Would YOU use ClamXav on an Apple Mac?

Mac users often ask whether they should install "anti-virus" software. The answer usually given on ASC is "no." The answer is right, but it may give the wrong impression that there is no threat from what are loosely called "viruses." There is a threat, and you need to educate yourself about it.

1. This is a comment on what you should—and should not—do to protect yourself from malicious software ("malware") that circulates on the Internet and gets onto a computer as an unintended consequence of the user's actions. It does not apply to software, such as keystroke loggers, that may be installed deliberately by an intruder who has hands-on access to the computer, or who has been able to log in to it remotely. That threat is in a different category, and there's no easy way to defend against it.

The comment is long because the issue is complex. The key points are in sections 5, 6, and 10. OS X now implements three layers of built-in protection specifically against malware, not counting runtime protections such as execute disable, sandboxing, system library randomization, and address space layout randomization that may also guard against other kinds of exploits. 2. All versions of OS X since 10.6.7 have been able to detect known Mac malware in downloaded files, and to block insecure web plugins. This feature is transparent to the user. Internally Apple calls it "XProtect." The malware recognition database used by XProtect is automatically updated; however, you shouldn't rely on it, because the attackers are always at least a day ahead of the defenders. The following caveats apply to XProtect: ☞ It can be bypassed by some third-party networking software, such as BitTorrent clients and Java applets. ☞ It only applies to software downloaded from the network. Software installed from a CD or other media is not checked. As new versions of OS X are released, it's not clear whether Apple will indefinitely continue to maintain the XProtect database of older versions such as 10.6. The security of obsolete system versions may eventually be degraded. Security updates to the code of obsolete systems will stop being released at some point, and that may leave them open to other kinds of attack besides malware. 3. Starting with OS X 10.7.5, there has been a second layer of built-in malware protection, designated "Gatekeeper" by Apple. By default, applications and Installer packages downloaded from the network will only run if they're digitally signed by a developer with a certificate issued by Apple. Software certified in this way hasn't necessarily been tested by Apple, but you can be reasonably sure that it hasn't been modified by anyone other than the developer. His identity is known to Apple, so he could be held legally responsible if he distributed malware. That may not mean much if the developer lives in a country with a weak legal system (see below.) Gatekeeper doesn't depend on a database of known malware. It has, however, the same limitations as XProtect, and in addition the following: ☞ It can easily be disabled or overridden by the user. ☞ A malware attacker could get control of a code-signing certificate under false pretenses, or could simply ignore the consequences of distributing codesigned malware. ☞ An App Store developer could find a way to bypass Apple's oversight, or the oversight could fail due to human error. Apple has so far failed to revoke the codesigning certificates of some known abusers, thereby diluting the value of Gatekeeper and the Developer ID program. These failures don't involve App Store products, however. For the reasons given, App Store products, and—to a lesser extent—other applications recognized by Gatekeeper as signed, are safer than others, but they can't be considered absolutely safe. "Sandboxed" applications may prompt for access to private data, such as your contacts, or for access to the network. Think before granting that access. Sandbox security is based on user input. Never click through any request for authorization without thinking. 4. Starting with OS X 10.8.3, a third layer of protection has been added: a "Malware Removal Tool" (MRT). MRT runs automatically in the background when you update the OS. It checks for, and removes, malware that may have evaded the other protections via a Java exploit (see below.) MRT also runs when you install or update the Apple-supplied Java runtime (but not the Oracle runtime.) Like XProtect, MRT is effective against known threats, but not against unknown ones. It notifies you if it finds malware, but otherwise there's no user interface to MRT. 5. The built-in security features of OS X reduce the risk of malware attack, but they are not, and never will be, complete protection. Malware is a problem of human behavior, and a technological fix is not going to solve it. Trusting software to protect you will only make you more vulnerable. The best defense is always going to be your own intelligence. With the possible exception of Java exploits, all known malware circulating on the Internet that affects a fully-updated installation of OS X 10.6 or later takes the form of so-called "****** horses," which can only have an effect if the victim is duped into running them. The threat therefore amounts to a battle of wits between you and the scam artists. If you're smarter than they think you are, you'll win. That means, in practice, that you always stay within a safe harbor of computing practices.

By Linc Davis - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6460085

Accepted Reply

Thank you for this comment.

Replies

Thank you for this comment.

Snit's response is NOT an "Accepted" reply!

I'm keen to discover why there have been no other responses.

Can you, will you, help?

Thanks.

I'm keen to discover why there have been no other responses.

That’s likely because you’re in the wrong place. Your post is targeted at Apple Support Communities, run by Apple Support, but you posted it to Apple Developer Forums, run by Worldwide Developer Relations.

We’re not able to move threads between the two, so I recommend that you try again over on ASC.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

My last post here has been removed.

Will you respond if I email you, "eskimo"?

Please advise.

My last post here has been removed.

Yeah, it look like the moderators took my previous reply to heart!

Regarding the specific question you posed:

Do YOU advocate the use of anti-malware software on an Apple computer?

I’m not going to comment on that because my job here at Apple is to help developers use the APIs in our various platform SDKs and your question doesn’t fall under that remit.

Will you respond if I email you, "eskimo"?

Yes, but with the same response I posted here, so you can save us all some cycles by not doing that (-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"