wide angle 0.5 camera to record videos though. Panorama photos on 0.5 works as well.

Haven’t had this issue but I have had concerns with the image processing of photos taken using macro mode after updating - I think the image sums up the issue (blotches all over the image)

Dev beta 7...still having black camera screen issue. Anyone else? Tried flashing new IPSW to no avail.

• Yes same issues with iOS 16 beta 7 is having blank camera screen or so

Add a Comment

Is it still present in the latest build, public beta 6?

Add a Comment

Still an issue as of the latest update today. Ugh. Is Apple just not aware of this? It doesn’t seem to be that well known of a problem.

• True its annoying. I can only use wide camera. No potrait no ultra wide

Add a Comment

Has anyone checked if they have an issue on their 13 pro models with macro photos? Seems to be an issues with all betas and hasn’t been fixed. Macro photos aren’t properly processed and get serious pixel blotches/marks on the image which ruins them. Only happens in macro mode and on default camera app (see image below where I have taken a screenshot of the photo and circled the issue).

• I have an iPhone 12 Pro and updated to 16.0.3 a little late from the last ios. My front camera, back camera, and flashlight all immediately stopped working. I spent five hours in the local Apple Store, and although they were really nice they ultimately said that there was nothing they could do to fix this until the developers do. I need to use the camera for work and am now totally out of luck waiting for the iphone 14 I ordered over a month ago to finally ship.

Add a Comment