RealityKit Sample Project Issues; Performance and Crashes

Hi,

please let me know if I should rather file feedback for this, but I figured it's worth to flag it one way or an another:

Test Xcode Version: 14.0 beta 6 (14A5294g)

1. Project »Altering RealityKit Rendering with Shader Functions« This project crashes right away when running it on a device (iOS 15 and 16).

Screenshot:

2. Project »Altering RealityKit Rendering with Shader FunctionsUsing object capture assets in RealityKit« Suffers from pretty bad performance when run on a device – barely scratching 20-25fps on an iPhone 12 Pro. iPhone XS even less.

Screenshot:

As these are official sample project I feel like they should work flawlessly out of the box.

Best Arthur

Replies

Hello Arthur,

please let me know if I should rather file feedback for this, but I figured it's worth to flag it one way or an another:

Yes, please file feedbacks for these two issues.

The crash is caused because, "BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBDISPATCH: dispatch_sync called on queue already owned by current thread". In this case, the DispatchQueue.main.sync calls from the main thread are causing this.

There are probably a variety of factors contributing to the performance issue in the second project, if you are encountering performance issues in your own app that you cannot reconcile or find a way of alleviating, please Request Technical Support.

Hi Arthur, for project 1, we’ve gotten other reports of issues with this sample and will investigate. For project 2, this is likely a ‘behaves correctly’ scenario. The CustomMaterial API is very expensive, and we’ve seen performance issues like this on older devices. Like gchiste mentioned, feedback items would be great for these two issues.

underwater RealityKit works bad as well.