Ventura Hack for FireWire Core Audio Support on Supported MacBook Pro and others...

Hi all, 

Apple dropping on-going development for FireWire devices that were supported with the Core Audio driver standard is a catastrophe for a lot of struggling musicians who need to both keep up to date on security updates that come with new OS releases, and continue to utilise their hard earned investments in very expensive and still pristine audio devices that have been reduced to e-waste by Apple's seemingly tone-deaf ignorance in the cries for on-going support. 

I have one of said audio devices, and I'd like to keep using it while keeping my 2019 Intel Mac Book Pro up to date with the latest security updates and OS features. 

Probably not the first time you gurus have had someone make the logical leap leading to a request for something like this, but I was wondering if it might be somehow possible of shoe-horning the code used in previous versions of Mac OS that allowed the Mac to speak with the audio features of such devices to run inside the Ventura version of the OS. 

Would it possible? Would it involve a lot of work? I don't think I'd be the only person willing to pay for a third party application or utility that restored this functionality.

There has to be 100's of thousands of people who would be happy to spare some cash to stop their multi-thousand dollar investment in gear to be so thoughtlessly resigned to the scrap heap. 

Any comments or layman-friendly explanations as to why this couldn’t happen would be gratefully received! 

Thanks, 

em

• same for me, it is a shame to trash useful hardware for questionable features, I cannot see any reason why not support fw audio devices anymore. I still like the Ventura upgrade but I have to downgrade because of this and then what, buy new audio device or look elsewhere for support?

• I was unable to get this fix/hack to install. System would not grant permission even though I disabled security mode. I am desperate for a fix. Any ideas?

• I will add, I am a professional Voice Actor with studio equipment that has required endless cables and adapters to accommodate new Mac upgrades but this is a real kick in the pants. I hope MAC places a real fix in the OS because this is the livelihood of many studio owners.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Same here, really not happy with Apple on this one. Planned obsolescence on perfectly working hardware

• Does anyone know how to copy AppleFWAudio.kext to Exrtensions?

Add a Comment

Replies

Have been playing around with getting this to work this afternoon. I'm on a Mac Mini M2 PRO + Ventura 13.2. I wasn't able to make the installer work, unfortunately. So I used 'Suspicious Package' to extract the AppleFWAudio.kext file from the installer. I've dabbled for years in the Tonymacx86.com world, so I am somewhat used to doing this sort of thing.

1. I first went into Recovery mode & set the Startup Security Utility > Security Policy... Allow user management of kernel extensions... as recommended.
  2. Next, did a manual install to /Library/Extensions.
  3. Finished up by using one of my old CustomMac tools, Kext Wizard to execute a "Repair Permissions" (disk permissions on the disk), followed by "Rebuild Cache" to rebuild system kext caches.
  4. Rebooted.

Behold the System Report shows my Onyx-1220i audio mixer with integrated FW audio interface:

...but nothing shows up in the Sound System Settings option. I have another audio interface now that is my primary interface, but I could sure use the extra input channels with doing a bigger session & need more than 8 channels of input (other interface has 8 mic pre's).

If anyone is following along who has gotten this to work on the M2, I'd love to hear from you! Thanks in advance!

I have managed to get this working on an M2 2023 MacBookPro. I'm using an Apogee Ensemble Firewire and it is now detected and works, mostly. I had to use kmutil myself to get the kernel extension to load. The script in the package didn't work so I just grabbed the files from it using Suspicious Package, disabled SIP, modified my Startup Security Utility settings and then ran kmutil in the terminal.

However, I have been having problems with my system crashing at random intervals when using the ensemble. I'm going to keep tinkering and see if I can figure out a work around. Any assistance folks can provide would be greatly appreciated. I noticed a similar situation for folks here: eyetvforum.com/index.php?/topic/305278-incompatibility-with-macos-13-ventura-beta/ My console reports: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/FWAUserLib.framework/Versions/A/FWAUserLib

Thanks Apple 🤬😡🤯 You now disabled this ability in Ventura 13.4 🤬😡🤯 I have no words.... Now I'm getting error message that this Kext cannot be loaded. Once I'm clicking on "Allow" button, I'm getting to the loop where I need restart computer.

WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU APPLE??

It seems to be a bug in Ventura 13.4. Even Apple's kext is not loading even if I click Allow.

I removed the following kext from "/Library/Apple/System/Library/Extensions" and this message is gone.

AppleKextExcludeList.kext AppleMobileDevice.kext RemoteVirtualInterface.kext

Looks like they are from/and for Xcode (not sure). But this is system kext's and they worked before fine. It is obvious that this is a HUGE bug ((

Can confirm that matt's fix still works on the most current version of Ventura as of 5/30 on a M2 MacBook Air. Lifesaver! Thanks a lot!

