AppleID Login failing in virtualized OS

• +1 for this, I really need this feature, it would speed up so much testing.

• This is essential.

• +1 for this feature. I use VMs to test different developer technologies for which Store sign-in is required.

Apple Recommended

• This is a frustrating, unnecessary limitation. My use case is to isolate development environments, and I was able to do this with macOS before.

• Thank you for clarifying this. At least I now know I wasn't screwing up in my UTM VMs. I will file a feature request; I'd like to be able to use VMs for additional TestFlight testing for apps with System Extensions.

Add a Comment

Replies

Just to add to the use cases - the upgrade to Sonoma broke one of my critical apps - like others here, I've invested heavily in a high spec machine for the purpose of virtualisation, and not being able to run an older version of MacOS is bonkers (aside from the time I just wasted wondering what the heck was going on !) so +1 for this feature. I'm left hoping that my vendor fixes the issue soon otherwise I have to downgrade, and that's never fun :-/

Oh wow, just setting up my new mac with bumped up specs in order to run virtual machine dev environments and hit the same limitation as everyone else here. :-( What a HUGE disappointment and failure. I'm flabbergasted apple thought this intentional limitation was acceptable. I hope they reverse course and lift this show stopping restriction.

• This is very unfortunate and I totally regret having upgraded to the Apple Silicone machines as the #1 reason I wanted one was to use the extra memory and run multiple macOS VMs for testing various development setups. This whole thing makes me want to go back to Windows with WSL.

Add a Comment

I just stumbled onto this issue. This is horrific and breaks one of the main reasons I updated. This is a really dumb archaic rule and needs to be changed to enable vm's to sign into icloud.

I'd love it if Apple would have this fixed soon given that it presumably has been an issue for 2-3 years now. I read a post on an external site that mentioned some of the challenges that Apple might be facing to actually implement this. From a developer's perspective, I completely understand and surely shipping it without Apple ID login is better than no virtualization at all, but as a user, it's quite frustrating to get a new Apple silicon machine with the primary benefit of increased development speed and then run into this.

Since I'm just now getting up to speed on the new M1 chip, this feels like a brick wall in the street instead of a speed-bump. I have ALWAYS developed my mobile software in a VM and now I can't do that.

+1 for wanting an easy way to build an run inside a VM. This would dramatically speed up iteration when a bug is found in an old version of macOS and we're trying to fix it.

Ok, then, that was quite unexpected. My plan was to buy an Apple Silicon Mac and run MacOS in VMs to be able to test Intune MDM. But since Im not able to sign in with AppleId this won't work. I guess I scramble that idea, no Mac for me until this is solved. Sad story, wy make it so hard Apple?

So theres nothing apple want to change after an entire year? our use case is just real and reasonable, so plz just move fast in this damn limited

I just realized that. I've been virtualizing Linux on Mac for years, but now I have a use case for MacOS virtualized on an M1 Mac. It is absurd that Linux is fully functional when virtualized on an Apple Silicon Mac, but the virtualized MacOS is neutered, while virtualized Linux and even Windows are fully functional?

• Let me guess... The App Store on Apple Silicon is known to the state of California to cause cancer?

Add a Comment

I use virtual machines for many different things. Isolated environments and alternate configurations are just two reasons which I can only assume that a very high percentage of people who use virtualization would also expect working virtualization to accomplish. For my purpose, if the App Store is broken, then essentially, the virtualization of Mac OS is broken.

Apple has had YEARS to resolve this issue. Apple has had VERSIONS of MacOS to resolve this issue. Apple has had GENERATIONS of Silicon to resolve this issue. I am led to believe Apple does not care or that Apple does not respect the needs of their users enough to provide effective resolution to this continuing disability. Yet we regularly get new emojis. ***.

Let me step back from the WHY Apple does/does not do whatever it is that impairs the App Store on Virtualized Mac OS on Apple Silicon. And let me instead ask WHAT part of the virtualization and/or Apple Silicon breaks the App Store?

Can someone provide explanation as to what is happening that breaks the App Store?

Without capability to log into appleID environment the VM (I use UTM) is quite useless for my use case : sandbox administrator privileges, access to iCloud, testing on different app deployed from Appstore, etc into a corporate non privileged machine

I've been programming for about 30 years now. My son is now also an enthusiastic programmer.

My original enthusiasm is increasingly decreasing :-(

Me and my son own around 20 Apple devices. We wanted to create our first universal app for Apple.

We also wanted to use the Parallels app with a working Apple login for various reasons.

This restriction does not apply to Windows and Linux!

I have also read that this is apparently not possible. It's not just this restriction that makes me and my son sad and angry.

If I may have made a mistake, I would be happy to receive a tip.

Otherwise, unfortunately, not only for this reason, we will have to look for another more open operating system :-(

Ps. I'm pretty sure words can't appease me. Something has to be done here!

Kind regards

Wow, just hit this issue today - had no idea this was a limitation. Hope this gets resolved at some point!

Piling on.

Due to the (also terrible) decision to require SettingsLink on anything built on Sonoma, I need a Ventura build environment. My 2016 MBP can't run Ventura, so I need to run it on my main system, apparently not in a VM. Ugh. It seems Apple would like me to rewrite my app in SwiftUI when I couldn't originally due to limitations not present in AppKit (and possibly still there, at this point I don't care to look).

This really just defeats the purpose of a VM. I want to seriously stick with Macs, but this is just silly. This Studio M1 almost worthless, thinking I should've went with Lenovo. Does Flutter work from Windows to MAC?