Can i use fingerprint reader?

Hi everyone. For example, i want to develop attendance check application. User will come to classroom, then they will use fingerprint reader and my app will check on databases that any match on. (I will register before) Can i use my fingerprint reader for my application? In macos or ios? platform dosen't matter. Thanks in advance.

Accepted Reply

To start, I want to be clear that you won’t be able to use the built-in Touch ID sensor for this. While you can write code that uses it to authenticate the user, it’s not set up to handle arbitrary fingerprints from, say, a whole class of students.

Can i use my fingerprint reader for my application?

On macOS the answer is almost certainly “Yes.” macOS has very flexible APIs to communicate with external accessories.

On iOS the answer is “It depends.” iOS has much more limited APIs to communicate with external accessories. You’ll have to find a fingerprint reader that’s compatible with the APIs that third-party iOS apps have available to them.

I recommend that you start by researching fingerprint readers that are compatible with your target platform and do what you need them to do.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

To start, I want to be clear that you won’t be able to use the built-in Touch ID sensor for this. While you can write code that uses it to authenticate the user, it’s not set up to handle arbitrary fingerprints from, say, a whole class of students.

Can i use my fingerprint reader for my application?

On macOS the answer is almost certainly “Yes.” macOS has very flexible APIs to communicate with external accessories.

On iOS the answer is “It depends.” iOS has much more limited APIs to communicate with external accessories. You’ll have to find a fingerprint reader that’s compatible with the APIs that third-party iOS apps have available to them.

I recommend that you start by researching fingerprint readers that are compatible with your target platform and do what you need them to do.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Thank you for your reply.