@DBProductions I am at a similar stage with my UAD Satellite Thunderbolt. I can find it in the computers Hardware Menu but the software isn't seeing it.

Do either you or @matt9 any ideas on what to do?

Thanks.

Hey! Need help from you guys. I´m got a Mac Mini M2 Pro, with ventura installed, i have a Mackie Onyx 1640i, Firewire audio interface. With the help of this post, i was able to make Ventura recognise the audio interface in the System Report, on the firewire devices, but it doesn´t appear on Audio Midi Setup, System Sound or in Ableton Live. I followed all steps from this post, minus the "kmutil" command, it always give me an error. Anyone can help me please? I need this audio interface to work...thanks in advance

• Hi all, i have the same problem with my UAD2 Satellite Thunderbolt, I can find it in the computers Hardware Menu but the software isn't seeing it.

Do either @DBProductions or @matt9 have any ideas or help please on what to do?

Anyone can help me please? I need this interface to work Thanks to all in advance

I am music producer. It's a shame how apple in our days is treating the legacy of Steve Jobs and his clients!

Add a Comment

Thank you, @matt9! Adding the extension worked on my MacBook Pro 13-inch, M2, 2022 running Ventura 13.4.1 (c) with an original Presonus Firepod and GarageBand.

The install claimed it failed, and the System crashed a few times at first, but eventually restarting with the interface plugged made it stable.

• Hi @mildavw , Glad it worked on your end, by any chance do you enable your SIP back or leave it disabled?

Add a Comment

Has anyone tried this on Catalina? I have some audio devices that I'd really like to "recover".

Any hacks for Catalina? I'm in the same boat with my audio gear :(

Catalina is not really a problem, is it? I mean, I can use my old Alesis io26 on Catalina just fine. It's just the Alesis HDM app that won't work because it's 32-bit so the io26 channel routing can only be changed when booting from an earlier OS partition, in my case El Capitan.

I couldn't make the io26 run on Ventura though.

Hey all, Matt's fix has worked to get my Onyx 1640i working with my new M2 Air (Ventura); however, anytime I power on the mixer the laptop screen goes purple and it crashes and restarts within a minute. Usually after the restart it will proceed without error. It also would crash if I booted up the laptop with the mixer already connected and powered. Anybody experience this and have a fix?

Hi, @matt9 the AppleFWAudioVentura.pkg, for some reason (perhaps due to permissions), doesn't fully work on macOS Sonoma 14.2.

However, it successfully copied /Library/Extensions/AppleFWAudio.kext into the system.

To fully install the AppleFWAudio.kext extension you must:

1. Fix file permissions: sudo chown -R 0:0 /Library/Extensions/AppleFWAudio.kext/
  2. Manually load AppleFWAudio.kext: sudo kmutil load -p /Library/Extensions/AppleFWAudio.kext
  3. Reboot

Finally, Sonoma 14.2 fully supports my Edirol FA-66 on my DAW.

Thank you again for your support.

• I had the same experience with 14.2.1 and an echo audiofirepre8, but also had to jump through some SIP hoops and such.

!!! appears to be working.

My last mac was an iMac g3. I failed to stay with apple when they switched to intel, as I prefer linux-- but no good linux DAWs at the time. Ardour changed that. Bought a 2nd-hand air m1 because i like fanless & could dork w/asahi worst case. This fix working was unexpected. If apple decides to support FW coreaudio without a hack, i'm back in.

Add a Comment

Re-enabling SIP after install breaks this? Do I have that right?

Not a very smart move from Apple to remove Firewire support. Even removing support for 32 bit audio was foolish. And now even TB2 as I´ve read somewhere... Since one must assume all these decisions are made thinking in what way to sell more Mac computers, the result is when - like me anyway - one has invested in hardware (Ive got 3 TC Konnekt48 units connected to a Mac Pro 5.1. I was planning on being a new M3 Mac, either Studio Mac or MacBook Pro. But with no support (even for thunderbolt 2) I hesitate and am actually thinking of going back to PC. I can get my Audio Units working on a PC. Partly because of TC but anyway.

The funny thing is I get the units working and even without the "hack" in this thread Open Core patcher gets it working in Sonoma, but ONLY the inputs. Audio out I have to use internal digital out connecting an optical cable from the Mac to one of the Konnekt48:s. This actually works just fine. Until I want more than stereo out off coarse, or if I want to use my outboard gear as inserts.

I was hoping this hack would give me the outputs back, but not yet anyway. They did. work in Catalina and that´s the reason I haven't given up yet. I have seen some other people having this audio out problems with other FW interfaces so I´m not alone there.

But to buy a M3 I seem to need a TB3 interface and that would mean at least two Apollo 8p´s. That's the price of two Macs more, and I´m note even sure yet they are TB3. Are they? And when will Apple abandon TB3? If I wait for M4 maybe that´s gone too.......??

I heard the PC people are looking to match the M chips so...