Xcode 14.1: Account Authentication Failure

Since Xcode was updated to version 14.1 I see a yellow cloud in the top status bar. When I click on it, a message appears: "Account Authentication Failure - There was problem authenticating your Apple ID ([username]). Sign in again in the Accounts preference pane." I tried the following, nothing helped:

• delete my account and sign in again in the Accounts preference pane
  • restart Xcode
  • restart the computer

I assume it's a problem with version 14.1. The problem occured immediately after the update to version 14.1.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of RickyRose Down vote post of RickyRose
17k views
  • Exactly the problem for me after upgrading to Xcode 14.1.

Tried deleting and re-adding my AppleID account in the XCode Account Prefs., restarting Xcode, rebooting the computer. - No joy.

I also tried creating an app-specific password for Xcode, but the Xcode Account prefs page did not accept the app-specific password - it had to be the main AppleID password.

• I also have this problem this morning after updating to Xcode 14.1 (from 14.0). And I also tried the same steps as above multiple times but still received the same message.

• I have the same problem. Nothing helped.

Replies

I have same issue... 14.2

Add a Comment

same..

same xcode 14.1

bump

Same issue, is this still not resolved?

Xcode Version 14.2 same issue

Same issue, trying to get started with Apple development but there's seemingly no way to log in? It takes my password okay, then it shows a little yellow icon saying it couldn't authenticate. What gives?

Same. :(

Same for me ;-(

Same issue on 14.2

I have tried everything mentioned. Asked on Reddit, Stackoverflow, numerous dicords...

Same issue on 14.2, so I can't to test my app on my device as this issue prevents Xcode generating the signing certificate... I have a free developer account for now. Does this issue affect only free developer accounts or also paid accounts?

I found a workaround! Well, it will work if you're like me and the only reason why you upgraded Xcode is because it wouldn't recognize your device anymore (this happened to me after I upgraded my iPadOS to 16.2). Then the solution is to downgrade Xcode but with some missing files that you take from Xcode 14.2 so your previous Xcode version can recognize your device.

Here are the details: Locate Xcode (version 14.2) in the Applications folder, right click "Show package contents", navigate to Contents > Developer > Platforms > iPhoneOS.platform (or any other platform) > DeviceSupport. Then copy the folder(s) that are missing in your previous Xcode app in that same location (for me it was the "16.1" folder).

Then start the old Xcode app and it will recognize your device and you won't have that buggy 'Account Authentication Failure' anymore!

webfx23, Can you explain in more detail What to do with folders and where to copy them?

• Sure! You actually found it, this is exactly that "16.1" folder in your screenshot I was talking about. All I did then was to right-click and select "Copy", then I went to the old version of Xcode to the same location (where that "16.1" folder was absent) and select "Paste" there. Have you an older version of Xcode (< 14.1) installed as well? Maybe this is the missing point. You need one as destination of your copy. And then use that patched Xcode. Let me know if it works.

Add a Comment

Amsterdance26: Sure! You actually found the folder "16.1" I was talking about from the Xcode 14.2 package content. All you need to do now is to copy it and paste it in your previous Xcode version that was working before (same location within the package content), and then you keep and use only that patched Xcode. It worked for me, let me know if it works for you.

webfx23, thank you so much, my friend! But I can't find folder with previous Xcode version( Where is it? On my screenshot version after last update. Can you add screenshot to your next message and write local link to folder of previous Xcode version, please?