Getting the ...user-assigned-device-name entitlement?

In iOS 16, UIDevice.name has changed to only return the model of the device, not the user specified name.

There is an entitlement, com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name that can be requested to keep the old behaviour, but I can't find any info on how to request that entitlement.

Anyone able to help?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Wellington Down vote post of Wellington
13k views
  • I have the same issue. UIDevice.current.name always callback iPhone

Add a Comment

Replies

I came across this whilst search how to request another entitlement...

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/656411

I have not yet had a response as to whether there exists a new process or we are still using the TSI route.

Good luck. I'll be watching this thread :)

The process for requesting managed entitlements varies by entitlement. You can’t extrapolate from com.apple.vm.networking to, say, com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name.

With regards the latter, I don’t have any info to share on that front.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• So not even worth opening a TSI for it?

• No.

Add a Comment

How can I use that entitlement? I need it for my app and I can't find related information.

• There isn‘t any yet, that‘s the problem.

Add a Comment

What is the channel to be used to request for entitlement "com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name" to get the device custom name ?

What is the channel to be used … ?

Quoting my own post upthread:

I don’t have any info to share on that front.

This is definitely happening, but as per usual Apple policy I can’t comment on The Future™.

Share and Enjoy

(r. 95320818)

Actually I thought this had been resolved in The Present™, but it seems the timeline has been altered, and we all know from sci-fi how dangerous that can be. ;-) There was a post a few days ago from an  person announcing the URL of a page to request the entitlement. But that post has mysteriously disappeared, even though the linked page is still live. So I guess we can infer that last week’s Present is now this week’s Future.

But that post has mysteriously disappeared

Yep. There was a memo, but not all of us got it )-:

Share and Enjoy

This is definitely happening, but as per usual Apple policy I can’t comment on The Future™.

It seems that The Future™ is now. The docs for this just went live.

Share and Enjoy

WWDC,

wwdc2022-10096 and 10068 it's great information, but we don't know how to fix on the "UIDevice.current.name" case and working with iOS16 (beta4 or next beta..x)

• Privacy is good reason for changes, but a lot of Apps to used on "UIDevice.current.name" on app.
  • Our customers a lot of concern and don't know how to fix it before Apple release iOS16 soon.
  • I implemented "com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name" on app, it's don't work.

Related :

1. https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2022/10096/
  2. https://developers.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2022/10068/?time=1384
  3. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/72983299/how-to-get-an-ipads-device-name-on-ios16

I implemented com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name on app, it's don't work.

Please elaborate on “it’s don’t work”.

Share and Enjoy

• Is it possible to get this entitlement: com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name

if you are using an enterprise application? My enterprise account says I do not have permission, but my regular dev account does

• After checked with apple enterprise account and don't access to "User-Assigned Device Name Entitlement"

**Error message: **

Provisioning profile "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: com.yourdomain.yourapp" doesn't include the com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name entitlement.

screen : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CgTB6BY8_PiOgaHwmjhlnZ0d-gU7tp-8/view?usp=sharing

Add a Comment

I implemented "com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name" on app, it's don't work.

Provisioning profile "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: com.yourdomain.yourapp" doesn't include the com.apple.developer.device-information.user-assigned-device-name entitlement

Just to clarify, are you saying you applied for the entitlement, and received approval, and verified the entitlement is now present in your app ID and provisioning profile, and still got that error message?

a lot of Apps to used on "UIDevice.current.name" on app.

A question toward @eskimo that isn’t covered in the new doc: is this one of those features that still works the old way for existing apps built with an older SDK? Or will all existing apps get the new behavior when running on iOS 16?

Add a Comment

We are developed app under "Apple Developer Program as an organization account" and [something went wrong]

Aha, maybe an issue with your developer program role. If I log into my personal account, then the entitlement request page works. But if I log into my company’s account where I hold the Developer role, then the same link leads to a “you don’t have permission for this” page. So I’m guessing the request needs to be submitted by an Admin or possibly App Manager.

I try to logic under "apple develop program" and found User Assigned Device Name Entitlement page and submit screen.

But, I changed account to "apple enterprise program" don't found submit screen. I'm login by "Account Holder" Roles (it's admin)

• Now we send support request to Apple team and wait feedback in 2 day.

• Resolved, apple approved i can access to User Assigned Device Name Entitlement web site (under apple enterprise account). Contact to apple team and they will be help you.

Add a Comment

is this one of those features that still works the old way for existing apps built with an older SDK?

No. You get the iOS 16 behaviour regardless of your linked SDK.

Consider this sequence:

1. Use Xcode 13 to build a tiny test app that displays the device name.

2. Do a Product > Archive.

3. From the Xcode organiser, export a Development signed app (.ipa).

4. Use the Finder to install that on your iOS 16 beta test device.

5. Run it.

The app displays the generic name (iPhone), not the device’s real name (Scout in a Can).

Share and Enjoy

Having now submitted several privacy entitlement requests, I am receiving the following answers from Apple:

"Thank you for your interest in the user-assigned device name entitlement. We need more information in order to review your request. Please review the entitlement documentation and provide screenshots of your app to show that the user-assigned device name is visible to the user."

Well, I would have loved to upload that screenshot in the first place, but the application form did not provide a possibility for that.

Now, that I still would love to upload that screenshot, Apple (still) does not tell me WHERE to upload it (the documentation page does not tell).

Does someone else have this information? ;-)

• I think they are just asking for a link - you can upload it to anywhere you want e.g. iCloud drive

Add a Comment