Ventura Hack for FireWire Core Audio Support on Supported MacBook Pro and others...

Hi all, 

Apple dropping on-going development for FireWire devices that were supported with the Core Audio driver standard is a catastrophe for a lot of struggling musicians who need to both keep up to date on security updates that come with new OS releases, and continue to utilise their hard earned investments in very expensive and still pristine audio devices that have been reduced to e-waste by Apple's seemingly tone-deaf ignorance in the cries for on-going support. 

I have one of said audio devices, and I'd like to keep using it while keeping my 2019 Intel Mac Book Pro up to date with the latest security updates and OS features. 

Probably not the first time you gurus have had someone make the logical leap leading to a request for something like this, but I was wondering if it might be somehow possible of shoe-horning the code used in previous versions of Mac OS that allowed the Mac to speak with the audio features of such devices to run inside the Ventura version of the OS. 

Would it possible? Would it involve a lot of work? I don't think I'd be the only person willing to pay for a third party application or utility that restored this functionality.

There has to be 100's of thousands of people who would be happy to spare some cash to stop their multi-thousand dollar investment in gear to be so thoughtlessly resigned to the scrap heap. 

Any comments or layman-friendly explanations as to why this couldn’t happen would be gratefully received! 

Thanks, 

em

• same for me, it is a shame to trash useful hardware for questionable features, I cannot see any reason why not support fw audio devices anymore. I still like the Ventura upgrade but I have to downgrade because of this and then what, buy new audio device or look elsewhere for support?

• I was unable to get this fix/hack to install. System would not grant permission even though I disabled security mode. I am desperate for a fix. Any ideas?

• I will add, I am a professional Voice Actor with studio equipment that has required endless cables and adapters to accommodate new Mac upgrades but this is a real kick in the pants. I hope MAC places a real fix in the OS because this is the livelihood of many studio owners.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Same here, really not happy with Apple on this one. Planned obsolescence on perfectly working hardware

• Does anyone know how to copy AppleFWAudio.kext to Exrtensions?

Add a Comment

Replies

Just adding a + one from me.

Apple are pushing out their loyal pro (audio and video) users though continual dropping of backward support like this and numerous other significant core features. It's no longer the case that Apple are the only player in these domains. We can jump to alternate platforms easily and cheaply. As Apple drops pro features they risks loosing vital trickle down capabilities that enrich their mass market product sets. A good example is Logic to Garage Band etc. The same will happen with their pro compute products. If they don't have the compatibility or the following who's going to buy these expansive products? They risk becoming just another consumer company.

We've put up with the lack of I/O, upgradeability, expensive hardwired resources (that cost an order of magnitude above OEM alternatives), deprecated support for not very old hardware, deprecated core components (like firewire), lack of 32bit support (that is a nightmare when you need to open older client files that use old 32bit plugins) etc etc. I'm also resist a long rant on challenges with older media access (like floppy, SCSI, CDROM especially in alternate formats like sampler images etc). Even Logic not supporting older project file versions (***? That is totally unacceptable - and yes I am aware you can import some items but come on - this is just lazy). How many times are we expected to just wear this in the name of "progress". Personally I run multiple platforms/images with various OS and hardware combinations - just so I can load my historical sessions, projects and media. Windows is far more forgiving with backwards support and broad compatibility.

APPLE Please listen to your community. We are begging you to consider the impact of dropping backward support and please consult with us. You can start with reinstating Firewire support. PLEASE

@matt9 or for any other members. Does anyone know if this AppleFWAudio.kext is enough for Firewire scanners? I've successfully installed @matt9 's AppleFWAudio.kext and I can see in my SystemReport Firewire there, except my Minolta dImage Scanner has come up as Uknown.

Looking at some really older MacOS installations (from Panther onwards) I noticed there's also the IOFireWireFamily.kext. Is this needed? Is there any way to get the Monterey version of IOFireWireFamily.kext if it's needed?

Add a Comment

It's a shame. Anyone with Apogee Rosetta on M2 Mac Mini? Is it working?

Looking to get my Mackie Onyx 1620i working in the latest Sonoma, wondering if there are any updates to @matt9's method (especially in regards to crashing upon waking/sleep)? Found this, and doubt it's related, but would be nice if there was a backdoor terminal command to re-enable CoreAudio firewire support:

https://support.apple.com/en-jo/108387

What's the procedure for CoreAudio firewire hack on Sonoma? What are the caveats?

@matt9 - Thank you for taking the time to share your hack. I am deeply grateful for your generosity. Confirmed to be working on a M2 Mac Studio, Ventura 13.6.4 with a Roland Edirol FA-101 interface. It took about 5 reboots and various attempts in the terminal to fix the file permissions and manual load using kmutil AND allowing the FW .kext kernel permissions in System Settings > Privacy & Security. I experienced a few kernel panics during the 5 reboots which were a worry, but once every was signed and loaded properly, my system is stable with no more random crashes. AND my firewire interface is running very happily with Logic Pro, which is a godsend for my work. Thank you thank you!!