AppleID Login failing in virtualized OS

Logging in with my Apple ID anywhere in the system (feedback assistant, Xcode, iCloud, etc.) fails when running under virtualization. Is this a known 'issue'? (networking in general is working fine)

Answered by DTS Engineer in 790410022

Apple just started seeding macOS 15 beta, where the Virtualization framework supports iCloud logins for macOS 15 guests. For the details, see Using iCloud with macOS virtual machines.

IMPORTANT This requires macOS 15 as both the guest and the host.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I've been programming for about 30 years now. My son is now also an enthusiastic programmer.

My original enthusiasm is increasingly decreasing :-(

Me and my son own around 20 Apple devices. We wanted to create our first universal app for Apple.

We also wanted to use the Parallels app with a working Apple login for various reasons.

This restriction does not apply to Windows and Linux!

I have also read that this is apparently not possible. It's not just this restriction that makes me and my son sad and angry.

If I may have made a mistake, I would be happy to receive a tip.

Otherwise, unfortunately, not only for this reason, we will have to look for another more open operating system :-(

Ps. I'm pretty sure words can't appease me. Something has to be done here!

Kind regards

Wow, just hit this issue today - had no idea this was a limitation. Hope this gets resolved at some point!

Piling on.

Due to the (also terrible) decision to require SettingsLink on anything built on Sonoma, I need a Ventura build environment. My 2016 MBP can't run Ventura, so I need to run it on my main system, apparently not in a VM. Ugh. It seems Apple would like me to rewrite my app in SwiftUI when I couldn't originally due to limitations not present in AppKit (and possibly still there, at this point I don't care to look).

This really just defeats the purpose of a VM. I want to seriously stick with Macs, but this is just silly. This Studio M1 almost worthless, thinking I should've went with Lenovo. Does Flutter work from Windows to MAC?

As many others have stated this limitation is strange and does not make sense. It defeats the purpose of having a vm as long as many/most apps are only in the app store. And while syncing certain items like keychain can only occur in icloud.

The use cases for running vm's that can access the app store and icloud are many. There are developers who use it, support admins who use it, and many home users. From sandboxing an unknown app to having a different desktop configuration on your machine with out having to reboot. I have used this feature for years both personally and at my jobs. It makes it easy to spin up a system that is pristine for testing and you don't have to care about the clutter left behind. You can snap shot them, back them up, and migrate them from one Mac to another one.

They really are so versatile and with the speeds of the M series laptops I would say for the first time in a long time able to run at speeds that are enticing all around. I would hope that Apple would reverse this decision or that the community will do what they do and find a work around that will enable this very basic feature set..

Just want to add my voice tot he chorus of people here saying “why in the world would you not have this basic functionality?!?” I would like to be able to run Xcode in a vm to keep my environment clean for different projects. I’m so close to being able to accomplish that but the inability to login to Apple ID related things is stopping me. Please fix this!

any update with this?

This really needs to be resolved. The ability to test, debug, and build apps in professional workflows requires ease of setting up VMs and debugging apps. Xcode requires Apple ID login, which does not work in a VM like UTM.

This means I can't easily debug my software on new OS'es without updating my entire system? Thats insane in 2024 with containerized workflows as a defacto standard.

Come on.

Ah, so this appears fixed in macOS 15. Older Virtualization Framework systems (ie older hosts) won't work.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/virtualization/using_icloud_with_macos_virtual_machines

Can we get confirmation that:

macOS 14 (13, 12, 11 etc) running as a guest on a macOS 15 workstation would get a Secure Enclave identity allowing the macOS 14 (13, 12, 11 etc) guest OS to sign into iCloud, use Xcode, etc?

Can we get confirmation that:

macOS 14 (13, 12, 11 etc) running as a guest on a macOS 15 workstation would get a Secure Enclave identity allowing the macOS 14 (13, 12, 11 etc) guest OS to sign into iCloud, use Xcode, etc?

No. To get the device identity necessary to access iCloud you need to run macOS 15 guest on macOS 15 host. That doc you referenced is pretty clear about this:

When you create a VM in macOS 15 from a macOS 15 software image … Virtualization configures an identity for the VM that it derives from security information in the host’s Secure Enclave.

Share and Enjoy

Accepted Answer

Apple just started seeding macOS 15 beta, where the Virtualization framework supports iCloud logins for macOS 15 guests. For the details, see Using iCloud with macOS virtual machines.

IMPORTANT This requires macOS 15 as both the guest and the host.

Share and Enjoy

secured @#enclave crap. im on Sequoia, running Sonoma on the virtual m , and cannot sign in to Xcode.. I need to upload my app to the appstore connect without getting a binary invalid earn

Why both? Why not something like device support files for those wishing to keep the host intact?

Why both?

I can’t answer why questions [1]. Normally I’d suggest that you file a bug requesting a change in this policy, but I don’t think that’d be a valuable use of your time in this case.

Share and Enjoy

[1] Something I specifically call out in Quinn’s Top Ten DevForums Tips.

AppleID Login failing in virtualized OS

Q