AppleID Login failing in virtualized OS

• +1 for this, I really need this feature, it would speed up so much testing.

• This is essential.

• +1 for this feature. I use VMs to test different developer technologies for which Store sign-in is required.

Apple Recommended

• This is a frustrating, unnecessary limitation. My use case is to isolate development environments, and I was able to do this with macOS before.

• Thank you for clarifying this. At least I now know I wasn't screwing up in my UTM VMs. I will file a feature request; I'd like to be able to use VMs for additional TestFlight testing for apps with System Extensions.

Add a Comment

Replies

I'm working on a endpoint protection software and need a VM as a testing environment. being able to test with development beta is mandatory for me for discovering issues as early as possible.

If you’re talking about current beta stuff, my answer is “I don’t know.” I’ll do some digging…

I got confirmation that the Apple ID story hasn’t changed (r. 102844895). It’s definitely a priority — partly based on the number of bugs that you folks have filed! — but, as always, I can’t make any promises about The Future™.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Quinn -

Both Version 14.0 Developer Beta 3 (23A5286g last week) and Version 14.0 Public Beta (23A5286i this week) still have this problem. Is any progress towards fixing this problem now on the horizon? Beyond development use cases, having to rebuild your test VM every week or two to stay current is a pain in the tail and a waste of time that is short.

Add a Comment

Just found this issue because I was trying out macOS 14 in a VM, and noted that I couldn't log into either my account or my tester account. Fingers cross this is something sorted before the end of the macOS 14 beta cycle.

I wouldn't overly mind if it's only restricted to the Sandbox Testers accounts.

/me tosses VM in trash

I wish I'd known this before setting up the VM. Sonoma isn't like previous OSes; I can't sacrifice an old machine to it. This means I won't be testing for several months.

I'm okay with that, but it's nice to contribute. 😀

Why bother listing reasons why Apple ID should work in VMs? It is never going to work and Apple has no intention to make it work. It's been broken for years.

@eskimo Hi! Thanks so much. What is this new download? Is it related to this problem? Do we install it on the VM or in the host? https://developer.apple.com/download/ Regardless, I tried on the host and the VM w/o success.

How do we update our VM running macOS 14 beta 1 to beta 2? Thanks!

Device Support for macOS 14 beta 2
Install Device Support for macOS 14 beta 2 if installing the macOS Seed in a virtual Machine fails on a host Mac.
Released
June 21, 2023 
Build
1700B21
Download Device Support Image

Device Support for macOS 14 beta 2
1700B21

chrisalbertson wrote:

It is never going to work and Apple has no intention to make it work.

I’d appreciate you not posting extraordinary claims without solid evidence to back them up.

Bolsinga wrote:

What is this new download?

Please start a new thread for this. This thread is already long enough )-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

@eskimo Thanks for the information regarding this. I appreciate the efforts you and your team have been putting into this per your post of a couple weeks ago. That said, I'd like to offer my .02:

I've noticed that the macOS 14 beta system seems to be tied to an Apple ID; I was running Sonoma beta 1 in a VM and wasn't able to upgrade it to beta 2 without manually downloading the IPSW and re-building the VM. I do get the requests for updated betas on my host Mac (13 inch M1 MBP), but I'm a bit hesitant to actually run the beta on the host -- namely because I've got a thesis going, and would understandably like to wait until it's over before I go updating.

It is also notable because I wasn't able to use a Mac VM as part of my thesis research and instead moved a fair amount to Windows and Linux VMs that don't have issues with accessing functionality. For example, it would have been nice to see how HomeKit in Ventura and Sonoma played with the lab network, but I was fundamentally unable to do this with a VM.

This has been frustrating me since the day I got my Apple Silicon Mac. I need virtual environments to build and debug my application under new OSes. I vastly prefer doing that under a VM rather than having to boot from a partition or use a dedicated machine.

Help us, Apple; you're our only hope.

• Totally agree!

I could not understand, WHY Apple does it!

Add a Comment

I've just encountered this limitation after downloading macOS Sonoma 14 Beta 5 and spending some time debugging it. We basically need to test under Sonoma and having no possibility of using AppleIds is quite limiting...then I wonder, why to allow to use VMs for it? what's the purpose of having it?

I hope Apple takes this into consideration. We really need this.

Sam.

I have a particular use case which falls outside of development, specifically: I have a client who wants to use multiple iPhones to do multi-camera recording and monitor the video from ALL of the cameras in real-time. It's easy to use screen mirroring to mirror one phone to their laptop, but it's not possible to mirror multiple screens onto the same machine (obviously). Running multiple VMs to act as AirPlay receivers would work perfectly for this -- except that the VMs would have to be signed in to the same Apple ID to be able to mirror the display, and I can't sign in to any Apple ID at all.

If there is some other workaround, I'd be pleased to hear it.

I don’t know how to upvote as I tried and doesn’t seem to work but can we fix this and nested virtualization for the love of all that is worthwhile In this world?

• This is a frustrating, unnecessary limitation. My use case is to isolate development environments, and I was able to do this with macOS before.

• Thank you for clarifying this. At least I now know I wasn't screwing up in my UTM VMs. I will file a feature request; I'd like to be able to use VMs for additional TestFlight testing for apps with System Extensions.

Add a Comment

+1 on Fix.

If we run in x86_64 using Rosetta, it works?