Camera not working on iOS16

I installed the iOS16 beta to test the new features and everything works well except the camera, which when I access it the screen is completely black. Initially I upgraded from iOS15, after restarting, turning off/on, I tried to restore the iPhone in different ways (from the Mac and from the iPhone) without solving the problem.

I also tried to restore to iOS15 to rule out a hardware problem and here the camera worked correctly, so I upgraded back to iOS16 and it stopped working.

The camera does not work in any application, in the Camera, in iMessage, Halide, Instagram, WhatsApp,... The controls and buttons of the camera app do work, but it doesn't take the photo or see anything.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of xtianp87 Down vote post of xtianp87
24k views
  • does anyone know how to fix it yet?

• when my Updated my dad’s iphone X to ios 16 the camera doesn’t work at all at 1x zoom. flash light also doesn’t work.

camera only works at 2x zoom front facing camera works

• same here. i updated ios16.2 and till now i can’t access my x0.5 in my camera

Replies

Does this issue happen on the public beta as well?

Same here when I switched to the bata at first everything worked fine, minus a few freezing apps but then the last bata update came out, and now just my front-facing camera doesn’t work. Then the rear is fine. This just happened I think 2 days ago. It’s very inconvenient, then when I took it to apple. They said they wanted to send my phone in for 5-7 days cause they have no idea what was wrong.

I have the same issue with my iPhone XR.

The rear camera and flashlight stopped working after I think 3rd or 4th developer beta.

I hypothesize that this might be one of the reasons Apple ganged up on the third-party websites that were distributing developer beta profiles because someone missed this bug that's bricking the camera and they released it to the public. People like me, unfortunately, downloaded the firmware before they could've fixed it.

Considering the fact that going back to iOS 15 doesn't resolve the issue and that Public Beta RC didn't fix the issue, I think the issue of this magnitude would result in many people losing their rear camera and having to pay for the repair.

I confirm that updating to GM doesn't resolve the issue. I've reported it to Apple devs via feedback app, please do the same, linking this thread.

Dear Apple, I have uploaded ios 16 But after my front camera doesn’t work i want to know do you fix that problem future

Hello Apple, since I updated my 13 pro max to ios16 beta and the latest ios16 my back camera don’t work, it’s shows black. It seems this issues is been ignored for since the release of ios16.

Same problem! Updated my XS Max to iOS 16 today and now my front camera isn’t working. It goes blurry and even my on screen buttons don’t work. When is Apple going to fix this problem?

• I still have same problem with [16.0.2]

Add a Comment

I kind of have the same issue, the main camera of my iPhone 12 pro max had shattered, therefore my flashlight and main camera doesn’t work, however the zoom cameras on the regular camera app, and the selfie camera on all apps work. But when I updated to ios 16 none of these work, all cameras have gone black. Anyone know if apple are aware of this?

• please let me know if oyu have this fixed. Im nervous because some people have this for more than 3 months now and still no reports of it being fixed.

Add a Comment

I still have kinda same issue with 16.0.2. It kinda looks like the front camera can’t start.

Is this really there way of making us upgrade our phones? Like jesus this pettiness with customer retention reminds me of Meta with making their account deactivation so tedious. Ugh! So my camera has the glass busted out of the bottom 12pm camera , and water got in there and even moisture in my front camera socket a year ago and it WORKED FOR A WHOLE YEAR UNTIL , this MINOR "BUG" RUINS IT, ruins everyones camera and there seems to be no fix??? My phone is updated to 16.0.2 and still not working, also still have to swipe up to see notifications. Being a influencer on snapchat, this is our worst nightmare lol. Hey apple , how about you type an email to my agency explaining why i cant meet view quotas this month because you decided to ruin peoples phones and seem to be oblivious to any resolution. Or send me a new phone at least, oh wait..... 🤣

Still having the same issue. On my iPhone 12 after downloading the IOS16 beta my focus is non-existent for my 1.0x zoom rear camera. Across all apps, this camera is just very blurry including videos. The rest is still properly working (0.9x zoom and the front camera). Apple please fix this asap even in the current update the issue is not resolved.

Has this been resolved for anyone?

i did a software update last week & this issue only started yesterday. iPhone 13 less than a year old! Ridiculous! The camera worked for around 15 mins yesterday evening and then went off mid FaceTime. Very strange.

I have the same problem with my iPhone SE. The back camera and flashlight don’t work. I’ve contacted Apple Support and the diagnostic they did showed that the camera sensor was not being detected, so it looks like a hardware problem (a bit strange that some people are reporting the same problem after updating). They’ve booked me an appointment in an Apple Store. Please call Apple Support so they can notice the problem. I’ll update you after going to the Apple Store.

• Hi! How was the problem solved? I've got the same problem these days.

Add a Comment

Same thing happening with my home camera(s). Specifically the Eufy’s. Only happening on iPadOS 16 . iOS 16 just fine.

Having same issue on my iPhone X only